Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:33 AM

4 posts, read 7,296 times

Advertisements

Many small businesses are going under. The 'Good Ole Boy' attitude is alive and well here. Crime is high downtown and in the area you are looking at. Tybee businesses are not doin well. Culture Shock is overwhelming, especially for kids. Nothing to do for kids. Taxes in Savaqnnah are extreamly high. Many have left Savannah for Richmond Hill (lower taxes and crime.....better schools...still not kid friendly) Have you looked at Charleston....better stats and lower crime). By the way, I'm from a Northern state and it was a hard adjustment. We chose Richmond Hill...Thank God!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 11:54 AM

12 posts, read 24,943 times
Wow.Her response to reasonable questions about her clearly unreasonable plans was predictable. Starting a business - any business - requires some capital. I agree that starting a business while on support programs is a recipe for disaster. And starting businesses that probably won't generate much revenue at that . . .

Old 06-10-2010, 07:57 AM

216 posts, read 413,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
... Your first order I business should be getting off government assistance, not putting your child in one of the most expensive private schools in the country...
I agree with everything you told the OP, but I respectfully disagree with this one thing. You come across, to me, like you don't believe that children of poor people should have access to the the same level and quality of education that children of wealthy (or wealthier) people have access to. Say it ain't so.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:01 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
It's not as if the children of poor people don't DESERVE it, it's just that WE taxpayers are paying for it as long as the parents are living off of us. Get off assistance and then get your child the absolute best education you can afford. Because frankly, the longer you show your child you can live off the government, that in itself is a bigger education than you realize, and it is quickly spread.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It's not as if the children of poor people don't DESERVE it, it's just that WE taxpayers are paying for it as long as the parents are living off of us. Get off assistance and then get your child the absolute best education you can afford. Because frankly, the longer you show your child you can live off the government, that in itself is a bigger education than you realize, and it is quickly spread.
First off, how are you going to answer for someone else? I asked craigm1841 about HIS/HER specific feelings as alluded to in their post.

Secondly, since you wanted to insinuate yourself into an A-B conversation, I have this to say to you. People like you have this idea that anyone on ANY type of public assistance is a deadbeat that does nothing but sit around and collect benefits, and that's wrong. I don't receive any type of government assistance, but I know people who do and they get up and go to work every day. And what about those active duty members of our military who qualify for food stamps? They get a lot of benefits from their service, and then also qualify for food stamps. Besides the fact that our military members should not be so low paid that their families qualify for food stamps, which is another conversation altogether, are they also showing their children how to live off the government or the taxpayers?

The last time I checked, anyone legally working in the USA pays taxes. Anyone buying a car pays taxes, and there are also taxes paid when registering said cars, and depending on the state yearly property taxes are paid on the cars. Depending on where one lives, taxes are paid when buying groceries and/or getting prescriptions filled. Unless it's a tax holiday, we even pay them when buying even the barest of essentials in clothing and toiletries. So, please take that "I'm a taxpayer and they're living off of me" mentality somewhere else. I'm a taxpayer, a college graduate, attended law school, AND am an honorably discharged veteran of the United States Navy. If and/or when I ever need, and qualify, for public assistance, you better doggone believe I'm going to apply for it.

I already paid into the system, and I'm currently paying into the system and if everything I try to do to pay my own way becomes no longer enough one day, then you better believe I'm going to apply to get what's coming to me. And, I dare you, or anybody else, to say something about it when/if I do. Everybody has a story, and none of us know what circumstances came about to put someone in a position to need public assistance. So, save the judgment and thank the Lord (or fate, or the universe), that you're not in a position to have first hand knowledge of that which you are condemning people about, and remember that one day it could be YOU.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:19 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRo View Post
I agree with everything you told the OP, but I respectfully disagree with this one thing. You come across, to me, like you don't believe that children of poor people should have access to the the same level and quality of education that children of wealthy (or wealthier) people have access to. Say it ain't so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRo View Post
First off, how are you going to answer for someone else? I asked craigm1841 about HIS/HER specific feelings as alluded to in their post.

Secondly, since you wanted to insinuate yourself into an A-B conversation, I have this to say to you. People like you have this idea that anyone on ANY type of public assistance is a deadbeat that does nothing but sit around and collect benefits, and that's wrong. I don't receive any type of government assistance, but I know people who do and they get up and go to work every day. And what about those active duty members of our military who qualify for food stamps? They get a lot of benefits from their service, and then also qualify for food stamps. Besides the fact that our military members should not be so low paid that their families qualify for food stamps, which is another conversation altogether, are they also showing their children how to live off the government or the taxpayers?

The last time I checked, anyone legally working in the USA pays taxes. Anyone buying a car pays taxes, and there are also taxes paid when registering said cars, and depending on the state yearly property taxes are paid on the cars. Depending on where one lives, taxes are paid when buying groceries and/or getting prescriptions filled. Unless it's a tax holiday, we even pay them when buying even the barest of essentials in clothing and toiletries. So, please take that "I'm a taxpayer and they're living off of me" mentality somewhere else. I'm a taxpayer, a college graduate, attended law school, AND am an honorably discharged veteran of the United States Navy. If and/or when I ever need, and qualify, for public assistance, you better doggone believe I'm going to apply for it.

I already paid into the system, and I'm currently paying into the system and if everything I try to do to pay my own way becomes no longer enough one day, then you better believe I'm going to apply to get what's coming to me. And, I dare you, or anybody else, to say something about it when/if I do. Everybody has a story, and none of us know what circumstances came about to put someone in a position to need public assistance. So, save the judgment and thank the Lord (or fate, or the universe), that you're not in a position to have first hand knowledge of that which you are condemning people about, and remember that one day it could be YOU.
Everyone's life is made up of decisions and events that lead up to their current situation- be it good or bad. Some people have no control over certian events, but these cases are rare (think mental handicap).

I am going to put it into a military perspective since we can both relate:

I spent 7 years in the military myself. Honorably discharged after two enlistments and a tour in Iraq to take a job in Tampa, FL- where I currently work and live. I chose to take a different path then many other young military people. Many of my peers were having three and four children at by the age of 21-22 while living on an E-3, E-4 budget. They struggled, qualified for and used WIC and foodstamps, got themselves into financial trouble for spending their paychecks on rims and plasma tvs, which eventually made its way to the command by way of creditors, keeping them from getting promoted and making more money, perpetuating the problem. I on the other hand, chose to excel at my my job, kept myself from getting in trouble (tranlation: not getting married to early or having massive amount of unprotected sex resulting in babies I can't afford). My good decision making and dedication to making a good life for myself directly led to my success today. I purchased my first home in Savannah in November 2006 at the age of 23 as a single guy on an E-5 budget. I rented a room to another squared away NCO in my unit and good friend, and his brother who was attending school at AASU, in turn making money while providing friends with a great place to live at a low cost.

I discharged from the military in Nov 2008 and took a job in Tampa. Thanks to my dedication to my career, I had compiled a stellar resume and was able to take a job similar to what I did in the Army, tripling my income, and I wear a suit to work. I am also putting myself though school to finish my BA at which point I will begin working on my MBA. I am a 27 year old single guy. I have made a lot of sacrafices, based on what I think were my good decisions. I still own and rent out my home in Savannah, and I am looking at purchasing a second property in Tampa.

When I do settle down and get married- I will have a great career, substantial savings, a deversified investment portfolio, great credit, and personal assets (houses, car, boat). I want my children one day to go to the best schools, take the best guitar lessons, dance lessons, etc, and participate in the best of other extracurricular activities of their choosing. I have had the foresight to plan for my and my future familes future (sounds weird). My children will have the best because I made sacrafices. They will too make sacrifices, as they will have to work very hard to prove they deserve the best.

That is the nature of our great nation and our capitalist society. While their are gifted children out there that may never have the opportunity do attend the best schools, we do live in America, where the "American Dream" is alive and well. You can wake up and chose to be whatever you want to be and make it happen for yourself. some hust need to work harder, especially if their parents didnt work hard. People in other countries around this world dont have that opportunity. It is important for parents and children alike to realize what is possible with a little hard work and dedication.

In the end- money shouldn't be the sole determination, or even the most important factor in whether a child gets to attend a top school or not. Money talks and it likely gets undeserving children into top schools all the time. The less fortunate children have to work much harder to make a better life for themselves, and their children one day, and so on.

Thats what I am doing for myself. My father has a 10th grade education and my mother was a housewife. I love them both very much- but they didn't instill the drive and determination to be successful I wish they had- but I made it happen for myself. If I could do it, anyone can do it- regardless of upbringing and financial status. when there is a will there is a way.

I have absolutely NO NO NO Problem whatsoever with my hard earned money going toward federal taxes that support programs for less fortunate children to attend school. I don't have a problem with my money going towards people who need temporary help, ie workmans compensation, unemployment, when it is being regulated properly. I do have a problem with people who want to ride the system and come up with proposturous business plans. The problem here is not with her daughter going to school at SCAD- she should be asking "what types of programs are availible to less fortunate families that want to send their children to private schools like SCAD?"

Sorry If I went off on a bit of a tangent- this is something I feel strongly about and wanted to state my case and provide some background on my story to sort of "back up" why I feel this way while providing some legitimacy to my stance. Our government is far from perfect, and I sure don't know all the solutions, but I am young yet, and far from wise.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:51 PM

Keep living, and you will (hopefully) come to see that life is not as black and white as you seem to think it is. Again, everyone has a story and a journey. But, just because theirs is not like yours does not make them less than you. You have a right to be proud of your accomplishments, but remember to temper your pride with humbleness. Lots of accomplished, well off people have had their worlds shaken apart around them during this depression, and dropped from middle class, and upper middle class, down to working class (or lower), some in a matter of months. These same people are now receiving or are breaking down and applying for public assistance. They are having the most rude of awakenings as to how some forms of public assistance in this country are set up to make it hard for people to get off. There is no guarantee these people will ever get back to where they used to be, because it takes more than hard work, and a positive attitude, to make it.

There are many people on public assistance who thought it was a temporary thing. But, life has a way of throwing curve balls at us, and our plans aren't always able to be realized. All it takes is one child born with special needs, or a devastating health diagnosis to make what was supposed to be temporary help into a permanent fixture. There are many devastating things that can happen that are no fault of the person. And, that's what it looks like you (and some others) don't seem to get. You stand on the outside looking in and judging when you have no idea what happened to cause people to be where they are.

The freeloading deadbeats really are in the minority. They look like the majority because of all the focus and attention that is placed on them by the various media. Ex 1: When was the last time you heard/read/saw a news story about people caught trying to cheat the system OR making no attempt to get off of it? Ex 2: When was the last time you heard/read/saw a news story about people using public assistance as the temporary solution it was created to be, and then moving on to full self-sufficiency, once again? If you haven't seen either lately, think back and ask yourself which TYPE of story have you seen/heard/read the most? I don't know about you, but I see/hear/read much, much more of Ex 1, than Ex 2. If I didn't have any direct or indirect experience with the system, and all I saw was stories of Ex 1, I would (erroneously) think that everyone on the system was like Ex 1. And, that's just not true.

As far as the OP goes, how do you know that she has not looked at "what types of programs are available to low income families that want to send their children to expensive schools like SCAD?" You don't and can't know that. Your response comes across paternalistic, as if she is required to explain to you every detail of just how she plans to help her child afford a top notch, expensive education, just for your satisfaction of knowing. Not cool.

I am hard on do-nothings. But, because I've been poor and middle class, I have a more realistic perspective than a lot of people who only have experience on their one side of the fence. Because of my experience, I can usually tell a true do-nothing from someone who is just overwhelmed and doesn't know how to begin get out of their situation. But, most people don't care enough to learn the difference. After all, it's easier to lump all of them into the same category and treat them all the same.

I personally know it's hard, but try not to judge, because none of us know these people's stories, or when it'll be our time to let go of our pride and ask for help. Humbleness is the difference between being able to cope or having a mental breakdown if it were to happen to us.

Thanks for your reply and clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Everyone's life is made up of decisions and events that lead up to their current situation- be it good or bad. Some people have no control over certian events, but these cases are rare (think mental handicap).

I am going to put it into a military perspective since we can both relate:

I spent 7 years in the military myself. Honorably discharged after two enlistments and a tour in Iraq to take a job in Tampa, FL- where I currently work and live. I chose to take a different path then many other young military people. Many of my peers were having three and four children at by the age of 21-22 while living on an E-3, E-4 budget. They struggled, qualified for and used WIC and foodstamps, got themselves into financial trouble for spending their paychecks on rims and plasma tvs, which eventually made its way to the command by way of creditors, keeping them from getting promoted and making more money, perpetuating the problem. I on the other hand, chose to excel at my my job, kept myself from getting in trouble (tranlation: not getting married to early or having massive amount of unprotected sex resulting in babies I can't afford). My good decision making and dedication to making a good life for myself directly led to my success today. I purchased my first home in Savannah in November 2006 at the age of 23 as a single guy on an E-5 budget. I rented a room to another squared away NCO in my unit and good friend, and his brother who was attending school at AASU, in turn making money while providing friends with a great place to live at a low cost.

I discharged from the military in Nov 2008 and took a job in Tampa. Thanks to my dedication to my career, I had compiled a stellar resume and was able to take a job similar to what I did in the Army, tripling my income, and I wear a suit to work. I am also putting myself though school to finish my BA at which point I will begin working on my MBA. I am a 27 year old single guy. I have made a lot of sacrafices, based on what I think were my good decisions. I still own and rent out my home in Savannah, and I am looking at purchasing a second property in Tampa.

When I do settle down and get married- I will have a great career, substantial savings, a deversified investment portfolio, great credit, and personal assets (houses, car, boat). I want my children one day to go to the best schools, take the best guitar lessons, dance lessons, etc, and participate in the best of other extracurricular activities of their choosing. I have had the foresight to plan for my and my future familes future (sounds weird). My children will have the best because I made sacrafices. They will too make sacrifices, as they will have to work very hard to prove they deserve the best.

That is the nature of our great nation and our capitalist society. While their are gifted children out there that may never have the opportunity do attend the best schools, we do live in America, where the "American Dream" is alive and well. You can wake up and chose to be whatever you want to be and make it happen for yourself. some hust need to work harder, especially if their parents didnt work hard. People in other countries around this world dont have that opportunity. It is important for parents and children alike to realize what is possible with a little hard work and dedication.

In the end- money shouldn't be the sole determination, or even the most important factor in whether a child gets to attend a top school or not. Money talks and it likely gets undeserving children into top schools all the time. The less fortunate children have to work much harder to make a better life for themselves, and their children one day, and so on.

Thats what I am doing for myself. My father has a 10th grade education and my mother was a housewife. I love them both very much- but they didn't instill the drive and determination to be successful I wish they had- but I made it happen for myself. If I could do it, anyone can do it- regardless of upbringing and financial status. when there is a will there is a way.

I have absolutely NO NO NO Problem whatsoever with my hard earned money going toward federal taxes that support programs for less fortunate children to attend school. I don't have a problem with my money going towards people who need temporary help, ie workmans compensation, unemployment, when it is being regulated properly. I do have a problem with people who want to ride the system and come up with proposturous business plans. The problem here is not with her daughter going to school at SCAD- she should be asking "what types of programs are availible to less fortunate families that want to send their children to private schools like SCAD?"

Sorry If I went off on a bit of a tangent- this is something I feel strongly about and wanted to state my case and provide some background on my story to sort of "back up" why I feel this way while providing some legitimacy to my stance. Our government is far from perfect, and I sure don't know all the solutions, but I am young yet, and far from wise.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:06 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
HEY! I think I saw this lady on a episode of "JERRY SPRINGER" ?! "You don't know me, you don't know nuthin' 'bout me" sounds familiar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lusciouskija View Post
who the hell do you think you are telling me how many businesses' I can open I can open 20 businesses' if I wanted it to, you don't know what kind of finances I have that is where you got it twisted. I can do anything in this world that I chose to if I put my mind to it. You don't know the curcumstances on why I have section 8 it is because me and my family went homeless due to domestic violence and just because were are receiving their services temporarly does not mean that I will not pursue my dreams and plans. You have people out here who get help from them for different reasons and people who talk down on the people that have it like this situation can't happen to you. I know people who have been on this program for 20 years because they enjoy being lazy and abusing the system that is not my case that is why I in my post it states what me and my family plans are so that we can give this program back saying thanks to help another family. So we can buy our own home. So you see I don't plan to stay on this program and there are plenty 4-5 bedroom section 8 houses and it is false what you said about living in a high crime area just because I have section 8, I am in a middle class no crime area now with five bedrooms 2/1/2 bath two-car garage so I am not worried about what your saying on that note. I can find affordable housing in a decent neighborhood trust me. Back to the business aspect of life I know a lot about business and I also know that everybody that is in business did not take out a loan and I definitely don't plan to
I will use my own money I know that business is risky so is everything else in life that we do. Big deal thanks for your opinion that's the thing about opinion it's just like a butthole everybody has one. As for the lesbian/gay community it doen't really matter if they are friendly or not me and my wife have been happily married for five years and will continue to be regardless of what the state of Savannah and anybody else thinks nobody can judge us but God! Were coming to Savannah and I will be opening a restaurant and clothing store and my wife will be opening her daycare and my daughter will go to Scad no matter what it cost we got her you don't know what my family qualify for what's the matter your family didn't qualify so you think you can post on here what me and my family can or can not get for schooling. You need to get a life and stop trying to run ours and who told you I was opening a bar ? You must be an alcoholic because I will not have a bar in my restaurant just homemade lemonade,tea, and soda so check your self before you wreck yourself you don't even know me to be trying to talk out the side of your neck about me or what me and my family can or can't do get a life and stay out of ours I hate people like you that always try to put a person down who is trying to better their life and situation.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:31 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
There is no such thing as an A-B conversation on an open public forum.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:45 AM

9 posts, read 28,520 times
I have to say....I am a lesbian and I am TOTALLY ashamed of Lusciouskija. Believe me, we are not all idiots!!!!! It is nice to dream, but don't plaster it on the internet. If you're on assistant because of domestic violence you are either a wife beater or have been on it for 5 years, which is it??????? If you are a wife beater than you have NOT been happily married for 5 years, and if you have been on it for more than 5 years then you are a loser!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area