Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2009, 06:44 PM

5 posts, read 11,302 times

Advertisements

My husband just got his orders for Fort Stewart. We are in our late 20's, no kids yet, and thinking we should buy a house. I have never even visited Georgia and now I'm moving there!!ahh!! I need a good suggestion for neighborhoods I should be researching before the move. I have lived in Dallas my whole life with a 5 minute commute to downtown Dallas. So I feel like I need to be as close as possible to the downtown Savannah area. I would love at least 3 bedrooms and a yard so I know I may need to be out aways in a suburb. (but if there is an amazing downtown area I can be persuaded to downsize!) I also would love to be close to shopping/restaurants. My husband said he doesn't mind a 45 min commute to Ft Stewart but he would hate much more. Is Isle of Hope good for us? Village at Autumn Lake? Or would I be happier somewhere in the heart of downtown??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 04:53 AM

11,380 posts, read 24,388,060 times
Don't buy, rent. It will take at least a year for you to get half an idea of where you might want to live. You have no kids, therefore there is no rush.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,143,372 times
"Downtown" Savannah is the Historic District. Lots of restaurants, but not many places to really buy things like groceries, everyday clothing, etc. Is that what you meant? The Southside has more supermarkets, stores, (Walmart, Target, etc) The bigest Malls are on the Southside. The shopping "downtown" is geared more to the tourist trade (think $$$$$$). The area near "downtown" can be very chancy.

Ellie is correct....RENT first. Savannah is not laid out in a typical fashion. However, it's small enough that no matter where you live, you can get to other areas fairly quickly. And Yes, if you want a yard, you may have to think about the Midtown or Southside areas.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:54 AM

7 posts, read 11,956 times
We own a vacation rental condo in the Historic District and have "visited" several times over the last five years. If it were just me and my husband without any kids, we would definately be moving into the Historic District!!!!! Live music, great food and beautiful scenery that you would never tire of right at your fingertips. There are small groceries in the HD and one larger chain and if you need a walmart or Mall its just a 5 or ten minute drive. If you plan on having children soon, however, go with a suburb; if not...... you're young......go where the fun and culture is!

Old 12-10-2009, 07:30 PM

5 posts, read 11,302 times
What area is the "southside"? I realize it is probably south of downtown, but is there an intersection of streets I can use for a frame of reference? Thank you so much for the input! We have been torn between renting and buying, but that new home buyers tax credit was making us lean towards buying.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:27 AM

11,380 posts, read 24,388,060 times
In general, anything south of Derenne Ave. is considered the Southside.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:54 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,592,494 times
You might want to look in the Georgetown, Autumn Lakes, Southbridge area Isle of Hope would be a tough commute.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:50 PM

541 posts, read 2,135,442 times
Welcome to my world!!! We just got orders to Stewart as well. I've drove through GA before, but never spent any time there nor have I seen Savannah!

Good luck with your search!!!

Old 01-02-2010, 06:34 PM

7 posts, read 15,152 times
I am relocating to Savannah and would appreciate more info about living in the city, as opposed to the suburbs....please! I am a 50 year old single woman and I don't know a soul, so I don't want to feel isolated. Being in the center of it all appeals to me too. What is the most exclusive area? Location counts in real estate! Thanks for any help...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area