U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 05:45 PM

5,162 posts, read 10,475,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
In German we say that someone "has two left hands" when he or she doesn't know how to do anything right
In English ... all thumbs !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 08:37 AM

10,813 posts, read 12,855,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Being a translator I know many people typing for a living, but hardly any of them uses the number pad keys. I am sure they could put something more important in the additional space of new notebooks with huge displays. I guess it is mostly people in the financial services industry that still use the number pad keys.
I have to stand up for the NumPad.
"Normal" people don't use the calculator ever on a computer? No... they just AREN'T AWARE how easy it is to use the numpad because they never really use it. I see this a lot myself: someone types a number in and they frequently will go hunting across that top row of keys instead of the nice and easier to use NumPad.
Force yourself to use it and you will love it.

I have one of thos mondo laptops with a keypad. There is a hotkey on my keyboard that brings up the Windows Calculator. It is so convenient for that 2% of the time I need a calculator. And the keyboard is already big and comfy so it doesn't need to be any bigger.

*Paid for by the association to not let numpads become extinct*

Old 03-22-2012, 08:46 AM

19,865 posts, read 18,312,135 times
Well, maybe I would use it as well, but when I learned how to type with 10 fingers the number keys at the top were included, so for me it is faster to use those than to move my hand over to the right side.
I don't mind there being a number pad, however I think there should be keyboards for left-handed people as well, where it is located on the left side.
On the other hand, since I never use mine anyway, I actually welcome that it located on the right side as I use my mouse with the left hand right next to my keyboard. So the letter key pad is in the middle of the table so to speak.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:43 AM

358 posts, read 711,086 times
I'm left handed, and work in statistics, and 3/4 of the members on our team are left-handed. The percentage in our office of lefties (of abt 60 ppl) is much higher than the 10% average.

Edit, as for the calculator thing, I use my right hand for the mouse/number pad, but I'll use either for a calculator, though I'm more comfortable using my left-hand. I'm left-handed for everything, however I've grown so accustomed to using the mouse with my right hand that attempting to use my left reminds me of learning to walk, lol. And I couldn't use the numberpad with my left-hand without it being backwards, on the left-side of the keyboard, and with some practice. Though it would be nice.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:07 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,122,907 times
An interesting phenomenon happens with lefties vs righties. At any given time, one of the hemisphere of the brain has a significant portion of brain activity over the other hemisphere. We often say things like "lefties are more creative" while "righties have a better sense of direction", etc. But this is based on flawed measurement of those activities.

The left-handed individual is able to pick up a pencil and show his/her creativity on paper because the hemisphere to control the left hand is the same hemisphere which incorporates memory and imagination. If a righty were to put their pencil in their left hand, they would be just as creative but unable to effectively get it on paper. With the pencil in their right hand, they can effectively command the pencil, but are unable to think creatively.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faipsegap View Post
Timberland,Timberland Boots,Timeberland shoes with 100% assure attribute and cost-free shipping.Enjoy stunted prce with 50% off.
ƒ†‚ƒƒƒƒƒƒ‰
ƒ†‚ƒƒƒƒƒƒ‰ƒ–ƒƒ„
ƒ†‚ƒƒƒƒƒƒ‰靴
There is a place for everything, but this is definitely not it.
Those links look suspicious, please nobody click on them.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:34 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,509,851 times
I recently found out that I fire hand guns like a right-handed person, and my right eye is my dominant one.

Let's see..

I golf left handed
I throw left handed
I play baseball left handed (catch and bat lefty)
I write left handed
I eat left handed
I bowl left handed

I shoot hand guns, rifles and bows/arrows right handed
I use keyboard and mouse right handed (keyboard left, mouse right)
I'm right-eye dominant
My wallet is on the right ass-cheek
I usually hold my cell phone with my right hand
I'm very very bad at writing with my right hand
I'm very very bad at throwing with my right hand.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:01 PM

9,995 posts, read 11,233,775 times
Lefty. I have always been pretty strongly left handed in most things, but I do play guitar right handed, and use right handed scissors.

As an environmental scientist, and ENFP personality, I am always surprised at how much I enjoy the big picture and the inductive leaps of science. I was never a very organized and systematic student, but I could ace the exams, usually by working with a more diligent student, connecting the dots, and improvising. I recall acing a hydrogeology exam in grad school with pure intuition. I could not begin to do all the math to solve the problem, but I knew the answer immediately. Just a very strong hunch.

Since, I have done pretty well with theoretical and conceptual papers, using my intuition and strong content memory to guide my choice of analyses and literature reviews and syntheses. However, midcareer, I have learned I have substantial limitations. The downside is I am not nearly so organized, systematic, and detail oriented as many of my colleagues, and I abhor such essential tasks as filing, data management, and proofreading. I am temperamentally ill-suited to single-minded experimental lab work, as my mind must rove like a wolf around a topic, and I am too gregarious to focus and a single enzyme for 3 years. I do have tenacity though, even if I am often inefficient in between the "a ha" insight moments.

I have noticed a number of eminent scientists are also lefties. People like Einstein, Curie, and here in Oregon Linus Pauling and a fair number of others of my acquaintance. Kind of interesting.

So, the left handed way of mind, if you want to call it that, seems to come with substantial positives and negatives in my personal experience.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:33 AM

Since you mention the guitar. When I got my bass I did not know whether to buy a normal or a lefty version. First I thought of course I should get a lefty version, but I decided to buy a normal bass because my left hand is more precise and simply stronger - muscle power is important with the bass as it takes quite some power to hold the strings down. And it made me wonder if most people wouldn't be better off buying a bass made for the side they are not

Old 04-10-2012, 06:40 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,226,978 times
I can’t prove anything with my anecdote, but I thought it’s worth noting OP, that I am predominantly left-handed (though ambidextrous in some of the activities I do) and I play two instruments, sing, and have a really good memory for phone numbers and addresses. I can usually remember about 7 phone numbers at any given time. I don’t know how much of both are a function of disability though. Being blind, I have to use both of my hands for many things (reading braille, typing as opposed to writing), and I have to use my memory much more often than the average person (to remember where I set the cup on the table, how to get around). I’ve always been a super creative person though. I’ve been writing songs since I was 9. Not sure if it’s all connected, and if so, how. Luckily I’m not addicted to any illegal substances but I do have my list of addictions! Chocolate, coffee, gum, and CD forums! Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology