Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:02 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,107,076 times

Advertisements

Not everyone "loves" shopping or considers it fun. So, we probably don't care if Kohls never comes. We certainly don't want to see another Big Box store.

However, I am sure that if there was sufficient need for another store like that, they would be here in a flash. They probably have a research department that does nothing but look for likely sites. Savannah must not have good sales potential for them. As to why they advertise in the area? They must have money that they need to spend and ads are useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 10:28 AM

56 posts, read 223,946 times
As Savannah continues to grow and people continue to relocate here from larger metro areas, there will be more and more chain stores that continue to open. As long as they are not tearing down historic structures to build, it is a good thing and helps the economy with jobs and tax revenue. With the current state of the economy, it will be awhile before any large chains start opening again, except for the rare exceptions like the HH Gregg store.

I personally would like to see the malls in Savannah become a bit more upscale and have some better stores open. Sure there are plenty of cute independent boutiques all around town (I own one myself) but I just don't have the time to drive all over the place and park just to find clothes and other things I need. It really would be great to just have one really good mall in Savannah where you could go and get what you need quickly. Speaking from the perspective of a a New Jersey native that has lived all over the NE, the malls here in SAV are truly horrendous.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:36 AM

70 posts, read 336,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela_S View Post
As Savannah continues to grow and people continue to relocate here from larger metro areas, there will be more and more chain stores that continue to open. As long as they are not tearing down historic structures to build, it is a good thing and helps the economy with jobs and tax revenue. With the current state of the economy, it will be awhile before any large chains start opening again, except for the rare exceptions like the HH Gregg store.

I personally would like to see the malls in Savannah become a bit more upscale and have some better stores open. Sure there are plenty of cute independent boutiques all around town (I own one myself) but I just don't have the time to drive all over the place and park just to find clothes and other things I need. It really would be great to just have one really good mall in Savannah where you could go and get what you need quickly. Speaking from the perspective of a a New Jersey native that has lived all over the NE, the malls here in SAV are truly horrendous.

Couldn't agree more. I'd never want to see the architectural integrity of this wonderful place EVER be compromised!!! We enjoy visiting Charleston because there are more shops/malls, beautiful history, etc, but love that they keep the historic district, french quarter, battery park, etc ALL historical! It's a beautiful city! And you're right! As more people relocate here for the military, Gulfstream, misc. job, southern/ocean life, just because, etc, the more that will come! This is also a BIG tourism city, and for that reason alone, downtown will hopefully always remain enchanting!

This upcoming and currently ongoing project is pretty exciting: Savannah River Landing

Old 07-27-2009, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 13,402 times
Dicks sporting goods would suit me. I'm all for local, but we don't even have a decent local sporting goods store much less a national chain. BassPro doesn't count. You can't buy baseball gear there. Hibbets in the Savannah mall is ok, but you could fit 50 of them in a Dicks. It's bizzare to me in an area that is so sports crazy there isn't a decent sporting good store. Or does Savannah just like to watch sports not actually play them?

Old 07-29-2009, 11:04 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,575,727 times
Costco and Trader Joes are the two stores I want....

Old 07-29-2009, 02:43 PM

12 posts, read 24,839 times
Default Me too

and a Whole Foods!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:28 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,839,725 times
Bed Bath and Beyonce is overpriced IMO

Old 07-30-2009, 12:31 PM

47 posts, read 236,373 times
Buy local!

Old 08-03-2009, 09:36 AM

70 posts, read 336,022 times
While local seems like a good idea, there just isn't enough variety. Dick's would be great, or even a small Sports Authority, etc.

I agree though, my 2 biggies are TRADER JOES and WHOLE FOODS! Of course, I wouldn't mind a PF Changs, which I have heard is coming to the new River Street expansion in a couple of years! One thing about Savannah though, you can NEVER go hungry in this town! There are so many casual and upscale dining establishments and all that are unique to the area and non-chain businesses! We love that. It will take us years to try all of the different places here!

Old 08-03-2009, 12:47 PM

56 posts, read 223,946 times
I just herard this weekend that Savannah mall had been attempting to talk Kohl's into the Steve & Barry's but they would not do it becasue it is on the backside of the mall. Not sure how accurate this is but that's the story I got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area