U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-22-2010, 12:01 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

I mean, a coward is more likely to shrink from danger, be afraid to step on people's toes, be extra-cautious; does this help compensate for their lack of bravery and dominance? Or will they generally be shunned by the rest of the group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2010, 12:25 AM
 
Location: Terra firma
1,374 posts, read 1,311,757 times
Reputation: 1094
This is something that I've actually pondered myself. As a child I had friends that would do crazy things like jump their bikes off of a house, but they never could get me to do the same things. Of course they called me a coward or a wuss, but I just felt that it was common sense not to put yourself in mortal danger on a daily basis. The risk is too high and other than bragging rights the reward is nil. Why gamble with your life like that?

It turned out that I was right. Most of my friends made numerous trips to the ER with cuts and broken bones, and one friend of mine actually got killed showing off on his new motorcycle.

Me, I'm alive and well and thriving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 12:29 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
This is something that I've actually pondered myself. As a child I had friends that would do crazy things like jump their bikes off of a house, but they never could get me to do the same things. Of course they called me a coward or a wuss, but I just felt that it was common sense not to put yourself in mortal danger on a daily basis. The risk is too high and other than bragging rights the reward is nil. Why gamble with your life like that?

It turned out that I was right. Most of my friends made numerous trips to the ER with cuts and broken bones, and one friend of mine actually got killed showing off on his new motorcycle.

Me, I'm alive and well and thriving.
I'm a bit like that, too sensible to be that reckless and too conscious of the dangers. Although I did do stupid things when I was younger I think I've mostly outgrown that. Also with males there tends to be a peer pressure to prove their courage and bravery, so I think that's part of it. We are much braver in a group and would do things we'd never do individually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 02:50 AM
 
656 posts, read 2,371,894 times
Reputation: 1185
Is cowardice an evolutionary survival strategy?
Interesting subject

When I was younger I grew up with a group of friends that really loved to fight.
Well perhaps love is not the word but lets just say they didn't mind getting it on when the time called for it
But myself out of the whole group I was the only one that was a little apprehensive. Yes I got into fights
but unlike my friends each time the other guy took the first swing so I really had no choice.

But I will admit, there where times I did every thing to avoid some scuffles when perhaps I should of helped my friends out

So was I smart or cowardice??? Well probably I was a bit of both
I certainly avoided any serious injuries, where some of my friends spent
some time in hospital. So I guess cowardice is a survival strategy

I mean those who die in wars don't get to procreate. But then again wimps
are unattractive to the opposite sex so they probably don't get to procreate either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 02:52 AM
 
20,979 posts, read 15,614,915 times
Reputation: 10270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I mean, a coward is more likely to shrink from danger, be afraid to step on people's toes, be extra-cautious; does this help compensate for their lack of bravery and dominance? Or will they generally be shunned by the rest of the group?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
16,845 posts, read 51,301,408 times
Reputation: 27662
This could be debated up the yin/yang (pun intended fro those who get it). The concept is not an either/or, but a continuum. Generally, in a continuum like this some variation of a bell curve can be found to fit. The super-timid and the super-brave live and die the extremes to test whether there have been shifts in the parameters, and the bulk of the group falls in the middle. If the super-brave survive, and the super-timid don't, the middle shifts in that direction a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2010, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Reputation: 35864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm a bit like that, too sensible to be that reckless and too conscious of the dangers. Although I did do stupid things when I was younger I think I've mostly outgrown that. Also with males there tends to be a peer pressure to prove their courage and bravery, so I think that's part of it. We are much braver in a group and would do things we'd never do individually.
That's a good point. Cowardice is the maturity of those who have outgrown valor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top