U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:02 PM

5,340 posts, read 5,974,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, the key symptoms are small minded, often bigoted blanket statements about people whose religious and political views you don't agree with and.......

Uh oh, I think you better get tested.
Nothing wrong with religion and FOX (or any other collective mind F) as long as you are reasonably able to think as an individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 10:41 AM

13,001 posts, read 23,838,564 times
Scientists have identifyed four types of fungus that infect carpenter ants in the brazilian rain forest and then infect their brains and makes them zombies as it controls the ants to create a safe place for the fungi and then it kills the ant and then infects others to start the process all over.

Makes me wonder if certain fungi could infect humans and control our DNA/RNA and infact i believe a type of fungi that infects us is called mycotoxin (mold) although i'm not sure we know to what extent it could cause any disease or not in the human bodies.

Zombie Ants Controlled by Fungus - LiveScience

Old 03-04-2011, 02:18 PM

29,804 posts, read 18,116,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Scientists have identifyed four types of fungus that infect carpenter ants in the brazilian rain forest and then infect their brains and makes them zombies as it controls the ants to create a safe place for the fungi and then it kills the ant and then infects others to start the process all over.

Makes me wonder if certain fungi could infect humans and control our DNA/RNA and infact i believe a type of fungi that infects us is called mycotoxin (mold) although i'm not sure we know to what extent it could cause any disease or not in the human bodies.

Zombie Ants Controlled by Fungus - LiveScience
DUDE! I've seen that on TV. The other ants will spot them acting wierd and carry them out away from the colony. The ant sprouts a mushroom-thingy from it's head as it dies and the spores can wipe out entire colonies if the ant dies amongst them....just like a bad horror movie.

There is also a parasite whose life cycle requires digestion by birds after it lives in an ant. It basically makes the ant climb up to a high place and attract attention so that a bird swoops down and eats it.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:08 AM

13,001 posts, read 23,838,564 times
Quote:
DUDE! I've seen that on TV. The other ants will spot them acting wierd and carry them out away from the colony. The ant sprouts a mushroom-thingy from it's head as it dies and the spores can wipe out entire colonies if the ant dies amongst them....just like a bad horror movie.

There is also a parasite whose life cycle requires digestion by birds after it lives in an ant. It basically makes the ant climb up to a high place and attract attention so that a bird swoops down and eats it.
How interesting about how an fungus can control/tell it's host as to where it wants to be re-located to as it has to make one wonder ......

Old 03-05-2011, 03:57 PM

15,292 posts, read 11,545,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Just reading a cool story on Popular Science magazine about while highly unlikely however not impossible for a mad scientist could develope a virus to infect the human race that would then travel to and infect different regions of our brains that could make us into zombies (at least theoretically)

The author theorizes the use of Prions attached to a virus that can quickly infect humans and travel to the brain to shut down parts of it while keeping other parts functioning.

Anyway it's a quick read for those interested.

FYI: Could Scientists Really Create a Zombie Apocalypse Virus? - Popular Science Magazine

Hey 6 Foot...I think you'll enjoy this information>>>>>

Return of the brain-controlling zombie-ant parasitic fungi : Neurophilosophy

Photos: "Zombie" Ants Found With New Mind-Control Fungi

Brainwashed by a parasite Neurophilosophy

Killer Fungi and Zombie Ants | Byte Size Biology

New Zombie-Ant Fungi Found | Parasites & Mind Control | LiveScience

Video of fungus that grows out of insects - Boing Boing

Ant Fungus - Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCOQ0VU24xw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWB_C...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzGCS...eature=related

Old 03-05-2011, 04:20 PM

875 posts, read 759,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Watch the movie "28 Days Later" and think if something like that ever happened. Seems impossible to me, but you never know!
28 Days Later is the closest reality to a Zombie Apocalypse coming true. Humans having a thirst for human flesh is very improbable though.

I sometimes wish most of the population would become zombies. Then life would be so much easier compared to now. I could just walk around taking food and avoiding zombies. lol

Old 03-05-2011, 05:48 PM

4,095 posts, read 4,535,829 times
Quote:

There's a parasitic protozoa known as Toxoplasma gondii, which is spread by infecting mammals, birds, and humans. The parasite can produce some pretty nasty effects in humans as well as as other animals, some of which are rather zombie-like, by entering the brain of the host. Rats and mice that become infected by the parasite will lose their instinctive fear of cats, making them an easy meal and a way for the parasite to spread as part of its life cycle. Eggs of the parasite are passed out of the host by hitching a ride in the host's feces, where it will remain until it is ultimately consumed by an animal, such as by licking or cleaning paws or fur, or by simply eating an infected prey. It can also be spread by means of undercooked food which is contaminated by the parasite, or can be passed on to unborn babies by means of the mother's bloodstream. Cats are definitive hosts of the parasite, but don't seem to be affected by it, other than serving to help spread it around.

Cats Have Toxoplasma gondii – Zombie Making Parasites Anguished Repose

CDC - Toxoplasma gondii and Schizophrenia

Toxoplasma gondii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Straight Dope: If cat poop is so toxic to pregnant women, why aren't there more birth defects? Can cat poop cause schizophrenia?

Old 03-06-2011, 08:34 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,163,653 times
Well, if that happens, just be sure to remember:

Rule #1-- Cardio!
Rule #2-- Always check the backseat!

Old 04-11-2011, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 855 times
science is good but scientist should know their limits. they will try to make everything and might **** us up too, like what happen in the movie i am legend do we want to destroy the world with our stupid fictional believes. God created us all and gave us his wisdom and we are being stupid and stubborn whilst some people have not eaten for days. what a bunch of useless mammals we are. dont get me wrong. i love the movie i am legend. but you still havent got the message. light up the darkness.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:08 PM

9,216 posts, read 12,525,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Well, if that happens, just be sure to remember:

Rule #1-- Cardio!
Rule #2-- Always check the backseat!
YouTube -
guns lots of guns and bullets like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology