U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-28-2010, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
4,625 posts, read 7,188,861 times
Reputation: 2355

Advertisements

I was wondering, is there any reason why most people use the Door Open or Door Hold button on elevators to hold the door open, instead choosing to block the door with their arms?

Those buttons exist for a reason! Also, if the door is blocked for too long, some elevators could go into nudge mode, where the door slowly closes regardless if it is being blocked or not, thus creating a potential safety hazard.

Personally, I think the Door Hold button is a good idea, as it keeps the door held for about 1 minute or until the Door Close button is pressed. Many newer elevators have this, especially those made by KONE.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2010, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
Reputation: 17410
The reason is because it is a lot faster to stick your arm out and force the door to re-open than it is to find a button amongst many which look about the same and aim and depress the button. And that is if you don't have to shove someone out of the way to access the button panel. And it takes an extra 0.5 seconds to figure out if <> or >< is OPEN or CLOSE.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2010, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
4,625 posts, read 7,188,861 times
Reputation: 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The reason is because it is a lot faster to stick your arm out and force the door to re-open than it is to find a button amongst many which look about the same and aim and depress the button. And that is if you don't have to shove someone out of the way to access the button panel. And it takes an extra 0.5 seconds to figure out if <> or >< is OPEN or CLOSE.
Well, if there was no point to those buttons then they wouldn't exist. Also, it is pretty obvious that <|> is Door Open and >|< is Door Close. These symbols are ADA compliant. Door Hold (DH) is a newer feature that is supposed to make it easier and more convenient to hold the doors open.

The fact is, most people don't know that many elevators will go into nudge mode if the doors are blocked for too long, which could lead to getting your arm crushed.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2010, 01:28 PM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,224,691 times
Reputation: 8261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
Well, if there was no point to those buttons then they wouldn't exist. Also, it is pretty obvious that <|> is Door Open and >|< is Door Close. These symbols are ADA compliant. Door Hold (DH) is a newer feature that is supposed to make it easier and more convenient to hold the doors open.

The fact is, most people don't know that many elevators will go into nudge mode if the doors are blocked for too long, which could lead to getting your arm crushed.
Well yes they are ADA compliant, which means that they are at waist level and hard to see/find.

NO, it will not go into 'nudge' mode and crush your arm.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2010, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
20,344 posts, read 20,415,914 times
Reputation: 31581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
I was wondering, is there any reason why most people use the Door Open or Door Hold button on elevators to hold the door open, instead choosing to block the door with their arms?

Those buttons exist for a reason! Also, if the door is blocked for too long, some elevators could go into nudge mode, where the door slowly closes regardless if it is being blocked or not, thus creating a potential safety hazard.

Personally, I think the Door Hold button is a good idea, as it keeps the door held for about 1 minute or until the Door Close button is pressed. Many newer elevators have this, especially those made by KONE.
Door open and door close buttons are stupid. Next thing you'll probably say is that pushing the hall call buttons rapidly while they are already lit won't make the elevator come to my floor faster. I know this to be true because when I do this, soon after the elevator shows up. This is something that elevator techs don't want you to know about because they then have to grease and change the ropes more frequently.

The only thing nudging will do is disable the reversing mechanism while initiating a model specific "chime". This annoying chime can be disabled by jabbing a pen knife into the control panel on the right hand side about 3 1/4" above the bottom. If you have to hold the door a long time, stick your pen knife under the right side door until your friend shows up.

Another thing I like to do when riding an elevator is to say "BONG" out loud every time the elevator bongs while passing by a floor. Soon everyone is doing it and having a good time. Elevator techs hate it when you do that too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2010, 03:23 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,256 posts, read 10,326,760 times
Reputation: 5407
Charles if it takes you .5 seconds to figure it out then you are a genius.
It takes me longer to find the effing buttons!
On a more serious note, I have tried those buttons on bunch of different elevators and I honestly could not tell if pressing those buttons made a difference or not. So to me, those buttons are useless.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2010, 03:32 PM
 
Location: FLG/PHX/MKE
7,289 posts, read 12,865,601 times
Reputation: 11524
Yeah... because by the time most people bend down to waist level, to examine the bottom row of control button symbols, the door already closed. Besides, "holding" a door open is intuitive.

If an elevator manufacturer was concerned about the number of people who use the door block method, then they could certainly figure out how to locate a second or third pair of door open/close buttons at a reasonable height, next to the doors. Maybe people would use them if they could see the buttons without having to bend over.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2010, 12:31 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Reputation: 35864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
Well, if there was no point to those buttons then they wouldn't exist.
What planet are you from? Would you say the same thing about Braille keys on the ATM keypad in the drive-through banking lane?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2010, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,773 posts, read 3,676,401 times
Reputation: 4236
jtur: I'm not blind, but I've personally walked up to an ATM in a drive-through lane and I assume a blind person can do the same thing. And blind people can be passengers in cars driven by others; they can lean out the rear window, or get out of the car and walk around.

Now back on topic:

As already answered, the door grab is quicker than the buttons, especially if you're in an unfamiliar elevator. If I happen to be standing right next to the control panel I'll hit the <> button, otherwise not. But I never grab the door... there's a much better and safer way. All modern elevators have safety sensors consisting of infrared beams. At least two, I think; one about 6" off the floor to catch a stuck-out foot and the other about 4' off the floor. So just vertically sweep your hand one time quickly between the closing door and the wall, a motion like tossing a ball underhand. The door will stop closing and re-open; no one has to touch anything.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2010, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
Reputation: 17410
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
All modern elevators

What percent of elevators in use are modern?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top