U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:46 AM

17,193 posts, read 20,203,102 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how the property taxes compare in, say Bluffton, SC, and Savannah?
Are they pretty much the same, or is one state significantly lower than the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 12:32 PM

6,978 posts, read 16,628,511 times
I don't know about Bluffton, but I suspect it's about the same as Savannah. There are State, County, City and Special District Taxes. Also, various discounts given because of home ownership, age, income level, etc. More desirable property will be taxed at a higher rate because of location.

In other words, it would depend on where you live. Both have waterfront property, which is taxed much higher than the inner city areas. Outside the city limits is less than within the limits, but you may pay for things like garbage collection and fire protection.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:28 PM

Thanks, Padgett, but I'm talking comparable properties. I wondered if it's something that is common knowledge for the people who live close to the border..that one may be generally lower than the other.
I have a note in to a real estate agent, too, and I've tried to get the research off the net, but so far am not finding it.
Problem is that I'm looking at new construction, so it's not like I can compare actual history on a specific property.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:06 PM

70 posts, read 235,331 times
Default Find an answer????

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Thanks, Padgett, but I'm talking comparable properties. I wondered if it's something that is common knowledge for the people who live close to the border..that one may be generally lower than the other.
I have a note in to a real estate agent, too, and I've tried to get the research off the net, but so far am not finding it.
Problem is that I'm looking at new construction, so it's not like I can compare actual history on a specific property.

Did you ever find an answer to this? I'm curious as well. Thanks!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:34 AM

hmolah, I did not find an answer, except I doubt if SC could be any cheaper than GA. I moved from OH to GA and my property taxes are less than half. However, I know they are going to sock me when I register my cars, and my auto insurance has doubled.
People I know who live in FL have said that, although there is no income tax, the property taxes are high. So I guess that every state has the same stuff to pay for, they just have different piles from which they get it.
Specifically, mine in GA is $1800. for a $250000. house. If you can find a comparable listing in SC that lists the property taxes, you can find out for sure.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:47 PM

70 posts, read 235,331 times
Ok, thanks. Our $125K house in Ohio (ironically from there as well) cost us about $1500 or so in taxes, so your $1800 on twice the house is really good. I did hear though, from another city-comparison website that property taxes are less in SC, but that personal-property taxes are more? I guess the taxes for autos, boats, etc is higher in SC vs. Ga. I will have to poke around more. We're considering a move to the Bluffton area. Just researching at this time. We really like the area up there and have for the 2 years we've lived in this area. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:05 PM

608 posts, read 710,333 times
Hi, I moved from Savannah to Bluffton, but still work in Savannah. My property taxes are much much lower in Bluffton. The reason why is because a lot of rich people have second homes in Beaufort County (HHI specifically) and what the county does is charges two different tax rates. The lower rate is for people who declare that their house in Beaufort county is their primary residence that they live in a majority of the year. The rest of the people, with vacation homes here get charged a much much higher rate. Taxes on my $209,000 house is about $95 a month. All of my other bills are lower to, power, sewer, etc. much lower. Bluffton is much safer, newer, cleaner, and with better schools generally. Taxes on autos in the county I think was around 10% the value of the car or a little less. My homeowner insurance was about the same as GA. The one big thing however was the price of houses. Both GA and SC got hit hard, however your money goes a lot farther if you buy a house in SC. Here I was able to buy a 3 bedroom 4 bathroom house brand spanking new for $209,000. In Savannah you would get something about 20 years old, and half the size if your lucky for the same amount of money.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:54 AM

5,346 posts, read 2,921,192 times
I work at Gulfstream and half of the folks here live in SC and commute everyday because it's cheaper.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:58 PM

4 posts, read 12,864 times
I agree that taxes are cheaper in SC. We own homes in both SC and GA. There is a dual tax rate depending on where you live most of the year. Since we live in Savannah most of the year, SC assessed us at the higher rate. However, that is still cheaper than we would pay here in Savannah. Additionally, because car taxes are cheaper in SC than they are in Chatham county we registered our brand new car in SC and saved a ton of money on taxes.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I work at Gulfstream and half of the folks here live in SC and commute everyday because it's cheaper.
I wish I knew that 6 months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area