Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 06:07 AM

78 posts, read 368,024 times

Advertisements

I have family and friends in Savannah. For the most part they all like it. There are areas you just know to stay out of.
They mostly live out a little ways closer to Armstrong and 95 towards Richmond Hill. (I think)
The only issue any of them have had is a domestic dispute taking place in the apartment next to them that ended in a murder suicide.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 07:32 PM

65 posts, read 370,677 times
Why would you move to Savannah when you could go anywhere in Florida at in-state tuition rates? The beaches and the weather are 100 times better in Florida!

Old 03-16-2008, 11:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Think its better to say " 4 big men" instead of "4 big black men"?
Why?

If four large rednecks kicked a door in most would say "4 large rednecks robbed us". No need to be PC on one particular group.

Per capita Savannah (like Atlanta) has a high crime rate. Many of the crimes are commited by young black males due to the makeup of the population within the city limits. Stats, not racism.

Of course, there are things to ask: Was this a random crime, or are you known in the neighborhood or community for having a lot of nice things in your home? Ultra expensive car parked out front? etc. Sometimes just being "known" can make you a larger target than the average person.

Doing certain proactive things can help, too. Using extra long screws in the plates of deadbolts greatly improves their strength, as well as actually adding a second deadbolt 1.5 feet above where the standard ones are can help prevent people from being able to kick doors in. Using laminated glass or glass with impact film (burglar resistant film) on your lower levels as well as good window locks helps keep them out of your windows. Keeping an outside light on, a monitored security system on when you aren't home or go to bed, etc.

Granted, a single young woman walking around after dark in ANY city or town these days might be at risk, so you need to simply use common sense, be observant, keep home and cars locked, and try to walk in groups after dark when possible. You can live in NYC, Savannah or Pooducky Idaho and still be a victim if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:24 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsrichards View Post
Why would you move to Savannah when you could go anywhere in Florida at in-state tuition rates? The beaches and the weather are 100 times better in Florida!
Why are Floridians flocking to GA?

Rhetorical question.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:17 AM

3 posts, read 10,793 times
I meant raise THEIR children, not they're! I hate grammar errors...

Old 01-31-2009, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,403 times
I love Savannah & graduated from SCAD. It is one of the best schools an artist could wish for. I had intended to get my Masters degree from SCAD also, but I had to leave directly after graduation because too many things happened.
I lived in a very nice part of town, was not out galavanting at night, and was not wild. I went to class, library, and work. I was held up at gunpoint at the FBI building downtown, raped in my home, car broken into, and police arrested a 'peeping tom' who was trying to also reside in the shed in back of our home. He cut the wires to our outside lights & unscrewed the lightbulb that lit our porch. A neighbor thankfully saw him & called the police. This is within a two year period. I stayed there throughout all of these incidents because I am a strong individual who wanted to finish my degree & not let ANYONE or ANYTHING stop me. I have a library of police reports for all the nay-sayers.
I too have heard the gunshot stories & am certain they happened. The school only reports stats that occur 'on campus' which means one of their buildings. I know this because I reported these incidents to them but regretfully, they wouldn't 'count.'
I have lived in New York City and Detroit and was not scared at either place compared to my time spent in Savannah. I would actually still recommend to anyone to live in Savannah and/or attend SCAD. It is a great place- just be sure to get a handgun & carrier's license.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:10 PM

214 posts, read 899,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Think its better to say " 4 big men" instead of "4 big black men"?
Why?

Old 02-01-2009, 06:48 AM

737 posts, read 2,458,768 times
May I ask why it's necessary to bring really old topics TTT after all this time?
Just curious, is all.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:18 PM

214 posts, read 899,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Plain Al View Post
May I ask why it's necessary to bring really old topics TTT after all this time?
Just curious, is all.
Al,

I didn't bring it up but I don't fault the one that did. Crime is not an "old" topic in this city or any other city. It needs to be addressed. Innocent people that want to make a life in some of the most beautiful parts of our city have to live in terror because of this terrible problem.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:37 PM

737 posts, read 2,458,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG3 View Post
Al,

I didn't bring it up but I don't fault the one that did. Crime is not an "old" topic in this city or any other city. It needs to be addressed. Innocent people that want to make a life in some of the most beautiful parts of our city have to live in terror because of this terrible problem.
It has been addressed, or is being addressed, in waaay more newer topics then this one.
Did you look at the last post before this one was being brought TTT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area