U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:32 AM

10,715 posts, read 22,325,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
I always find sites like these interesting in how they describe human knowledge/understanding reaching "Godlike" levels, and reaching the point where we can create "Androids physically indistinguishable from real humans", yet refusing to believe that we could have been created. We are already on the verge (if we haven't done so already) of creating human organs, what is to stop us from creating human beings one day? Humanists believe we will one day create AI that will surpass, our current intellect, so if we implant that in the bodies we have created, that can sustain immortality, how is that much different than what the bible says God did? Created beings that resembled Him, and were originally intended to live forever. I can see it now, we create AI, AI rebels against us, then declares that it was never created, and finds a scientific explanation as to how it could have simply evolved without any human input whatsoever.
as an atheist there is no "god(s)" but we alreadt in theroy, can create a gentically superior human. By with genetic engineering to elimiate the negative human traits and increase the positive ones but ethics prevent it.

we use it today in animals and been applied in numerous fields including research, biotechnology, and medicine. First generation crops have been commercialized and most provide protection from insects and/or resistance to herbicides .

There are also fungal and virus resistant crops developed . They have been developed to make the insect and weed management of crops easier and can indirectly increase crop yield. so we already consume food products that are man made genetically modified crops from stuff like wheat to be superior all around to regular natural old production methods so less herbicides/pesticides are needed making the genetically modified crops superior in many ways to the natural un-moddified version. also Some agriculturally important animals Ccows and chickens) have been genetically modified with growth hormones to increase their size.

Genetic engineering is also being used to create novelty items such as blue roses and glowing fish.

it is Genetic engineering is alreadyhere and is going on as we speak and we use it's benfits in our daily lifes and it is not going anywhere it is the future as I belive organized religion will strat a steep decline during this century.
Genetic enhancement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 10:58 AM

26,889 posts, read 38,133,169 times
I thought I had slipped into the religion forum and had to check the heading. Whew! I never go there. Well rarely. It's a bit too crazy in there for my taste.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:22 AM

741 posts, read 1,024,867 times
Crap, just skipped to the end of the timeline and became extremely depressed!

Old 04-10-2011, 11:22 PM

40 posts, read 76,648 times
Default Glimpse into the future

Man, that site is super-interesting. I could spend hours reading through it.

And some of it really seems feasible if you consider at one point they thought it was "impossible" that a phone could work without a cord, much less be carried anywhere in the world.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:34 PM

79 posts, read 109,996 times
I just took the liberty to read the ENTIRE website, and after 5 hours I will have to say it's mostly bull****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology