U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 06:50 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,780,294 times

Advertisements

Neurons are complicated, but the basic functional concept is that synapses transmit electrical signals to the dendrites and cell body (input), and axons carry signals away (output). In one of many surprise findings, Northwestern University scientists have discovered that axons can operate in reverse: they can send signals to the cell body, too.

It also turns out axons can talk to each other. Before sending signals in reverse, axons can perform their own neural computations without any involvement from the cell body or dendrites. This is contrary to typical neuronal communication where an axon of one neuron is in contact with another neuron's dendrite or cell body, not its axon. And, unlike the computations performed in dendrites, the computations occurring in axons are thousands of times slower, potentially creating a means for neurons to compute fast things in dendrites and slow things in axons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 08:23 PM

419 posts, read 736,141 times
It will be interesting to see how this new discovery plays out in the years to come. I feel for those upcoming college students who'll have to buy brand new textbooks when the info is updated. More ramen noodle meals for them.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:58 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,898,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Neurons are complicated, but the basic functional concept is that synapses transmit electrical signals to the dendrites and cell body (input), and axons carry signals away (output). In one of many surprise findings, Northwestern University scientists have discovered that axons can operate in reverse: they can send signals to the cell body, too.

It also turns out axons can talk to each other. Before sending signals in reverse, axons can perform their own neural computations without any involvement from the cell body or dendrites. This is contrary to typical neuronal communication where an axon of one neuron is in contact with another neuron's dendrite or cell body, not its axon. And, unlike the computations performed in dendrites, the computations occurring in axons are thousands of times slower, potentially creating a means for neurons to compute fast things in dendrites and slow things in axons.

I asked my pastor about this and he thinks the scientists at Northwestern couldn't possibly know these types of things because they are impossible to know.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:27 PM

588 posts, read 2,497,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I asked my pastor about this and he thinks the scientists at Northwestern couldn't possibly know these types of things because they are impossible to know.
Why are they impossible to know? Sounds like a pretty typical university-level scientific experiment to me. And what makes your pastor a credible commentator on the subject?

Old 02-18-2011, 09:31 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,898,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
Why are they impossible to know? Sounds like a pretty typical university-level scientific experiment to me. And what makes your pastor a credible commentator on the subject?
He's a pastor, obviously he understands the way things really are. You actually believe those "scientists"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or