U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 958 times

Advertisements

i as a lefty have always heard that lefties have good memory and their right sides of the brain is more dominant and about creativeness and stuff like that and i certainly believe in that we are certainly one of a kind !! the difference b/w me and my dads IQ level is just by one number and i am a bright student too i haven't done any research on your question but personally i think that that's a benefit but were you born as an ambidextrous ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 09:45 AM

19,865 posts, read 18,368,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aisha hamza View Post
i as a lefty have always heard that lefties have good memory and their right sides of the brain is more dominant and about creativeness and stuff like that and i certainly believe in that we are certainly one of a kind !! the difference b/w me and my dads IQ level is just by one number and i am a bright student too i haven't done any research on your question but personally i think that that's a benefit but were you born as an ambidextrous ?
Yes, I suppose I was born ambidextrous. When I grew up I was taught to write using my right hand, though. But I always liked my left hand better so to speak, it feels more directly connected to my brain. It is also much more precise, which is why I use it for the mouse. Hitting a thin line in a graphics program with my right hand is like playing the lottery

Old 03-16-2012, 02:40 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,189,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes, I suppose I was born ambidextrous. When I grew up I was taught to write using my right hand, though. But I always liked my left hand better so to speak, it feels more directly connected to my brain. It is also much more precise, which is why I use it for the mouse. Hitting a thin line in a graphics program with my right hand is like playing the lottery
I don't know what I would be considered. I write with my left hand, hold my fork with my left hand, hold cups, mugs, etc, with my left hand but I better manipulate non-writing and eating products with my right hand, throw right-handed, and prefer my right arm when it comes to lifting. is that being ambidextrous?

Old 03-16-2012, 03:04 PM

5,199 posts, read 10,521,937 times
Fold your hands (intertwine your fingers).

If you are *right handed* which thumb is on top ?
If you are *left handed* which thumb is on top.

Now, on purpose, reverse your fingers intertwining, and tell us what you feel ??
Me ? It feels like I am not holding my own hands ...

BTW, I am *ambidextrous*, can play piano, can use tools with either hand, and can do many things with my hands other people just can not do easily or not at all.
For instance, (hard to explain, but I'll try), hold your hands at mid-rif height of your body hands pointed forward, elbows at 90 degrees. Now stick out your index fingers, and point them towards each other.

Now turn your right hand *forward* in a circling motion, like simulating a wheel turning forward.
Then do the same thing with your left but in the other direction (wheel turning backward).
Do this at the same time.
There are many motions like that which are normally a bit hard to do for the average person. I however, can do those easily. No idea why ...

BTW, if you make circling motions sideways in different directions (index fingers pointed forward), it is easy !?!?

I can only write with my right hand, and I have the worst handwriting you have ever seen, even with my right hand nobody can read it ... so I only write in caps/block letters !

I am an Aerospace Engineer and did that for 40 years (right handed ?), but later in life after retirement, I learned how to paint (artistic stuff, not the house painting kind) and I am told I am not half bad ...

OK, I am just weird ...

Old 03-16-2012, 08:37 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,785,511 times
I am right handed, while my sister was left handed. I wonder why that happens. Luck of the draw?

Old 03-16-2012, 09:19 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,521,483 times
Our entire IT department (6 people) are all left handed. We didn't notice till last Christmas when we were signing our checks at a little departmental luncheon thing. We all use our mice like they're supposed to be used, on the right side of the keyboard.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:03 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,321,611 times
Lefty here. I am definitely very creative. I always have to create something, whether that be a drawing, music, anything really. I am more an arts person than a science person, more of a visual thinker, tend to be intuitive, philosophical with my 'head in the clouds' more often than not.

I do most things with my left hand: except hold a knife, a mouse.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:54 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,558,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Were you forced to use your right hand when you grew up, like for writing? I have heard people say that this messes up the brain. But it was a common practice back when being left-handed was still considered an embarrassment.
This happened to me.

I was apparently born a "leftie" (as family members have reminded and attested to) and corrected to do things right-handed "for convenience".

The thing is, this happened at a really young age (right as I learned to write or possibly earlier etc.) so I could have been 3, 4 or 5 or something in age when it happened (no memory).

As of now, I am pretty much right-handed (I can't use left hand).

I have no idea if that has done anything to me. I hope not!

Old 03-17-2012, 03:39 PM

27,015 posts, read 38,276,182 times
One of the best things I remember a teacher doing when I went to grade school was telling the left-handed kids to tip their writing paper in the opposite direction from the righties.

/

instead of

\

Oh. almost forget - rightie here, but I swing a baseball bat better left-handed. There are also some fine movement things I do better left-handed.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:03 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,189,712 times
My parents both right handed. My older sister right handed. Older brother left handed. I'm left handed.

I work in an office of 5 people. I'm a geologist/GIS, the other four are archaeologists. Three of us are left handed.

I work on a computer most of the day doing graphics type work. I use a cordless mouse and have two mousepads, and switch back and forth left and right with the mouse all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology