U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 06:53 AM

15,404 posts, read 17,331,195 times

Advertisements

Here is a fascinating article from Scientific American Magazine>>>>>

Can Geoengineering Save the World from Global Warming?: Scientific American

Geoengineering the climate: science, governance and uncertainty (01 September 2009) - Publications | Royal Society
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Gue

24,120 posts, read 8,086,542 times
Nuclear explosions in space vs Global warming...

Hmm..What a choice!

Old 03-04-2011, 01:06 PM

23,371 posts, read 33,756,935 times
I haven't read the articles (my bad), but I just have to say what I first thought when I read the OP.

Will this work out as well as the locks and dams on the Mississippi?

Old 03-04-2011, 02:29 PM

15,924 posts, read 15,128,774 times
I'm sorry. I get scared when I read about what these experts have to say concerning the environment.

They base almost all their conclusions on 100 years of data, most of their conclusions on only the last 30 years of tainted data.

Remember when the experts claimed the ozone layer was being depleted and what we had to do? (and did?) Did it stop the depletion? NO.

Until these climate fearologists can prove via the scientific method there actually is a climate shift they should shut up. If they are so confident in their forecasts/predictions why do they not release all the data-sets they used in their predictions?

Why do they not want to put their hypothesis out so everyone can use the scientific method to verify their conclusions?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

When I read this:
Quote:
Starting with the [U.S.'s] 1958 Argus A-bomb explosions in space and ending with the 1962 Starfish Prime H-bomb test, the militaries of both nations sought to modify the global environment for military purposes.
I knew I was reading about another conspiracy nut.... I was surprised that HAARP wasn't brought up.... Conspiracy nuts love to point to it as a cause of the destruction of the environment....

The purpose of the tests inside high Earth atmosphere:

Quote:
The purpose of the shots was to determine both feasibility of nuclear weapons as an anti-ballistic missile defense, as well as a means to defeat satellites and manned orbiting vehicles in space.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-al...lear_explosion

Last edited by plwhit; 03-04-2011 at 02:37 PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
Nuclear explosions in space vs Global warming...

Hmm..What a choice!
ROFL.....I agree I think many of the solutions are not exactly without danger themselves and we are not technically advanced enough in our knowledge base to dare employ some of these techniques; however it was interesting reading and opens one's mind to the possibilities of how different parameters can directly affect our climate.....for better or worse. Problem is that soon the severe consequences of Global Melting may outweigh the risks of a few of these proposals.

Here are more links on this relatively new field/concept>>>>>

Geoengineering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Geoengineering: How to Cool Earth--At a Price: Scientific American

Geoengineering: Lift-off | The Economist

Features: Geoengineering our way out of trouble

Geoengineer.org - Center for Information Dissemination on Geoengineering

The Chemtrail Smoking Gun - Geoengineering

Can geoengineering put the freeze on global warming? - USATODAY.com

Geo-engineering | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Geoengineering: 5 Radical Proposals To Solving Global Warming With Technology

Can Geoengineering Help Slow Global Warming? - TIME

Poll: Should Geo-Engineering Go Forward? | Wired Science | Wired.com

Geoengineering faces ban : Nature News

U.N. urged to freeze climate geo-engineering projects | Reuters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzMVfJKJK_c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5E_p...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T20MUYL_R9A

Enjoy......I had no idea there was this much data and information on Geoengineering!.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'm sorry. I get scared when I read about what these experts have to say concerning the environment.

They base almost all their conclusions on 100 years of data, most of their conclusions on only the last 30 years of tainted data.

Remember when the experts claimed the ozone layer was being depleted and what we had to do? (and did?) Did it stop the depletion? NO.

Until these climate fearologists can prove via the scientific method there actually is a climate shift they should shut up. If they are so confident in their forecasts/predictions why do they not release all the data-sets they used in their predictions?

Why do they not want to put their hypothesis out so everyone can use the scientific method to verify their conclusions?

Scientific method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I read this:
I knew I was reading about another conspiracy nut.... I was surprised that HAARP wasn't brought up.... Conspiracy nuts love to point to it as a cause of the destruction of the environment....

The purpose of the tests inside high Earth atmosphere:

High-altitude nuclear explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
While I understand your fear and apprehension.....I can assure you that Global Warming is as Scientifically valid as is the Theory of Evolution. There are only a handful of Scientists who disagree with SOME of Global Warming's premises. This is only normal as you are well aware of the Scientific Method and what that entails.

Remember Global Warming means mainly that the Earth's mean temperature will increase; this does NOT mean it will get warmer everywhere or that winter will go away. Mainly the higher temperatures will be most evident in historically colder geographic areas.

Glaciers are melting in Greenland, along with the Himalayas and most other mountain ranges. Also the permafrost in Canada, Alaska and Siberia is disappearing. Coupled with ice sheets melting in the Artic and Antartic.

As far as Ozone goes many gases interact with and can degrade it. Fluorocarbons were banned to help ameloriate the degradition....not stop it.....the disappearance of the Ozone layer would have been much worse without the chemical ban.

Here is a link to NASA's GLOBAL ICE VIEWER......it has many different features and modes which will show what is happening worldwide through time. Check it out......you will be appalled at what is happening on planet Earth>>>>>>

Global Ice Viewer

Old 03-05-2011, 12:17 AM

15,924 posts, read 15,128,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post

Here is a link to NASA's GLOBAL ICE VIEWER......it has many different features and modes which will show what is happening worldwide through time. Check it out......you will be appalled at what is happening on planet Earth>>>>>>

Global Ice Viewer
I prefer this ice cap viewer:

Daily Arctic Sea Ice Maps

If I am viewing this map right and it's legend the deep purple shows the density of the ice pack has increased the last three years........

And the Southern ice cap is growing.....

Antarctic ice is growing, not melting away | News.com.au

Global warming is far from being a scientific fact...

Old 03-05-2011, 12:26 AM

The problem is phil.......it's still wintertime in the Artic so the point you're making is true but moot because it's winter.

I disagree about Antartica.....since the entire West Ice Sheet/Shelf collapsed. I prefer NASA's view on Science......

And scientists around the world agree on Global Warming except a few as I said...you can still find a few who may dispute parts of Evolution; however this does not mean either theory is not true...it's the Scientific Method working as intended.

By the way.......I don't necessarily agree with any Geoengineering of the planet until we have a lot more data and expertise; however we will eventually need to either intervene and/or cut carbon dioxide, methane and other emissions.....look at what happened to Venus.....it may happen here.....and I'd rather play it safe than sorry.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:12 AM

192 posts, read 155,120 times
Sounds pretty risky, but maybe they could do it in small steps first. I definitely want governments to let people know they are doing it though, and to seek the consent of the populace.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko View Post
Sounds pretty risky, but maybe they could do it in small steps first. I definitely want governments to let people know they are doing it though, and to seek the consent of the populace.
It is VERY RISKY but we may have little choice as climate change is accelerating even faster than the most optimistic Scientists projected!

Global Ice Viewer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology