Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:59 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times

Advertisements

There is no scientific answer and likely never will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 01:34 AM

545 posts, read 1,555,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
There is a quote or a theory out there that says "Matter cannot be created or destroyed." (I think that is how it goes) If this is true then how was (I'll try and make as much sense as possible but its a complicated question) matter first created? Before there was anything? Everything has to begin from something am I correct? I mean its not like one day in space something just went poof and matter was created. How was the first "substance" I guess you can say, created? How did that happen if there was nothing for it to originate from? I hope I'm making sense, I'm just curious as to whether or not this has actually be thoroughly explained at some point in history.
E=mc^2

Matter can be "destroyed" and turned into energy.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:35 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
We have bantered back and forth with this question many times before.....I lean towards Brane Theory and a Brane collision iniatiating the Big Bang. It follows that we MAY be able to go further back in time through those Branes and see what came before "our" Big Bang. However, eventually we will probably still be left with the initial question of what came into being first(be it Brane...etc) and we will probably not be able to ever answer that "first" question as we go back in time infinitely. .

M-theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Master of the Universe: Stephen Hawking M Theory : Video : Science Channel .

You're quite right. We have indeed discussed this subject and shared views many times. Even though it's completely unknown at the present time as to exactly what triggered the Big Bang in the first place, the concept of colliding branes is certainly an interesting possibility. There are numerous other scenarios regarding the beginning of the universe. Whatever the cause and effect may have been, space and time of the universe most likely began at the moment the Big Bang, which is only relevant within the confines of our own universe. Beyond that, assuming there is anything beyond that, it's reasonable to think some form of time and space may have preexisted the universe, and still does, even if it's only a static field of infinite probabilities. Given enough time in such a static field within an infinite length of time, anything is likely to crop up in completely unexpected ways, from the blink of something that pops in and out of existence instantaneously to the formation of an entire universe like the one we live in.

With regard to colliding branes, I would guess it would depend on the force of such a collision as well as the length of time before such rippling branes separate again as to what would be generated from a collision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology