U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:38 PM

3,231 posts, read 3,475,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
so, no one would voluntarily upgrade to better-than-human?
As it is right now, amputating certain body parts/ doing intrusive surgeries necessary to implant such machinery greatly reduce your life expectancy. That is one of the major reasons imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 12:57 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,010,885 times
No. I've seen Repo Men...

Old 12-21-2010, 05:48 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,526,857 times
I want to be like dr octavius from spiderman

Old 12-21-2010, 10:00 PM

138 posts, read 208,940 times
Quote:
As tech improves, we might have the option of replacing bio parts with tech parts. Would you partake?
No! What kind of soulless person would do this?? A monster that's who!

Quote:
Extendo-wiener?
Ok, you've convinced me.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:22 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,687,600 times
I'd enhance one side while leaving the other side as my meat backup.

For instance, I would replace my left eye with a mechanical implant that could, say give me telescopic through microscopic zoom capability, infrared, UV, low-light etc. vision.

In the same manner, I'd replace my left arm (I'm right-handed) with a biomechanical device with the ability to bend steel or punch through concrete. Some onboard tools would be nice too. Say a compartment with screwdriver, wrenches, etc. How about a taser too?

Ditto for the left lung and kidney. Maybe nothing below the waist, though. It wouldn't do me much good to have one mechanical leg. I'd either run at normal speed or end up going in circles. So lets leave those normal. If I can crush granite in my left hand, there shouldn't be much call for running away.

What would be really neat would be some MMI ports so that I could plug into any computer and interface with it as if it were my own brain. Why, hello, Mr. ATM.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:14 AM

713 posts, read 3,023,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I'd enhance one side while leaving the other side as my meat backup.

For instance, I would replace my left eye with a mechanical implant that could, say give me telescopic through microscopic zoom capability, infrared, UV, low-light etc. vision.

In the same manner, I'd replace my left arm (I'm right-handed) with a biomechanical device with the ability to bend steel or punch through concrete. Some onboard tools would be nice too. Say a compartment with screwdriver, wrenches, etc. How about a taser too?

Ditto for the left lung and kidney. Maybe nothing below the waist, though. It wouldn't do me much good to have one mechanical leg. I'd either run at normal speed or end up going in circles. So lets leave those normal. If I can crush granite in my left hand, there shouldn't be much call for running away.

What would be really neat would be some MMI ports so that I could plug into any computer and interface with it as if it were my own brain. Why, hello, Mr. ATM.

What would you do if you are hit with a strong EMP or electricity

Old 12-22-2010, 07:35 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,241,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyj42 View Post
No! What kind of soulless person would do this?? A monster that's who!
people do it all the time.

new hearts, prosthetic arms, feet, etc...

are they monsters?

and, how will you compete in the new world when the monster next to you is much smarter, faster, doesnt get sick, etc...

Old 12-22-2010, 07:37 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,241,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
What would you do if you are hit with a strong EMP or electricity
I think there are ways of shielding from EMP.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:48 PM

4,428 posts, read 5,491,844 times
Actually the article get into something that is much deeper. Would you replace (over time) Your organic brain with a......for back of a better word, Nano brain. basically your brain becomes a "living" computer. And of course with the new brain you going to think much faster and your perceptions of the world are going to probably change significantly with this nano replacement.
Yeah that to me is a complete and utter game changer for the Human/Nano race.

And to be honest. Since I'm more of a risk taker. I do it in a second. I just can't turn down the possible benefit of a superhuman mind.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:12 AM

32,111 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Resistance is futile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology