U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:05 AM

9,932 posts, read 11,849,770 times

Advertisements

"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." - Edgar Allen Poe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 01:38 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
None of this is new. About 2300 years ago, Zhuangzi woke up and wrote

"Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man."

But we've digressed. The OP is about an actual physical universe, populated by all of us, in which the concept of dimensions is an agreed-upon convention of man in order to organize and talk about his perception of the universe.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:52 PM

9,932 posts, read 11,849,770 times
Who said it was new?

I happen to like Poe's take on the idea.

It's more poetic.

http://blog.gaiam.com/quotes/topics/hologram

Old 10-27-2010, 03:01 PM

739 posts, read 815,716 times
I dreamt I was awake...but when I woke up, I was asleep!

Old 10-27-2010, 03:07 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,005,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
A man well ahead of his time !

Old 10-27-2010, 08:50 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,043,900 times
I only know how this theory applies to spacetime around Black Holes......I'm skeptical yet. Here are some links for further information>>>>>
Holographic principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Holographic Universe

Old 10-28-2010, 01:47 AM

I am afraid this is only some normal, poor soul, who was filmed for 5 seconds without their permission, and 80 years later is being exposed to an unimaginable world. In reality...WE are the "time travelers"!

Old 10-28-2010, 01:33 PM

Sorry about that...my previous post was meant for the "cell phones in 1928" thread.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:42 PM

Here is a video that explains the idea of the "flat universe".

How do we know the universe is flat? [VIDEO]

Old 04-08-2011, 12:47 AM

I was thinking about this again this morning.

The concept of a "dimension" might be based on the conditions that prevail for the observer, and then culturally embedded in the conventional organization because it is useful to his, but not every, geometric environment.

Humans evolved on the surface of a planet sufficiently large to have a flat horizon. Graviational lines operate from the center of the planet, hence perpendicular to the flat horizon. So, based on that reality of the place we live, we quite naturally reckoned our universe as having a right and a left, an up and a down, a near and a far. Entrenched long before we had any concept of a planet, gravity, or a universe. So we were forced to apply flat earth geometry to a complex cosmos that it doesn't necessarily apply to. For example, when we discovered the earth was round, we created meridians and parallels, so we could apply our geometry to it. But it's imperfect. Our geometry doesn't work on a sphere. But we forged ahead anyway, and just lived with the defective system of coordinates, because we were irretrievably committed to that geometry.

But what if an intelligent life-form evolved in a place that not have a planet's flat horizon and the perpendicular lines of gravity from that planet to dominate the perception of the "universe"? For example, life-clouds drifting in space, associated with a tiny center of gravity that appeared as a sphere, which doesn't even rotate, with no flat horizon, and right angles being no more relevant than any other. Why would they think of their space in terms of right angles and 3 dimensions.

Or, more concretely, consider a planet completely covered by a liquid ocean, with a single land form, which is a steep-sided conical mountain. They could look out at their ocean with its flat horizon, but see it only from the surface of a cone. They have sticky feet and can fly, so are not influenced much by the direction of gravitational pull. Right 90-degree angles would not occur very significantly in their world, so they could very likely form cultural conventions that based geometry on a different set of coordinates.

For that reason, I speculate that the right-angle geometry that humans regard as a universal constant, is nothing but a convention that has been instilled in our evolution, because it works for us in the world in which our geometry was born and matures. We have a planet with a horizon and gravity, which work at right angles to each other, but divorced from that narrow perception of a solid planet, there is nothing in the universe forcing the perception of 3-dimensional geometry.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-08-2011 at 01:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or