Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 07:12 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Pittston2Sarasota, I wonder if you know about this blog: Georneys. It occurs to me you may like it and if you go there, you'll see that Evelyn has posted 20 interviews about Japan's crisis with her dad who is a nuclear engineer. The Dad Interviews are listed in the right side bar.
No Macrina........I am not familar with that blog........thankyou for the link to it......

AP IMPACT: Asia nuclear reactors face tsunami risk | Science Headlines | Comcast.net (http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-science/20110418/AS.Nuclear.Tsunami.Risk/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 05:57 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
No Macrina........I am not familar with that blog........thankyou for the link to it......

AP IMPACT: Asia nuclear reactors face tsunami risk | Science Headlines | Comcast.net (http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-science/20110418/AS.Nuclear.Tsunami.Risk/ - broken link)

I respect you PITTSTON2SARASOTA so so much...your so kind...you remind me of the 'science man' on TV...so patiently explaining things...

But I think a better solution to nuclear energy would be to mandate all new homes be equipted with solar panels and a windmill...

I think large nuclear plants only benifit the companies who sell the electricity to the public...

I think every home could be energy self effeciant...and should be...

But to do so would rob the large energy companies of lot's of revenue...

So instead we're told we need these large plants or else...

And again...I respect your love or facination with nuclear energy...I just think there's other alternatives...

Old 04-20-2011, 01:03 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I respect you PITTSTON2SARASOTA so so much...your so kind...you remind me of the 'science man' on TV...so patiently explaining things...

But I think a better solution to nuclear energy would be to mandate all new homes be equipted with solar panels and a windmill...

I think large nuclear plants only benifit the companies who sell the electricity to the public...

And again...I respect your love or facination with nuclear energy...I just think there's other alternatives...
I wish that we could have a distributed grid where everyone makes their own power from green energy, like you envision. However, incident solar radiation and wind power isn't going to cut it for your home needs. Take the unincorporated Florida keys for example. Many days of MUCH more intense sunlight than the majority of the country, much better weather than most of the country in terms of heating costs, yet even solar-equipped homes there can't generate enough power to run their household applicances--to say nothing of A/C, heat, Electric cars, or any of the real power hogs of modern living. Thus they are bringing in utility cables to pull power from gas-fired plants.

We would need a 10-fold improvement in efficiency AND in energy capture. Thin-film solar conversion rates are below 10% and heavier equipment never beats 20%. Even if you could build a loss-less furnace or A/C (or vacuum cleaner for that matter) you simply can't extract the power you need to run your house from on-site solar and wind. To say nothing of apartment buildings or cities. Cities do an excellent job of improving the efficiency of supporting human life through mass transit/transport and the concentration of waste treatment/disposal; so we can't spread everyone out with their own little farm and solar cell without devastating the environment.

We should coat every roof in solar panels (or maybe solar water heaters, since they're more efficient) and, dam every river, and install wind turbines in every empty field. These are "cheap" (and will become more so at scale) and efficient sources of power. I would sooner see huge fields of wind turbines than a new nuke plant. However, nuke/coal/oil/gas are necessary evils for the foreseeable future. Nuke is simply the lesser (evil) of all of them.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:

Sponger explained it very well.....it's just not feasible and not consistent. However I believe where applicable it can be used. Remember there are already huge tax rebates in place to make your house more energy efficient; however the payback time can take decades and many people do not have the tens of thousands of dollars of money upfront to install these technologies during initial construction.

I just love Science....especially Fusion Power....Space/Cosmology...Physics etc......I'm nerdy/geeky.....I have a passion for it and enjoy educating other people....my little eyes light up.....ROFL....

I'm preparing a post on a safer nuclear reactor design with passive cool down features and another fusion/fission hybrid reactor which can dispose of most of our planet's spent nuclear fuel while also generating electricity safely. Stay tuned. .

Old 04-22-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Sponger explained it very well.....it's just not feasible and not consistent. However I believe where applicable it can be used. Remember there are already huge tax rebates in place to make your house more energy efficient; however the payback time can take decades and many people do not have the tens of thousands of dollars of money upfront to install these technologies during initial construction.

I just love Science....especially Fusion Power....Space/Cosmology...Physics etc......I'm nerdy/geeky.....I have a passion for it and enjoy educating other people....my little eyes light up.....ROFL....

I'm preparing a post on a safer nuclear reactor design with passive cool down features and another fusion/fission hybrid reactor which can dispose of most of our planet's spent nuclear fuel while also generating electricity safely. Stay tuned. .
Your excitement is contagious...if your excited about it, than so am I...

Old 04-22-2011, 10:15 PM

The AP 1000 reactors are the first new generation of Nuclear Reactors to be built in nearly 3 decades. Two reactors will be built Georgia along with 12 more in other locations........along with 6 others of various passive safety designs. The safety cooling systems can function without human intervention and without electricity.

AP1000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.westinghousenuclear.com/d...0_brochure.pdf

Westinghouse AP1000

Products

NRC: Transmittal of Revision 14 to AP1000 Design Certification Documents.

http://www.nirs.org/reactorwatch/new...1000_11011.pdf

Category:Nuclear power stations using AP1000 reactors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Westinghouse AP1000 (R): Simply Electric (TM)

YouTube - Westinghouse AP1000

YouTube - ACR-1000: Innovative design features

I'll post on the Fusion/Fission Hybrid Reactor design in my next post.......they are inherently safe because the fission reaction is only iniated after a fusion pulse and fission essentially stops without the fusion input.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:22 PM

Fusion/Fission Hybrid Reactors:

In this type of reactor the fusion events eliminate the need for a sustained nuclear chain reaction; this increases it's safety by many orders of magnitude.

This broadens the fuel the reactor can "burn" to include: unenriched Uranium, depleted Uranium, or even spent nuclear fuel from current reactors.

Also current designs "burn" at best a few percent of the nuclear fuel....this design can "burn" up to 90% requiring only one-twentieth the same amount of fuel for a given amount of generated power.

Instead of producing 2,500 kilograms of nuclear waste over a 50 year plant lifetime, this design produces only 100 kilograms and as mentioned can burn most of the waste from current reactor designs as fuel.

Nuclear fusion-fission hybrid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nuclear Fusion-fission Hybrid Could Contribute To Carbon-free Energy Future

http://courses.engr.illinois.edu/npr...%20hybrids.pdf

Nuclear Fusion-Fission Hybrid Could Destroy Nuclear Waste and Contribute to Carbon-Free Energy Future | The University of Texas at Austin

FuturePundit: Nuclear Fusion Fission Hybrid Reactor To Destroy Waste

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Meeting...8/ft_p3-21.pdf

http://web.mit.edu/fusion-fission/Hy...hop_Stacey.pdf

Fusion-Fission Hybrid Reactor: Getting Rid of 99% Nuclear Waste Cleanly | Nuclear Power

Hybrid fusion-fission reactors to run on nuclear 'sludge' ? The Register

Nuclear fusion-fission hybrid could contribute to carbon-free energy future

YouTube - Fission and Fusion

YouTube - Nuclear Fusion

YouTube - Fission and Fusion

Old 04-23-2011, 09:29 PM

For you, and only for you...I did some research on my own, to better understand this new 'fission-fusion' concept...

And the best way I can break it down in lay mans terms is..to compare it with a 'turbo'...on a car or diesel engine...

And the same way turbos make use of the exhaust...which would be waste anyways...

This fission fusion process does the same with nuclear waste...it makes more efficient use of 'whatever'...

Interesting...

Old 04-26-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
For you, and only for you...I did some research on my own, to better understand this new 'fission-fusion' concept...

And the best way I can break it down in lay mans terms is..to compare it with a 'turbo'...on a car or diesel engine...

And the same way turbos make use of the exhaust...which would be waste anyways...

This fission fusion process does the same with nuclear waste...it makes more efficient use of 'whatever'...

Interesting...

That's a fairly accurate layman's analogy......in some ways....it gets the point across.

Also remember that the fuel for Fusion/Fission reactors is of such low "quality" that it's nearly impossible to enrich it to the point of being used in nuclear weapons eliminating concerns of fuel being stolen and/or diverted for weapon's production.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:21 PM

Fukushima Meltdown May Mean Tighter Rules for Spent Nuclear Fuel in U.S.: Scientific American

Steel Rainbow: Metal Arch Ready to Seal Chernobyl Reactor: Scientific American
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology