U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2010, 01:39 PM

107 posts, read 206,903 times

Advertisements

I am interested hearing what kinds of developments have happened in Savannah since the River Street Street Cars system began it's operation last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 02:08 PM

6,985 posts, read 16,703,309 times
Do you mean developments just on River street or everywhere in Savannah?

Old 02-07-2010, 02:41 PM

107 posts, read 206,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Do you mean developments just on River street or everywhere in Savannah?
I think both apply, but probably more so just along the Street car line, It's influences on Savannah.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:09 AM

7,174 posts, read 12,375,096 times
I think you overestimate the length or extent of the streetcar system. It barely runs a mile and is more or less a tourist train ride with little or no other purpose. Its connectivity to the transit system at large is also questionable.

Since River Street is already fully developed and there are few or no real destinations other than hotels, touristy gift shops, bars, and restaurants; the streetcar line doesn't really do or help anything -- unless you think ferrying fat, lazy tourists back and forth down the relatively short corridor is a service. In the five to ten minutes you would have to wait for the shuttle to arrive, you could have walked the entire length of River Street.

As a matter of fact, I noticed that the streetcar wasn't even running yesterday. It was just parked at the end of the street with no driver or riders in sight.

Last edited by ellie; 02-10-2010 at 08:11 AM..

Old 02-21-2010, 05:56 PM

3,509 posts, read 3,723,938 times
Ellie's on par with this. It's something nice to have and adds to the scenery, but it doesn't really affect much else in Savannah. I think what needs to happen is an extension of the trolley to other areas (though I'm not really sure how that could happen due to the infrastructure in place)

Old 02-24-2010, 03:16 PM

15 posts, read 23,138 times
Default It's made me go to River Street

I live in Savannah and have taken my kids to the river to ride the street car on several occasions. It simply shuttles people from one end of River Street to another. It's kind of fun and as a local I have no reason to go to River Street other than to eat Greek Food (CALAMARI!!!). We might take the street car to the east end of River Street after dinner, walk up the dangerous but beautiful steps at the end of Factor's Walk and then back Bull Street. We also take the River taxi across the river, get a drink outside at the Westin and then back. My family loves lazy days doing things like this so we love the addition of the streetcar. Must better than mall walking or going to Walmart :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area