Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:06 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,847,763 times

Advertisements

yes it is complete, but unfortunately it really doesnt save a whole lot of time. It's basically like GA 316 between lawrenceville and athens... there are multiple stoplights along the route. It is a 4 lane divided highway, but does not interchanges like an interstate. Hopefuly it will be upgraded to interstate grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 02:08 PM

129 posts, read 324,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
I've always thought comparing Augusta and savannah were like comparing apples and oranges.. though they may be similar in size, their economies are totally different. A better comparison for Savannah is Charleston.. for Augusta, a better comparison is Macon, Columbus, Montgomery, and maybe Jackson, MS

Yes . I agree.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:12 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,055,572 times
Metro Augusta is 535,000 people. So the GDP is higher than metro Savannah, Columbus and Macon. Augusta metro GDP should be higher. Its 200,000 more people than metro Savannah, and 250,000 more than metro Columbus, and 300,000 more than metro Macon. Metro Charleston is 644,000, & the GDP is alot higher than metro Savannah. Look at the stores on King street in Charleston. Savannah can't even beat Augusta in retail. Macon and Columbus don't even come close. Economies produce money, which retail needs to survive.

Last edited by nortonguy; 08-01-2009 at 02:48 PM..

Old 08-01-2009, 02:23 PM

Im being realistic about the situation. Check the metro areas # of jobs for each metro. Metro Augusta economy is notch above the other 2nd tier cities. Lil musket is biased against Augusta sometime. So you have to excuse him on certain post. Augusta retail includes Apple, Academy Outdoors, Sephora, Buybuy Baby, Dicks, Kohls, Williams-Sonoma, Aldo, Buckle, Jared Galleria Jewelry, Earthfare, Aerie, Forever 21, Surrey center stores, Broad street stores, LA sunset Tan, etc. Which is a notch above Savannah, Macon, and Columbus.

Metro Charleston economy is notch above Augusta. That's why retail in Charleston includes Saks and Lacoste. King street added a Apple in 2009 too.

Last edited by nortonguy; 08-01-2009 at 03:35 PM..

Old 08-01-2009, 09:34 PM

actually, population has little relavence to GDP. GDP is how much wealth is created in a particular area. For instance, India has more than 3 times the population of the US, but the US, by far has a larger GDP.
The port of Savannah brings in a ton of money to the state, in a much higher proportion than the population of Savannah. You also have to look at incomes.. some areas have higher percapita incomes.. and thus will boost their GDP. It's not all about population. If you factor in Hilton Head, that has a ton of wealth. With Savannah you have a robust tourism industry which brings in alot of outside money to the region. GDP is about money, not people.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:39 PM

Another thing about Savannah.. you notice that you don't have a lot of braggers on these forums trying to make the city into something it isn't or over exaggerating data. For some reason there is a self confidence issue with the Fall line cities that resembles a napoleonic complex. You see the same pattern with all of the Fall line cities trying to convince everyone they are better than the other. I just don't get it. All of these places have their pros and cons, and overall are unique.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
actually, population has little relavence to GDP. GDP is how much wealth is created in a particular area. For instance, India has more than 3 times the population of the US, but the US, by far has a larger GDP.
The port of Savannah brings in a ton of money to the state, in a much higher proportion than the population of Savannah. You also have to look at incomes.. some areas have higher percapita incomes.. and thus will boost their GDP. It's not all about population. If you factor in Hilton Head, that has a ton of wealth. With Savannah you have a robust tourism industry which brings in alot of outside money to the region. GDP is about money, not people.
Who said Savannah didn't bring in alot of money. I only said when you look at metro GDP. Savannah is third in the state of GA. I know you're biased against Augusta sometimes. Hilton Head is not in Savannah MSA or CSA. No point too factor in Hilton Head.

Last edited by nortonguy; 08-01-2009 at 11:22 PM..

Old 08-01-2009, 10:36 PM

Excuse me, but somebody from Savannah made this thread. None of the people from Augusta except two post on these city discussion threads... Augusta is competiting against South carolina three big cities. People in Augusta could care less about these debates. Im the only person from Augusta who post on them mainly. Sometimes Hot Mike gets in on the action. I only get involved when Augusta is mentioned. If Augusta is not mentioned I don't get involved. I have to defend my city, if somebody makes a untrue statement. Your quote

I've always thought comparing Augusta and savannah were like comparing apples and oranges.. though they may be similar in size, their economies are totally different. A better comparison for Savannah is Charleston.. for Augusta, a better comparison is Macon, Columbus, Montgomery, and maybe Jackson, MS

Metro Charleston is 644,000 people. Metro Savannah is 334,000. King street in Charleston has a Saks, Lacoste, and Apple. Are you really comparing metro Savannah economy to metro Charleston?

Earlier I just named all the retail in Augusta not yet in Savannah. Apple, Williams-Sonoma, Sephora, Kohls, Buybuy Baby, Earthfare etc.

Last edited by nortonguy; 08-01-2009 at 11:26 PM..

Old 08-02-2009, 02:13 AM

543 posts, read 1,313,223 times
Quote:
Another thing about Savannah.. you notice that you don't have a lot of braggers on these forums trying to make the city into something it isn't or over exaggerating data.
When have there been exaggerated information a bout Augusta? The only time I respond is when Augusta is mentioned.

Quote:
For some reason there is a self confidence issue with the Fall line cities that resembles a napoleonic complex. You see the same pattern with all of the Fall line cities trying to convince everyone they are better than the other. I just don't get it.
But I notice you make it a point to bring Augusta in the conversation by down-grading us. Comparing us to Macon and Columbus, knowing that we competing with South Carolina's premiere cities. I know and you know that in the past couple of years Augusta has seperated and still seperating itself from the rest.

Quote:
All of these places have their pros and cons, and overall are unique.
Arent you the guy whose always trying to say all the fall line cities are same except for Savannah? Now we are unique, thanks for clearing up for us. Savannah is cool and historic but it's only doing what any other coastal city will do, beaches, tourism and port industry. Savannah and Augusta are the 2 larger second tier cities in Georgia. Dont be such a hypocrite ****-face. Go Dawgs

Old 08-02-2009, 04:16 PM

27 posts, read 92,203 times
As per my original post, it is widely believed that Beaufort and Jasper counties should have been included in the Savannah MSA since at least the 2000 census and so has been flawed in not including Hilton Head that whole time. Hilton Head has a Saks, which I can get to within 30 minutes of downtown Savannah.

If you are going to put an emphasis on chains, then as for retail and food, Savannah has several that Augusta does not have, including the only Urban Outfitters or Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in GA outside of Atlanta. It also has had a Bass Pro Shops for 6 years, and Augusta's is still a long way from being done.

However, I think chains only take away from the uniqueness of a city. Savannah by far has a better selection of independent high-end retail, and as far as restaurants go, there is no contest. Savannah is internationally known for its cuisine and its destination restaurants, which, thankfully, are not chains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area