U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2011, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
14,382 posts, read 7,525,626 times
Reputation: 6626

Advertisements

A very interesting article but I have to take exception to the method used to prove the science. The entire premise of the Big Bang theory is that something came from nothing, "This fundamental particle, thought to give mass to all particles", yet there was nothing to collide when the Big Bang supposedly occurred. This leads me to think the whole premise of finding the God particle (and if found), will be based on bad science.

Optimism Grows on Finding the 'God Particle' in 2011 | Particle Physics & Higgs Boson, Large Hadron Collider, Accelerators | LiveScience

"My favourite definition of an intellectual: 'Someone who has been educated beyond his/her intelligence." - Clarke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2011, 12:46 PM
 
14,920 posts, read 10,766,507 times
Reputation: 4828
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
A very interesting article but I have to take exception to the method used to prove the science. The entire premise of the Big Bang theory is that something came from nothing, "This fundamental particle, thought to give mass to all particles", yet there was nothing to collide when the Big Bang supposedly occurred. This leads me to think the whole premise of finding the God particle (and if found), will be based on bad science.

Optimism Grows on Finding the 'God Particle' in 2011 | Particle Physics & Higgs Boson, Large Hadron Collider, Accelerators | LiveScience

"My favourite definition of an intellectual: 'Someone who has been educated beyond his/her intelligence." - Clarke
Um, the Higgs mechanism and the Higgs Boson don't really have anything to do with the Big Bang theory. Not sure why you're conflating the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 12:53 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,499,527 times
Reputation: 1267
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Um, the Higgs mechanism and the Higgs Boson don't really have anything to do with the Big Bang theory. Not sure why you're conflating the two.
Shouldn't bother the atheists on this board....rational thought was never a prerequisite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 12:57 PM
 
14,920 posts, read 10,766,507 times
Reputation: 4828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Shouldn't bother the atheists on this board....rational thought was never a prerequisite.
Your post confuses me. Were you attacking me or the OP?

And rational thought v. faith is precisely what delineates a non-believer from a theist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,078 posts, read 17,092,025 times
Reputation: 7707
If you go back far enough, you must find that the original something had to come from nothing, don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
20,894 posts, read 13,165,826 times
Reputation: 3949
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The entire premise of the Big Bang theory is that something came from nothing, "This fundamental particle, thought to give mass to all particles", yet there was nothing to collide when the Big Bang supposedly occurred.
Then it's a very good thing that you are wrong concerning the premise of the Big Bang theory.

It does not require something to come from nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 02:19 PM
 
4,994 posts, read 7,789,321 times
Reputation: 2889
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
A very interesting article but I have to take exception to the method used to prove the science. The entire premise of the Big Bang theory is that something came from nothing, "This fundamental particle, thought to give mass to all particles", yet there was nothing to collide when the Big Bang supposedly occurred. This leads me to think the whole premise of finding the God particle (and if found), will be based on bad science.

Optimism Grows on Finding the 'God Particle' in 2011 | Particle Physics & Higgs Boson, Large Hadron Collider, Accelerators | LiveScience

"My favourite definition of an intellectual: 'Someone who has been educated beyond his/her intelligence." - Clarke
There are some people who maintain that the Big Bang represents something from nothing. I think that notion is fading though. It's not unreasonable to think that something happened to cause the Big Bang. The hard part is that it's not yet known what that cause was. Colliding Branes is one possibility that's being considered which could generate more than enough energy to trigger a Big Bang and form an entire universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 03:20 PM
 
7,376 posts, read 12,560,186 times
Reputation: 6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
If you go back far enough, you must find that the original something had to come from nothing, don't you?
only if you assume time has a start and an end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
14,382 posts, read 7,525,626 times
Reputation: 6626
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
only if you assume time has a start and an end.
And do you believe there are multi-verses as well? Are there thousands of you living in different timelines at this very moment?

Which came first the chicken or the egg, and if God created man, who created God? What if God said let it be, and it was? The universe is expanding further and further and I've yet to find where he said "let it stop". So, IMHO, the universe was spoken into existence without a stop clause.

With as much as $4B invested (far more in all probability), in CERN's search for such things, I fully expect that science will discover whatever it needs to justify the costs. Can you say Global Warming? Money always dictates that results be found regardless of the actual truth. Science not only discovers truths but creates them as well. Kind of ironic.

Last edited by steven_h; 01-05-2011 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 09:39 AM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,499,527 times
Reputation: 1267
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Your post confuses me. Were you attacking me or the OP?

And rational thought v. faith is precisely what delineates a non-believer from a theist.
I'm attacking your silly statements that only atheists are able to think straight. Honestly...the dopiest thing you can say is that atheists use rational thought. I've not met one yet that would actually consider the proofs presented to them.

As a general statement, the new atheists today tend to be arrogant, stubborn and unwilling to use logical, rational thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top