U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 06:31 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,354,775 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBS5Elx635w
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 10:00 PM

4,990 posts, read 7,772,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I loved this one, ants take over the world.....

BBC - Earth News - Ant mega-colony takes over world
LOL! Reminds me of an old sci-fi movie.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:02 PM

16,874 posts, read 51,398,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
...or my yard.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:49 PM

102 posts, read 145,001 times
While I think that these stories are somewhat overblown, I do harbor some concern over mankind's insistence in automating everything. Some things are best left to humans.

Surgery, in some cases, is now performed by "robots" as it were, and I find this trend disturbing. While humans are not perfect, I would rather not chance my "innards" to the whims of a robot, human-controlled or not.

Bill Joy, an IT industry luminary and inventer of much great technology had this concern over ten years ago, but for slightly different reasons. You can read his missive for what it's worth: Wired 8.04: Why the future doesn't need us.

Methinks we will get to the point where we can go no further realistically without damaging humanity and what it means to be human. Human beings are meant to be human beings, failures, frailty, and all that comes with being human. Will we come to the point where the law requires us to have implants of some sort? To interface with sentient robots against our will? Artifical intelligence checkpoints? Minority Report-style future? We are headed in something of that general direction, and I am not, in any way, a doomsday kind of thinker.

Do we think for a minute that the cloning of a human being has not occured somewhere on this earth, deep in the bowels of some insidious research facility? Or a human has not been implanted with some technology that approximates the Borg? I'm willing to bet that there are all manner of weird goings on at discreet science labs. One only has to look at the military and its push to add robotic exoskeletons for soldiers to wear and use so they become super soldiers. See this article: http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010...mp-haul-steel/

How long before this or similar technology goes IN people and not outside of them?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:51 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,868,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post

The ants movie, was a great flick.... it was called THEM

Old 11-02-2010, 02:39 PM

7,376 posts, read 12,539,152 times
johnny 5

Old 11-03-2010, 11:24 AM

10,715 posts, read 22,354,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
johnny 5
haha that was an awsome movie back in the 80's

Old 11-04-2010, 02:51 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,638,476 times
Speculative question. If Bots kill all human beings, what will visiting aliens find on earth when they come here later to explore the planet?

Will they think the Bots are/were life forms, that evolved spontaneously? Will human remains be regarded as just mammal remains, like all others, intellectually inferior to the Bots?

Will the Bots form a religion, to explain things that are beyond their capacity to comprehend, and justify their egocentric sense that they are God-made??

Old 12-26-2012, 06:04 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,245,289 times
Default THREE LAWS of ROBOTICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I wasn't just referring to weapons. Stand in the wrong place within the reach of a welding robot at a manufacturing facility and I imagine the result could be deadly.

Probably better threads to bring this up, but lets say a future world government gave over logistics to a smart computer application (i.e. strong AI) and that AI was moving food around the globe.

Its possible that the autonomous AI could decide that it is more efficient to cut back shipments to, let's say, Russia. Only full grain ships operate. Oops! Millions starve.

So a Strong AI needs to have an understanding of ethics. Otherwise, computer intelligence without a "soul" couldn't be implemented in many areas. And this is a BIG problem. Maybe a "fuzzy logic" subroutine here?

In my opinion, since one-half of the stock trades today are conducted through algorithms (weak AI), they are being undertaken with no consideration to the damage they do. Hedge funds use puts executed by their computer applications to drive stock prices down.

I don't think collateral damage means that much to machine intelligence.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:14 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,245,289 times
Default Night of the Lepus

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
The ants movie, was a great flick.... it was called THEM

The "monsters" were rabbits with cool whip on their mouths thrown into the camera lens.

But it had an all star cast, Leigh, Calhoun, Fix, everybody. Even DeForest Kelly too I think.

I raised rabbits and was greatly offended for bunnies everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology