Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 02:58 PM

737 posts, read 1,036,805 times

Advertisements

The face resembles Engineer Scott, who could be calling to be beamed up. .....which leads to another interesting question....who does Scotty call when he says "beam me up...."?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 10:44 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
While Sir Bedeveer gave plausible answers, I now think I need to change mine. Sometimes the obvious escapes me on the first round, then my unconscious mind kicks in overnight or a few days later. I now think it more likely this was an early handheld walkie talkie. That type of thing can be incredibly useful in directing an event. A wire recorder would not need to be held to the ear, but a walkie talkie with a carbon earpiece would.
Good suggestion. From what I can find out though, the walkie-talkie was a very bulky communication device invented in 1940. The handie-talkie also came out in 1940. It too looks way too large for the 'object' in question. Motorola manufactured both of these communicators. However, a radio engineer named Alfred Gross worked on this technology between 1934 to 1941. That's still a few years after the 1928 Chaplin premier.
Walkie-talkie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SCR-536 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've looked at the video again (much shorter version shown below). It could simply be that there isn't anything in the person's hand and that the hand was raised perhaps to avoid sunglare. The sequence here is in reverse.

The first one is a bit difficult because it shows it fading into a brief shot of an elephant. You can see a dark shadow on the person's face. While it looks like it could be an object, it might just be the shadow from his hand. And check out the length of that nose. The shoes seem to be pretty long as well. Is this the original Penguin?

In this shot, which is just before passing the zebra, we can see the direction of the shadow, which is the same direction as the previous above. The image is doubled.

Overall, the problem is that we really can't make out any specific details, partly because the original was in film frames. I think making it digital can blur some things in motion, in this case the person walking. At best we can only speculate, but that can be fun. It might be that the person is indeed holding something. In addition, the person does seem to be saying something in the view more directly facing the camera. If so, I have my doubts it's any kind of communication device. It's odd though because the fingers appear to be bent as if holding something, but I'm inclined to think what's actually seen is probably an illusion. That's just my own guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I3O_qa82RA

Old 10-27-2010, 11:15 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
The original Penguin is a good guess! Maybe they just had an ear infection and were holding it because it hurt and grumbling about it?

Old 10-28-2010, 05:25 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Chaplin Time Traveler: Charlie Chaplin Film Clip Sparks Time Travel Controversy - ktla.com

Old 10-28-2010, 10:17 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Actually, there is another explanation involving the multiverse, if you go in for such things. We are in the present. In standard theory, we can't affect things in the past or in the future. If timelines diverge in the future and take us into alternate multiverses, based on our actions, then one possibility is that a preponderance of something in the present, like cellphones, will ALSO create links to the more probable alternate pasts that would explain how we got here.

If so, we probably have the honor of seeing the first movie theatre customer who everyone in the audience told "TURN THAT DAM THING OFF!"

Old 10-28-2010, 01:31 PM

737 posts, read 1,036,805 times
I am afraid this is only some, poor soul, who was filmed for 5 seconds without their permission, and 80 years later is being exposed to an unimaginable world. In reality...WE are the "time travelers"!

Old 10-28-2010, 03:57 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Scratching ear

Old 10-28-2010, 04:17 PM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Scratching ear
Possibly or holding her hand next to her head while mumbling something. Perhaps she flew over cuckoo's nest long time ago.
Especially older ladies when in agony or pain do tend to position themselves if they are also in shock mumbling or talking out loud such as a crazy person would do. If you look at her hand carefully (especially when she is moving her middle finger which kinda looks like she is giving a sneaky middle finger) you can tell the hand is quite likely to be empty even though it gives the illusion that she is holding something.

Bottom line: I think she was talking to herself. Probably mumbling "F'ing Charlie, this little sh.tty extra work is the best you can hook me up with after sleeping with you?".

Old 10-29-2010, 11:01 AM

948 posts, read 2,792,123 times
I can't see a cell phone in the clip. I can't see evidence someone traveled thru time either. I also cant see what/who is around or behind the frame that the person may be engaging - thing is it's the things we can't see or hear and don't know that raise the questions, and the fact that the most likely answer in todays world doesn't fit with yesterdays world IMO has got some people making assumptions. Between the things we can't see outside of the frame, the things we can't hear, and the things that we don't know about the talking person creates an infinite # of explanations.

Thinking someone would be talking for a few seconds with their hand to the side of their face in the 1920's is because of time travel or a hidden technology is silly when considering just a few simple things outside the films frame that could explain it.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:05 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
"Thinking someone would be talking for a few seconds with their hand to the side of their face in the 1920's is because of time travel or a hidden technology is silly when considering just a few simple things outside the films frame that could explain it."

Taking this forward, I hate to think what the people of the future will think when they see a clip from today of a man reaching in his pants and adjusting his "set."

"OMG, they had blurgleflurgles back then! He must be a time traveler!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology