Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 02:05 AM

713 posts, read 3,437,724 times

Advertisements

Body Scanners Coming to Trains, Subways and Boats, Homeland Security Chief Says | Popular Science

Quote:
Brace yourselves, commuters — body scanners may be coming to trains, subways and boats, according to Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano.
So they will have them at are public schools and in the hospitals and at amusement parks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 11:25 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,630,400 times
People can opt for a pat down instead of a scan. Which is better? A scan or a pat down? The current catch phrase regarding pat downs is "Don't touch my junk!" That all began as shown in the first clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3lbnSLalWQ

Within a day or two, the phrase showed up as a tune - "the TSA Hustle".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhEMRSp7vaY

And a day after that, a remix of it showed up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fVzs1wzzOk

Old 11-25-2010, 01:07 PM

713 posts, read 3,437,724 times
lols well a lot of people are calling those who are protesting crazy since if something does happen they will be out saying the government did nothing to prevent it.

Most people careless for the scan because they just want to get on their plane as fast as possible and like the scan better than a 3 minute pat down.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:58 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,127,517 times
I'd like to know what companies are making those scanners...that is, if I had the money to buy in. I'm already fully invested.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:16 PM

805 posts, read 2,000,027 times
I just walk through them naked :-D

Old 11-25-2010, 03:44 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,630,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I'd like to know what companies are making those scanners...that is, if I had the money to buy in. I'm already fully invested.
L-3 Communications and Rapiscan Systems are a couple going green. Err, mostly this kind of green --> $$$$$$$
Body scanner makers doubled lobbying cash over 5 years - USATODAY.com

Old 11-26-2010, 04:38 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,583,918 times
I always opt to be molested, sickening as it is.

These scanners are a point of particular contention for me. Just going off raw stats, there have been something like 380,000,000 commercial flights (passenger bearing + non passenger bearing) in a row that have successfully gone into the air and safely landed on the ground without being taken down as a result of something other than weather, pilot error, mechanical problems, etc. since the last time one was brought down as a result of a terrorist. Your odds of winning the Powerball are 1-in-195,000,000.

So, statistically speaking, I would win the lottery just shy of twice before I would be on an airplane with a terrorist that could crash the plane. Looking back at the "close calls" we've had since the lsat time a terrorist took a plane down, we had one attempt that had no chance of ever succeeding (shoe bomb) and one attempt that had next-to-no chance of ever succeeding except with perfect placement on the plane itself and an absolutely perfect detonation (Captain Underroos) - and even then, it is questionable as to whether it would have worked. When one factors in that the TSA has very quietly admitted these new scanners wouldn't have stopped Captain Underroos, one has to question just why it is these are suddenly so necessary. Of course, there's also the little issue that Captain Underroos boarded a plane in a country that doesn't allow these scanners, so um, how are they supposed to accomplish anything, again?

On the flip side, while the TSA is almost 100% guaranteed to NOT catch a terrorist with these machines (seeing as how in the 9 years they've been out and about, they have caught precisely 0 terrorists - and yes, that's a statistical fact), going through those scanners is 100% guaranteed to give you a nice dose of radiation. I'm sorry, but when an agency tells me that it's "perfectly safe....so long as you don't fly frequently" and that "you 'should' be safe....if you don't fly frequently", red flags start going up. When weighed against the odds of these scanners actually accomplishing something on a flight I'd be on, and it becomes a no-brainer that whoever authorized them has no brain.

And my mind just comes to a screeching halt when they try pulling the "well, it's like getting an X-Ray" bit. Funny thing, that: When I get an X-Ray, the doctor covers my sensitive parts with a lead apron, LEAVES THE ROOM so he's not exposed to it, and gives me a narrow-focus 2 second zap in a very specific area. It happens about once a year on average (dental). There's a big difference between getting a quick zap in a specific area of your body and just having your entire body bombarded with them twice weekly for each flight out and return trip.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:20 AM

It's not like an x-ray. The wavelength is a lot different. It's like being in flight for three seconds, and you'd be in flight for a lot longer than that.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:45 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Don't forget the ZBV vans. Homeland Security just bought an additional 500 ZBV vans. These are mobile vans that use backscatter radiation technology to scan through vehicles on both sides of the van as well as passengers inside vehicles and pedestrians.

As these vans move through residential neighborhoods and parking lots they see through parked vehicles and into homes, recording nekkid body images of everyone.

Looking for 'terrorists'; and to date both the airport nekkid body scanners and the ZBV van scanners have accounted how many terrorist arrests? zero.

Radiation is radiation, it does not matter what frequency the radiation is set at, it is still ionizing radiation that causes known tissue damage.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:45 AM

How about radiation from the sun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology