U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 05:00 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,040,599 times

Advertisements

I've always been fascinated with spiders since I was a child.....the bigger the better. I kept many as "pets" in jars, on our front porch; much to my Mother's terror and dismay.

I was watching a special the other night on television, when I witnessed this battle caught on tape between a tarantula and a venemous pit viper.....I was able to find the video on YouTube.

Here is some information about both species and 2 videos of the same battle between them. Keep in mind this snake can kill a human being with one bite and is considered to be one of the deadliest vipers on the planet.

This is NOT for the squeamish; nor for anyone afraid of spiders and/or snakes....since you will get to see both in mortal combat!

Lasiodora parahybana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tarantula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brazilian Salmon Pink Tarantula Lasiodora parahybana

Bothrops atrox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bothrops asper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fer-de-lance

YouTube - Tarantula vs Snake- Great Fight!

YouTube - Goliath Tarantula vs Snake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 05:35 PM

26,890 posts, read 38,133,169 times
Did you type that thread title with a straight face? Fascinating subject...

Old 03-30-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Did you type that thread title with a straight face? Fascinating subject...
Honestly......NO.....ROFL....but that's really the spider's "generic" name(and I thought of changing the title).......I was quite astounded that the tarantula won the fight so easily.........

There is a new TV show that pits two monster bugs against one another.....with 3 to 4 segments/battles per episode....yes it fascinates me. .

The show is called: Monster Bug Wars......on The Science Channel and possibly The Discovery Channel as well>>>>>>

YouTube - Monster Bug Wars- Redback Spider

YouTube - Monster Bug Wars- Spider vs. Ant

YouTube - Monster Bug Wars- Mantis Battle

YouTube - Monster Bug Wars- Giant Rainforest Mantis

The sound effects are kinda "cheesy"; but otherwise it's well done and scientists weigh in on each bug's strengths and weaknesses.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:17 AM

15,924 posts, read 16,850,438 times
Interesting Pitt....

But the title, how long did it take you to key in?

I had to reread it a couple of times before it registered.... Must be getting either slow or senile.....

Old 03-31-2011, 08:41 AM

8,268 posts, read 10,374,989 times
There are tons of these here:

Japanese Bug Fights .com

Even cheesier as only the Japanese can do, but they've got great competitors giant hornets, centipedes, mantis, scorpions, camel spiders, etc. they even break out a crawfish for one round.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:50 AM

23,877 posts, read 17,577,017 times
i used to raise salmon pinks, but always sold them before they got their full growth in

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

Japanese Bug Fights .com

Even cheesier as only the Japanese can do, but they've got great competitors giant hornets, centipedes, mantis, scorpions, camel spiders, etc. they even break out a crawfish for one round.
the japanese are also into stag-beetle fighting. i wonder if that was the inspiration for sumo wrestling?

YouTube - Stag beetle vs Stag beetle

Old 03-31-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Interesting Pitt....

But the title, how long did it take you to key in?

I had to reread it a couple of times before it registered.... Must be getting either slow or senile.....
ROFL........I had to take my time typing it and I kept thinking it was some new "pastel" color scheme like "tawny sunset" or some similar crap......but when I googled the tarantula species I found the exact match; so I figured I'd go with it since some entomologist obviously took plenty of time dreaming up that name. I myself see no correlation between the spider and the color scheme but maybe the scientist was redecorating the house or something?

Ferocious furry freakin spider works better for me.........LOL.......even as I read it now.....I laugh at all the connotations of the rather lengthy name. But that's one tarantula I sure as heck don't want to mess with!

Old 03-31-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

Japanese Bug Fights .com

THANX for the link.......I've seen one where vicious hornets attack a honeybee hive......the hornets "face" even looks mean as all heck! Camel spiders are fascinating as well......it seems there is little information about them.

Solifugae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Camel Spider

Old 04-03-2011, 11:06 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Would somebody please diagram the sentence used as the headline to this thread.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:07 PM

YouTube - Monster Bug Wars- Cellar Spider Vs. White-Tailed Spider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology