U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:06 PM

645 posts, read 835,624 times

Advertisements

Have any of you watched the movie "Strange Days?" For those who have not seen it, the movie involves technology that that allows a person to make a recording of one's experiences (including memory, emotions, sensations, thought processes etc.) - sort of like a DVR for the brain. The cool part is that another person can then use a device to fully experience the other person's recording as if it was actually happening to them.

Man - if this was around today - I think I'd be a total addict. I can just imagine all the things I'd love to do that I'm way too afraid to try in real life (like I'd love to experience skydiving with one of those crazy wing suits).

So, what do y'all think - do any of you geniuses out there think this type of thing could become reality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 09:54 PM

16,858 posts, read 51,350,636 times
Sounds like a rip-off of the movie "Brainstorm." I'd probably want to take a half-dozen showers after such an experience.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:28 AM

Harry - I've never seen Brainstorm, but just looked it up. You're right, seems similar. Funny how things work in Hollywood - it's all the same thing served up in different ways.

I can quickly see how something like this - if it's even possible - would quickly become banned/illegal. Seems that any new technology seems to quickly go the way of vice (ie; Xbox Kinect). It's a nerds world, my friend.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:42 AM

8,187 posts, read 21,752,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Sounds like a rip-off of the movie "Brainstorm."
Beat me to it.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:41 AM

4,989 posts, read 7,766,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
Harry - I've never seen Brainstorm, but just looked it up. You're right, seems similar. Funny how things work in Hollywood - it's all the same thing served up in different ways.

I can quickly see how something like this - if it's even possible - would quickly become banned/illegal. Seems that any new technology seems to quickly go the way of vice (ie; Xbox Kinect). It's a nerds world, my friend.
There are several similar films, such as Videodrome, Total Recall, a sequel of Spy Kids, and more recently, Inception. There are others as well. The Matrix could be tossed in as well for good measure.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:50 AM

OK - so we all know that the concept has been depicted in Hollywood in various ways, shapes, forms...but the question is, do you think it is remotely possible to record an experience so that another person can experience it? How about re-experiencing it yourself? I'd say, if possible, it is way better than a video or photo slide show.

As a kid, I used to think it would be so cool to record my dreams so that I could check them out later or share them with a friend.

I'd love to be able to vicariously experience (with all the emotions and sensations) what it would be like to play a guitar solo in front of a huge audience, climb Mt Everest, hit a game winning MLB homerun, or even something like experience winning the lottery or a big competition - or travel to some far off locale.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:43 AM

16,858 posts, read 51,350,636 times
Having had plenty of exciting experiences in life, even a few near-death experiences, I wouldn't find that appealing. Being totally miserably hot while looking at Mayan ruins is no fun. Standing on an eroding shelf of rock above a precipice is a simple "Oh sh--!" moment. Being the object of adulation in a play or sports setting is fine for people with big ego needs, but just a transient experience that means nothing without the labor required to get to that point.

There is a different type of virtual reality that is more practical and likely will come along. Look up "cave virtual reality" and you'll find there has been some exciting work with immersive 3-D. With the addition of some of the old 3-D Keystone views and other historical photos, sketches and paintings, and a lot of computer interpretation, it should be possible to visit Jerusalem EXACTLY as it was in the 1900s, while it was still as it was for about 1800 years, and then step back a little further and walk around Solomon's Temple as a tourist.

Taken in a different direction, there is no technical reason right now why a model airplane couldn't be fitted with wide angle 3D cameras and hooked into a feedback circuit that would allow you to fly like a bird, arms outstretched, banking, rolling, and diving through the actual landscape with natural shifts of body weight and arm movements. Variable speed fans would give you indications of relative speed.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:18 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,859,369 times
Once we can manufacture a human brain sure we can do this....

Just what I want to experience, my ex-wife's thoughts..... the final seconds of JFK's life....

Old 01-06-2011, 07:46 PM

4,989 posts, read 7,766,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Once we can manufacture a human brain sure we can do this....

Just what I want to experience, my ex-wife's thoughts..... the final seconds of JFK's life....
Might need more than one human brain, as well as every minute detail of information uniquely perceived by each brain. Might be impossible to do with regards to people in the past who are no longer alive. But if the technology was available, perhaps it would be possible to download everything stored in a person's brain. I dunno, there are some things in my brain I'd just as soon forget about.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:32 AM

8,187 posts, read 21,752,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
OK - so we all know that the concept has been depicted in Hollywood in various ways, shapes, forms...but the question is, do you think it is remotely possible to record an experience so that another person can experience it? How about re-experiencing it yourself? I'd say, if possible, it is way better than a video or photo slide show.

As a kid, I used to think it would be so cool to record my dreams so that I could check them out later or share them with a friend.

I'd love to be able to vicariously experience (with all the emotions and sensations) what it would be like to play a guitar solo in front of a huge audience, climb Mt Everest, hit a game winning MLB homerun, or even something like experience winning the lottery or a big competition - or travel to some far off locale.
It is currently not possible, but definitely plausible. Neurons pass electrical signals between each other. They also send chemicals. There is some belief, and evidence, that when we experience something-whether a thought or action-the neurons fire in a particular order and in order to recall that information, the neurons must fire in the same order. Kind of like morse code.

So, it could be possible to record these signals since they are electrical and then to have a different brain fire in the same manner through some sort of device. This brings up two issues that immediately come to mind:

1. The sub-conscious mind cannot tell the difference between reality and fantasy, which is why people can "trick" themselves into believing something simply by thinking about it [enough]. Or how dreams can seem "so real" that sometimes individuals are convinced that they really happened.

The dilemma here is that by "playing" someone else's thoughts, experiences, in your own mind, these thoughts and experiences can become your own since your brain will not know the difference.

So, there would need to be someway to experience this from afar. i.e., to be able to view these experiences while still retaining the ability that you are, in fact, watching someone else's life. Like when you watch a movie. You can become completely engrossed into the film, yet, you are still aware that you are sitting in a movie theater watching something up on a screen.

2. Interpretation of the information. Does everyone's brain fire in the same way? If I eat a candy bar, do I experience the same "sensations" that you would? This is purely philosophical, but I don't think that two or more people experiencing the same event would have the same experience. Perhaps, if you were to hook up to the device and replay an event of someone eating that candy bar, it translates in your mind as an all-together different experience based on the differences in the way that "recorders" neurons and "player" neurons fire.

I suppose there would also be a third and fourth.

3. You would need to know which part of the brain to focus on in order to record the particular event.

4. How would you filter the event? Would you just record the event, or would you captures the person's emotions, thoughts, etc. that they are associating with the event, too.

But, would I do it? Heck yeah! There would only be certain events that I would be interested in, though. Such as an astronaut blasting off into space or someone going on deep-sea dive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or