Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times

Advertisements

http://savannahnow.com/news/2009-12-...eiled-thursday

So the latest proposal is out for the future of the DeRenne Avenue/I-516 Corridor. What are your opinions? Any suggestions? Criticisms?

I, for one, think this proposal is a good idea and represents some good new urbanism for an area inundated with traffic lights and strip malls. It'll give Midtown Savannah a more Savannah-ish feel and less of an every-city-U.S.A feel it has now. However, one thing I am worried about is the future of White Bluff. The plan has I-516's traffic taken from Hampstead to White Bluff. What will the traffic counts on White Bluff be after this happens? Anything like Abercorn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 09:21 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Good question about White Bluff! It's a lovely business area street because of the trees.....but the increased traffic will soon start a push to cut them down and widen White Bluff. I hope not.

We just have to consider that as Savannah grows, so will the traffic problem. What is the most important? Free Flowing traffic or beauty? I can remember the dogwoods that lined the area west of Skidaway. I still miss them every Spring. And I hate to think what that area would be if DeRenne had not been widened.

I can't see any way to reduce the total number of cars driven along Derenne without major demolition of property to establish some other east-west route. THEN, all we would have to do is worry about the north-south corridors. Waters, especially with the hospital traffic, is becoming too busy.

While I think the most recent solution to DeRenne is a step in the right direction, I don't think it's going to do much good. BUT, it's a start and I hope it goes along well. I hate the tax money part, but I can't see any other way too fund it.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:28 PM

726 posts, read 3,603,133 times
As more services move into West Chatham, I find that I rarely go down DeRenne anymore.
Before DeRenne and Abercorn traffic problems are "fixed", the problem will have "fixed" itself.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh View Post
As more services move into West Chatham, I find that I rarely go down DeRenne anymore.
Before DeRenne and Abercorn traffic problems are "fixed", the problem will have "fixed" itself.
I'm not so sure. That area of town is in the exact center of Savannah. As long as there are residents living in the city of Savannah, there will be a good amount of people going in and out of that area.

God help us if the whole city moves out.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:53 AM

726 posts, read 3,603,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I'm not so sure. That area of town is in the exact center of Savannah. As long as there are residents living in the city of Savannah, there will be a good amount of people going in and out of that area.

God help us if the whole city moves out.
I doubt that the city will depopulate, and the waterfront areas will still attract those who want to live there, but the middle class is moving West

I'm just saying that the volume of traffic on Derenne will moderate as the population center of Metro Savannah moves west and services move west and north. Poor city planning created the bottleneck, and the need of massive tax supported road improvements which at this time are not readily available. It is simply cheaper to build in West Chatham & Pooler is the center of Metvannah. Abercorn will be the center of Old Savannah and the Eastern Islands.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:46 PM

Here's an update on "Project DeRenne"

Project DeRenne Aims To Relieve Traffic Congestion - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

Old 04-24-2014, 11:23 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh View Post
this.

must things always grow grow grow. isn't this area built out mostly? (I don't know, just guessing based on driving around it occasionally) If so why will traffic grow? I've gone through there in rush hour occasionally it's not that bad. Then again it's not in my commute path or area so I can't speak too much for or against it.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:45 AM

Though you're quoting from a post 5 years old, it doesn't exactly factor in the reality that traffic will still increase regardless of if the area is built out or not. That is due to population growth in the metro area and the many medical jobs in the area. Also infill developments that occur.

Even if traffic did NOT increase, something seriously needs to be done about that entrance to midtown. It's ugly, obsolete roads that have not been addressed in decades. Even if you think traffic isn't that bad (and admittedly it isn't the worst on the planet), it is a rough area traffic-wise by Savannah standards and is still very frustrating to deal with. Status quo should NOT be tolerated here.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:07 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,335 times
fair enough, good point about the hospital/medical campuses. Yea I have to start looking at post dates too..

Old 04-24-2014, 04:25 PM

120 posts, read 168,737 times
On that diagram in the article, I can't figure out what is going on at the new traffic light on Hampstead. Are they reconfiguring part of White Bluff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: