U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 10:14 AM

10,777 posts, read 22,492,110 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z_cUOYwV3E

Man, I have a huge amount of respect for that test pilot, you can see that he know what he is doing is incredibly dangerous, but he does it anyway, because someone has to and that was the old spirt of the apollo missions that got us into space and later to the moon.

I belive the total cost to build it was 100,000 million and it made 3 sub-orbital space flights

I am not a fan of Richard Branson he comes off as if created the ship himself but the actual ship was designed by Burt Rutan and built by Scaled Composites and Jame Benson and his company designing the hybrid rocket engine.

Burt Rutan is the real legend but props for Richard Branson for having the vision to start Virgin Galactic.

Last edited by GTOlover; 03-04-2011 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 07:20 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,738,568 times
I was there for the X-prize-winning flight. I'm less impressed by Branson, Rutan, and Benson. Sure aerospace toys are fun, but that's what they're building; toys for rich tourists. These are just sub-orbital sounding rockets that go high, but not fast. Unless you can push a payload up to 7km/s, what's the big deal? If all you want to do is go high, then you might as well just use a balloon.

Sure, some microgravity researchers might buy free-fall time/space cheaper than they can get on-orbit time, but the major push for this is to put tourists up for a few minutes of free fall and a chance to see the black sky.

That test pilot's got guts, though, since he's basically flying a paper airplane with a rocket engine and a copper nosecone.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 PM

1,393 posts, read 6,936,709 times
I agree with aspects of both previous posts. Impressive..yes..but it's not a replacement for a cargo hauling "shuttle" type vehicle; but after all, that wasn't' the challenge at this point.

What I do take away from this sort of thing however is that when someone/ or group throws down the gauntlet (usually a big chunk of money) enterprising independent people will often think outside the box and come up with the solutions required to meet the proposed contest. Wether it be the demo here, the man powered flights (Gossamer Condor/Albatross) or going way back to a seaworthy stable clock that allowed accurate longitude positioning at sea..

More often than not a small group of dedicated people prove to be the real visionaries....not bloated bureaucracies.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology