Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:43 AM

222 posts, read 581,033 times

Advertisements

Well.. nuclear reactors eventually will became thermonuclear. Thing is that amount of Uranium is also restricted on the planet. Similar to oil it will be eventually completely used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:36 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
Well.. nuclear reactors eventually will became thermonuclear. Thing is that amount of Uranium is also restricted on the planet. Similar to oil it will be eventually completely used.

ROFLMFAO.........it is IMPOSSIBLE for a Nuclear Reactor to go "thermonuclear".........

Nuclear Reactors use the FISSION process.....Thermonuclear means FUSION.....we don't have a practical and commercial FUSION Reactor yet!

IF you mean a FISSION Reactor can cause a nuclear explosion...that too is IMPOSSIBLE....the fuel is not nearly enriched enough to attain critical mass!!!!!

The Uranium in laymen's terms is not pure enough for a bomb!

Nuclear weapons can either be Fission explosions(Atom Bomb) or a Fission explosion that in turn triggers a Fusion(thermonuclear) Explosion or Hydrogen Bomb.

And BREEDER Reactors make more nuclear fuel than they consume so your second assumption is also incorrect.

PLEASE read the links!!!!!

Nuclear fission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nuclear fusion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nuclear weapon design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Critical mass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Breeder reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now back to the main thread topic which I started to educate folks on the crisis in Japan>>>>>

The Meltdown That Wasn't: Quick Decisions Prevented a Bigger Nuclear Catastrophe: Scientific American

Google Translate

Old 03-25-2011, 02:03 PM

222 posts, read 581,033 times
PITTSTON2SARASOTA, I meant that eventually, in a few years, or may be in a few centuries, humanity will learn how to control thermonuclear reactions and will start build thermonuclear power stations.
Probably it will happened when uranium reserves on the Earth will be expended.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:12 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,347 times
I heard today that the workers at the plant stepped into water that had 10,000 times the normal level of radiation, and it burned right through their shoes...

These poor workers are doomed...they are sacrificing their lives to help others...wow...

Old 03-25-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
PITTSTON2SARASOTA, I meant that eventually, in a few years, or may be in a few centuries, humanity will learn how to control thermonuclear reactions and will start build thermonuclear power stations.
Probably it will happened when uranium reserves on the Earth will be expended.
Sorry.......I misunderstood you........the ITER Experimental Fusion Reactor is currently under construction in France.....so IMHO......in 30 years or less we will have our first commercial Fusion Reactor online>>>>>>

ITER Experimental Fusion Reactor: The Next Step Towards A Commercial Reactor.

ITER - the way to new energy

Old 03-25-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I heard today that the workers at the plant stepped into water that had 10,000 times the normal level of radiation, and it burned right through their shoes...

These poor workers are doomed...they are sacrificing their lives to help others...wow...
That is true, however the radiation penetrated their shoes(they did not have thicker rubber boots on, as they should have been wearing) but it did not "burn" through in a "chemical" or heat reaction as I think you are envisioning.

The workers received about 180 millisieverts of Beta radiation.....causing some skin blistering/burning. The maximum millisieverts per year per worker, during an emergency is 100 millisieverts.

Although above the limit it is NOT life threatening, but there is a possible higher risk of cancer.....only time will tell.

I admire the workers myself and believe they are very brave; however they are NOT doomed to die as you imply!

Workers Step in Radioactive Water at Japan's Nuclear Plant - IEEE Spectrum

Old 03-26-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
That is true, however the radiation penetrated their shoes(they did not have thicker rubber boots on, as they should have been wearing) but it did not "burn" through in a "chemical" or heat reaction as I think you are envisioning.

The workers received about 180 millisieverts of Beta radiation.....causing some skin blistering/burning. The maximum millisieverts per year per worker, during an emergency is 100 millisieverts.

Although above the limit it is NOT life threatening, but there is a possible higher risk of cancer.....only time will tell.

I admire the workers myself and believe they are very brave; however they are NOT doomed to die as you imply!

Workers Step in Radioactive Water at Japan's Nuclear Plant - IEEE Spectrum
Are you saying that radiation 'burns' aren't measured in tempurature?

In other words the water could be cold, but if radio-active, you can still get burned?

I guess what I'm asking is...is radiation 'hot'...tempurature hot?

Can snow be radioactive??

Old 03-27-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Are you saying that radiation 'burns' aren't measured in tempurature?

In other words the water could be cold, but if radio-active, you can still get burned?

I guess what I'm asking is...is radiation 'hot'...tempurature hot?

Can snow be radioactive??
YES.... they are not(measured in temperature)............radiation burns are caused by ionizing radiation that penetrates the skin. Heat is infrared....a very long wavelength.....most forms of radiation are a very short wavelength(high frequency or energy in a given area)....like Gamma Rays.

So yes.....the water can be "ice cold" but highly radioactive and yes......snow can be radioactive.....IF it were contaminated by high radiation.

These links will explain wavelengths and "energy density"(or frequency)......once you understand and master this concept you open a "window" into being able to understand MANY scientific concepts....which are all tied into electromagnetic wavelengthths.

The higher the frequency.......the shorter the wavelength.....over a given distance........hence more energetic......think X-Rays.

The lower the frequency.......the longer the wavelength.....over the same given distance....hence less energetic......think Radio signals.

It's simply the amount of energy packed into a given amount of space.

Starting at the longest wavelengths and moving to the shortest wavelengths: Radio then Microwave then Infrared then Visible Light then UltraViolet then X-Rays then Gamma Rays>>>>>>

This is also how different types of Space Telescopes "see" the Universe differently by looking at different wavelengths.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...telescopes.jpg

Electromagnetic spectrum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ionizing radiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:EM Spectrum Properties edit.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Electromagnetic Spectrum Chart

IF you have any more questions I'd be glad to help you understand this concept better....I like helping people and I reinforce and add to my knowledge base by helping others.

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 03-27-2011 at 06:21 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 11:09 PM

Here's a new link from Scientific American Magazine>>>>>

Safety Concerns Often Amount to Status Quo at U.S. Nuclear Industry's Aging Reactors: Scientific American

Old 03-28-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
YES.... they are not(measured in temperature)............radiation burns are caused by ionizing radiation that penetrates the skin. Heat is infrared....a very long wavelength.....most forms of radiation are a very short wavelength(high frequency or energy in a given area)....like Gamma Rays.

So yes.....the water can be "ice cold" but highly radioactive and yes......snow can be radioactive.....IF it were contaminated by high radiation.

These links will explain wavelengths and "energy density"(or frequency)......once you understand and master this concept you open a "window" into being able to understand MANY scientific concepts....which are all tied into electromagnetic wavelengthths.

The higher the frequency.......the shorter the wavelength.....over a given distance........hence more energetic......think X-Rays.

The lower the frequency.......the longer the wavelength.....over the same given distance....hence less energetic......think Radio signals.

It's simply the amount of energy packed into a given amount of space.

Starting at the longest wavelengths and moving to the shortest wavelengths: Radio then Microwave then Infrared then Visible Light then UltraViolet then X-Rays then Gamma Rays>>>>>>

This is also how different types of Space Telescopes "see" the Universe differently by looking at different wavelengths.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...telescopes.jpg

Electromagnetic spectrum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ionizing radiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:EM Spectrum Properties edit.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Electromagnetic Spectrum Chart

IF you have any more questions I'd be glad to help you understand this concept better....I like helping people and I reinforce and add to my knowledge base by helping others.
Thanks for the info...tried giving you a rep point, but was told to 'spread rep around'...oh well...

Thanks for the info...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology