Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 06:44 AM

98 posts, read 389,304 times

Advertisements

So, I've lived in Savannah for almost 3 years now and I have heard gunshots 3 times. The first time was downtown in my apartment. I was watching TV one night and directly outside of my bedroom window I heard a car pull up and shoot 5-6 shots into another building across the street from me. The second time was in the same apartment, but it was about a block away. I decided to move out of downtown to be a little more safe, and apparently that won't even work in this town. I live in Thunderbolt now and I heard about 7 or 8 shots last night. It was close enough to my apartment complex that I called the cops. Did anybody else hear them last night? This city is like the wild west...unless you have an unlimited amount of money or are just visiting for a weekend, you really aren't safe no matter where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 07:58 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
In my old neighborhood I'd hear them at least once a week, sometimes nightly. That nonsense gets old.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:49 PM

Savannah is too beautiful of a city for this to be happening. The crime is so out of control here in relation to the size of this city.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:53 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Ugh. This is an over hyped subject. I've lived downtown for over 2 years and have yet to hear a gunshot. There are patches of bad areas but it's not the whole darn city!

PS: You know, fireworks sometimes sound a lot like gun shots. You probably heard that at least one out of those three times.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:19 AM

Listen, I know what gunshots sound like. I'm a hunter and I don't own a hand gun myself, but I do go to the gun range sometimes with friends. I can tell the difference between a fire cracker and a 9mm. This is definately not an over hyped subject by the way. The same night I heard the last gunshots a lady, downtown, was shot while she was being robbed. Granted the 700 block of Bolton isn't in the greatest area of town, but I'd like to think Thunderbolt is pretty safe.
I didn't include this information in my last post, but the first time I heard shots at my apt down town my roomate (who had been living there for a year or so) pointed out a hole in the window that was caused by a bullet a few months prior. Also, he pointed out to me the blood stain on the sidewalk right outside of the living room window and said that about 6 months prior, somebody was shot and killed there. He didn't want to tell me before I moved in, and I was pretty upset about that.
Granted, if you can afford to live between River St. to the north, Gaston St. to the South, MLK to the West and Price to the East you might be a little safer. I still wouldn't walk around at night by yourself or with friends.

http:savannahnow.com/latest-news/2009-12-16/woman-shot-tuesday-night-serious-stable-condition (broken link)

Last edited by RelocatingHoosier; 12-17-2009 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: Add a link

Old 12-17-2009, 11:34 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
There are safe areas south of Gaston. As a matter of fact, I live south of there. I'm in the vicinity of Anderson, on the west side of the railroad tracks. It's very safe. Even at night. I frequently go running between here and Forsyth Park and there are usually a few people out with me, even after dark (no, not strange looking people, people going about their every day lives, SCAD students).

I'm not sure I would feel as safe if I were on the east side of the tracks, however.

Point is, Savannah is a safe place but does have crime. It's not unlike any other town's crime of it's size.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:43 PM

According to morganquinto.com savannah is ranked 8th most dangerous metropolitan area in the US. Many of the agencies that rank cities as either safe or dangerous require that each city report 6 categories: Murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and motor vehicle theft.
I'm not the most articulate person in the world and I was able to find this blogger who does a much better job explaining that Savannah IS a dangerous city than I can.
Here is the link:
http://savannahred.blogspot.com/2007...en-though.html

Now, I know we all aren't going to agree that Savannah is a "dangerous" city, but I think we can all agree that we won't be seeing Savannah on any lists claiming that it is a safe place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area