U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 12:01 AM

713 posts, read 3,023,972 times

Advertisements

Fermilab is Building a 'Holometer' to Determine Once and For All Whether Reality Is Just an Illusion | Popular Science

Quote:
Researchers at Fermilab are building a “holometer” so they can disprove everything you thought you knew about the universe. More specifically, they are trying to either prove or disprove the somewhat mind-bending notion that the third dimension doesn’t exist at all, and that the 3-D universe we think we live in is nothing more than a hologram. To do so, they are building the most precise clock ever created.
Anyone with a degree in theoretical math care to lend me a hand on this? From what I could make out, the theory is that we might actually be living in a hologram and there really is no 3rd dimension since its just an illusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 12:19 PM

16,851 posts, read 51,316,975 times
Simple concept for all you who used to read Superman comic books. The scientists are trying to find out whether or not we have been consigned to the phantom zone.

Actually, the comments below the article were kinda funny this time.

There does appear to be granularity, which I find to be way kewl. While I doubt they will find we live two dimensionally, it probably is a good idea to check it out.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:08 PM

9,932 posts, read 11,849,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
Fermilab is Building a 'Holometer' to Determine Once and For All Whether Reality Is Just an Illusion | Popular Science

Anyone with a degree in theoretical math care to lend me a hand on this? From what I could make out, the theory is that we might actually be living in a hologram and there really is no 3rd dimension since its just an illusion.

No, degree in theoretical math here. But, I am currently reading a book called, The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot. It is very interesting!

I can't wait to hear more on this topic.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:11 PM

9,932 posts, read 11,849,770 times
I always loved this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLx0BCjtxx8

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:35 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
I've always wondered why we are so quick to assume there are three. Our dimensiona are aligned so that you go into another dimension by making a right-angle turn, and this works in our minds because we understand intuitively that square boxes pack neatly into any available space.

But what if there were another solid that would also pack into a space, whose corners had a different number of degrees than right angles? Would a rationalizing civilization think according to a geometry that would have more than just three dimensions, because you could go at different angles to follow the edges of or more than just three? Are we limited to three dimensions for no other reason than because there is no such geometric shape that meets that requirement?

In reductio, if we think in only flat space, we could still have three dimensions, because the space could be packed with equilateral triangles, which, from a straight line, can set off in two different directions, not just one. So the three dimensions on our plane geometry would depart from the base line at 60 and 120 degree angles, creating the perception of a second and a third dimension. quite different from each other. An x, a y and a z axis, all on the plane. Then, linearity above and beneath the plane would comprise fourth and fifth dimensions, because 3 had already been used up in the plane.

So, maybe all dimensions are based only on the perception of the observers, while the universe itself has no dimensions. Observers of the universe just make up dimensions as categories of perceptions that they can usefully cluster according to similarities. Maybe bees would be puzzled by our 3-dimension orthodoxy. The way we put infra-red, xray, and radio into different compartments, according to how we use them and how they impact our being, even though they are all just a part of a single light continuum.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-24-2010 at 12:58 AM..

Old 10-26-2010, 11:18 AM

8,957 posts, read 17,005,188 times
Since all that humans know & feel is a product of the brain it's quite possible that there is no reality other than what the brain makes up during it's short lifespan.

One of these days humans will find out something the wish they didn't know.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:03 AM

739 posts, read 815,716 times
We are sitting, watching a movie of us watching a movie, and we are in the movie. It is in 3-D!

Old 10-27-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Since all that humans know & feel is a product of the brain it's quite possible that there is no reality other than what the brain makes up during it's short lifespan.

:
Then one of us does not exist. You does not, or I does not. Which one? (And while you're at it, which verb?)

Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 AM

16,851 posts, read 51,316,975 times
Perhaps there is only one dimension. I am the walrus...

Old 10-27-2010, 10:54 AM

I quite often dream of people who are as absolutely certain as you are, that they exist. They interact with me exactly as if they had minds of their own, and require me to make countermoves in response to what they do of their own free will. Yet, none of them exist, even though they have every appearance to be dimensionally outside the point at which I doze. So I logically conclude that none of you exist, and you can offer me no more evidence of your existence than the people I dreamt about last night.

I dream at two alternating levels. One while I think I am asleep, and one while I think I am awake. The ones I have when awake are so complex, that I have had to construct a system of logic to explain the events, and I've even invented logicians to elucidate it, and it is so compelling, that even my dreams now resist events that are not in compliance. When things occur that are inconsistent with my logical boundaries, I say " Ack---I must have dozed off", and ignore them as I get on with my musings.

I dream that I periodically go to a dark room and let my mind run outside my logical constraints, which can be tiresome.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-27-2010 at 11:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or