U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 04:20 PM

964 posts, read 2,287,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I remember a few years back, I planned a sunset picnic in SoCal to watch a Tarus launch out of Vandenburg. I wasn't expecting much, because that's a pretty small rocket, but, watching the hills to the north on that clear evening, sure enough; there it was, the plume glowing bright orange in the sun (even though we were in shadow). After a few seconds, the sustainer cut off and it disappeared, then the second stage started up and sprayed a "giant" conical rainbow plume across the sky. That was neat. The plume was pretty persistent, though the upper level winds blew it into strange glowing shapes after a few minutes.

Then the next day the headline "UFO OVER LA DISTURBS RESIDENTS" was in all the papers. Pretty funny. Real rockets are UFO's; aircraft are foreign missiles, what's next?

I don't get it. That was a slam dunk, publicly disclosed launch (I assume).

I didn't check but have any Delta IV heavies launched out of VAFB? Those might be the biggest thing ever launched from there; I think it would be close to 2 million pounds of thrust using three Rocketdyne RS-68 engines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB5_j1RYMYg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 04:45 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,890,189 times
Have you ever seen a missle fired in person?

You'd realize it wasn't a missle if you had...

Try not to be paranoid and misinformed by the "media" would be my suggestion.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:53 PM

964 posts, read 2,287,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
Have you ever seen a missle fired in person?

Who is "you"?

Old 11-19-2010, 12:33 AM

3,080 posts, read 9,694,073 times
Not very many DIVH's have gone up in general, and I think all from the Cape. Hm... I think I ran out into my apartment complex's parking lot one night to watch an Atlas V (2SRM config) boosting out of VAFB. My neighbors were looking at me like I was crazy, staring off to the north. Then the rocket cleared the hills and they asked me if we were under attack.

Actually, there wouldn't be much to see from a Delta IV out of VAFB since it's LOX/LH2. No solids so no plume. It would probably be pretty hard to spot. That's pretty far from Ventura and LA. It'd be just a speck and easily mistaken for an aircraft unless you knew exactly what to look for or had binocs or a telescope. Once the solids cut off, I lost the Atlas. Not very impressive.

The papers noted that the Tarus plume was from a rocket launch, but the headlines were meant to be sensational and attention grabbing.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 14 days ago)

13,389 posts, read 11,891,181 times
Here's a pretty good article pointing to an airplane as the probable cause.

It was US Airways flight 808 | Time to Think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology