U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 03:39 PM

4,989 posts, read 7,766,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Oh my gosh...what am i going to do with you??

You mean you havn't seen '28 days later'?
And heard about the 'Rage' virus??....

Ok, let me find a clip for you...

28 Days Later - Opening Scene - YouTube

This is why it's not good for animal rights groups to just go in and release animals in bio labs, cause they have no idea what those animals have been injected with...

This scenerio could very well happen....
warning...opening scenes kind of graphic....
There are a lot of movies out there. No one can possibly see them all. I did a little search about the 'Rage virus'. It's fictional. It's a movie based on a graphic novel (comic book) with the same title. That's suppose to be a valid reason for concern? So is it supposed to be about zombies, or what?
Rage Virus - 28 Days Later Wiki

I agree that it wouldn't be a very smart move to break into a research lab. In most cases, security would be so tight it'd be like trying to break into Ft. Knox. Most animal rights groups tend to protest. There have been a few small radical groups that have broken into buildings to 'rescue' or 'free' captive anmals, but they're usually private puppy mills and mink farms. The minks had little chance of surviving when released since they weren't born and bred in the wild. If there are any mink farms left, there can't be many since activists who use advertising and promotional stunts to raise public awareness, and as such there's not much demand for mink coats these days. Most companies use synthetic 'fur' because it serves the same purpose and is cheaper to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 04:14 PM

142 posts, read 498,206 times
Scientists genetically engineering a highly transmissible strain of H5N1 is definitely risky business. With a 59% mortality rate, I guess it is no joke - but those most likely to die are the elderly, infants or those with compromised immune systems.

For a really scary read - research the Reston virus. A mutated strain of ebola which escaped a simian holding facility/laboratory in Reston, Virginia. The governement kept that under wraps.

Luckily, the CDC is comprised of some pretty smart people, or this could have turned out far worse.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:14 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,348,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
There are a lot of movies out there. No one can possibly see them all. I did a little search about the 'Rage virus'. It's fictional. It's a movie based on a graphic novel (comic book) with the same title. That's suppose to be a valid reason for concern? So is it supposed to be about zombies, or what?
Rage Virus - 28 Days Later Wiki

I agree that it wouldn't be a very smart move to break into a research lab. In most cases, security would be so tight it'd be like trying to break into Ft. Knox. Most animal rights groups tend to protest. There have been a few small radical groups that have broken into buildings to 'rescue' or 'free' captive anmals, but they're usually private puppy mills and mink farms. The minks had little chance of surviving when released since they weren't born and bred in the wild. If there are any mink farms left, there can't be many since activists who use advertising and promotional stunts to raise public awareness, and as such there's not much demand for mink coats these days. Most companies use synthetic 'fur' because it serves the same purpose and is cheaper to use.
Is the movie suppose to be about zombies?

The director or writers took peoples classic notion of a Zombie...and kind of tweaked it...

They added spead to the zombies, and instead of coming back from the dead, they never died, rather were infected...

Thus in many post '28 days later' type movies you hear the term 'infected' rather than zombie...

But even traditional zombie series, like the re-make of 'Night of the living dead'...sped up their zombies to match the intensity of the 'infected'...

I doubt zombies will ever be depicted as the slow moving slumbering types anymore...people want speed now...

It just seems to evoke more fear when you have 20 zombie track stars running at you all at once vs slow moving kind...

Now Frankenstein, the monster, probably falls more into the zombie type...

As far as the 'Rage' virus...I'm willing to bet there are viruses out there that have simular effects on biological life forms...

Many writers of fiction movies, get their ideas from researchers...and many are former researchers themselves...and is why they know so much...

Old 12-17-2011, 04:29 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,158,474 times
According to a survey viewers of FOX NEWS know less than people who know nothing, it's already been done

Old 12-17-2011, 04:36 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,348,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebral_cortex View Post
Scientists genetically engineering a highly transmissible strain of H5N1 is definitely risky business. With a 59% mortality rate, I guess it is no joke - but those most likely to die are the elderly, infants or those with compromised immune systems.

For a really scary read - research the Reston virus. A mutated strain of ebola which escaped a simian holding facility/laboratory in Reston, Virginia. The governement kept that under wraps.

Luckily, the CDC is comprised of some pretty smart people, or this could have turned out far worse.
I looked up that term...and oddly enough...in the first paragraph, one of the real life occurances of infection is described exactly how the movie 28 days later begins....amazing...

Ebola Reston Outbreaks

Maybe this is where the got the idea of the movie from...

Old 12-17-2011, 04:52 PM

142 posts, read 498,206 times
Quote:
Many writers of fiction movies, get their ideas from researchers...and many are former researchers themselves...and is why they know so much...
True, Michael Crichton had an MD from Harvard University and wrote technically and scientifically accurate, or at the very least - plausible sci-fi books.

Terminal Man is a good read; check it out.

He describes neurosurgical deep brain stimulation techniques years before it was even attempted on a patient.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:48 AM

1 posts, read 951 times
Exclamation My theory about nano-tech

I have my own thoery about this nanotechnology, *my thoery is if a person is affected or infected by these nanobots. Than what would happen when a person is shot or strook dead on the floor? What will the nanobots do, my guess is that they'll restart there host. But it would take a while to do so. Probably causing the brain to die off, because the brain dies within *6 to 10 minutes. So they'll probably adapt to there environment and jumpstart there host, but remember the brain I was talking about. When a persons brain and them selfs are dead there memory is usually gone, so what happens when there up and possibly running, they'll want a knew host who ain't being controlled by them. *So how will they do that? Easy, biting or scratching any one whose alive , anything that will be easy'er for them who knows.*
Now my other theory is the zombie theory. When the person is up and running. Will the the nanobots heal the person too, possibly. But will the person wake up the same, probably not. What I think will happen is that the people who wake up will have so much pressure in there heads they'll wake up like wild animals, most likely like a lion or a wild tiger. The so called *ZOMBIE or reanimated person will charge at you if provoked or hungry of corse like a lion or tiger ready to eat or really angry. Now how will it pass on like a zombie affection? My best guess is that the nanobots will probably change after this. Causing change to happen rapidly, they'll probably be so used to the behavior change they'll change there hostess behavior too making a problem for every body. But wait what about the good or not so good nanobots they'll probably cause trouble in your body seeing who should be host killing the person with them, its like two male lions fighting for territory, well i hope you like my theory please note this is just my theory of the nanotechnology being develop and there bad possibilities they have on us. (By the way sorry for the run-on sentences)*

Old 05-13-2012, 03:55 PM

26,163 posts, read 14,471,337 times
Its funny,i heard Obama visited some NANO-TECH plant or something last week.....

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dai...ama-visit-to-s

I wouldnt be surprised if they tried!!

Old 05-14-2012, 06:30 AM

32 posts, read 104,658 times
yes. umbrella corporation has done it!! but thanks to Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield who has saved us countless times, we are not aware of the raccoon city being annihilated so the virus won't spread!!

i actually found the CURE for zombie virus and i intend to tell my hero Jill, about it, ASAP!!! the cure is....... SILVER!

Old 05-15-2012, 06:58 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,987,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverworks View Post
yes. umbrella corporation has done it!! but thanks to Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield who has saved us countless times, we are not aware of the raccoon city being annihilated so the virus won't spread!!

i actually found the CURE for zombie virus and i intend to tell my hero Jill, about it, ASAP!!! the cure is....... SILVER!
Curious as to why silver?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or