U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:15 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,312,135 times

Advertisements

Searched the board for 'left-handed', but gave up after 5 pages of results...

I have heard interesting facts on the left-handed over the years, like that they are clearly overrepresented among artists and what are generally considered geniuses and leaders, but also among prison inmates.
Recently there was a documentary on people with incredible memories. They can tell you what the weather was like on any day decades ago as if it was yesterday. They can tell you what they did and wore at any time of any day since age 10 or so. They did MRI scans of their brains and found out that there is a little section deep inside the brain that is about 8x larger compared to people with normal memory capabilities. They also found that an unusually high percentage of them is left-handed.

Are the left-handed an improvement in the framework of evolution? Is their percentage increasing or decreasing?
Are there other striking aspects of the left-handed?

What about the ambidextrous? (I am one of those myself and have often wondered what that means regarding my brain. Is it a benefit or does it screw up the brain?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 02:37 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
Sounds like left handed people need to go to counseling or therapy or look into medication.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:23 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,122,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Sounds like left handed people need to go to counseling or therapy or look into medication.
now that's just silly

Old 04-04-2011, 09:22 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,259,695 times
Left-handed people primarily use the right side of their brain, and thus have a tendency to be creative rather than analytical, spontaneous rather than pragmatic, and intuitive rather than logic-based.
It's been a known fact for a long time now that the percentage of lefties in all fields of the arts--including music, acting, and writing--far exceeds the pecentage in society as a whole. For example, did you know that fully 60% of all SAG card holders (screen actors' guild) are left-handed? Start paying attention to which hand actors use the next time you watch a movie or TV show and you'll begin to get a glimpse of this amazing stat.
Alas, being a lefty also has its drawbacks. It's been reckoned that almost half of all alcoholics and drug addicts are left-handed too. I myself am lefthanded, and a recovering alcoholic (seven years sober) and I began to notice this back when I used to go to to AA meetings. LOL. I thought, "wtf?" All these guys holding their coffee with their left hands!) I then did some research and found it was not just my imagination.
Lastly: most neurologists and psychologists say that alot of lefties become more proficient with their right hands as they get older. So much so that by the time they're in their 60's or so they are almost fully ambidextrous! (I'm in my 40's and, although once a pure lefty, can now write about as well with either hand.) This is probably due to the fact that us lefties spend our lives in a right-handed world, and so we simply slwly adapt to it after time.
And of course: the old saying we lefties have is true: Left-handed people are the only ones in their "right" mninds! LOL.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:34 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,765,860 times
Personality type may have something to do with creativity. INFP for example, may be a lot more creative and idea-oriented than a person on the opposite end of the spectrum -- and ESTJ for example.

My sister and I are both INFPs, but she's a lefty and I'm a righty... Figure that one out.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:15 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

What about the ambidextrous? (I am one of those myself and have often wondered what that means regarding my brain. Is it a benefit or does it screw up the brain?)
I can't think of any reason to think the ambidextrous are any different, brain-wise, than the bilingual.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Personality type may have something to do with creativity. INFP for example, may be a lot more creative and idea-oriented than a person on the opposite end of the spectrum -- and ESTJ for example.

My sister and I are both INFPs, but she's a lefty and I'm a righty... Figure that one out.
Those types are very broadly defined. A friend of mine is extremely extroverted, but at the same her character is more like that of a typical INFP person.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I can't think of any reason to think the ambidextrous are any different, brain-wise, than the bilingual.
I am not sure one can compare those two things. People are not born bilingual, it is simply an acquired capability, whereas really ambidextrous people are born that way.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Left-handed people primarily use the right side of their brain, and thus have a tendency to be creative rather than analytical, spontaneous rather than pragmatic, and intuitive rather than logic-based.
It's been a known fact for a long time now that the percentage of lefties in all fields of the arts--including music, acting, and writing--far exceeds the pecentage in society as a whole. For example, did you know that fully 60% of all SAG card holders (screen actors' guild) are left-handed? Start paying attention to which hand actors use the next time you watch a movie or TV show and you'll begin to get a glimpse of this amazing stat.
Alas, being a lefty also has its drawbacks. It's been reckoned that almost half of all alcoholics and drug addicts are left-handed too. I myself am lefthanded, and a recovering alcoholic (seven years sober) and I began to notice this back when I used to go to to AA meetings. LOL. I thought, "wtf?" All these guys holding their coffee with their left hands!) I then did some research and found it was not just my imagination.
Lastly: most neurologists and psychologists say that alot of lefties become more proficient with their right hands as they get older. So much so that by the time they're in their 60's or so they are almost fully ambidextrous! (I'm in my 40's and, although once a pure lefty, can now write about as well with either hand.) This is probably due to the fact that us lefties spend our lives in a right-handed world, and so we simply slwly adapt to it after time.
And of course: the old saying we lefties have is true: Left-handed people are the only ones in their "right" mninds! LOL.
Were you forced to use your right hand when you grew up, like for writing? I have heard people say that this messes up the brain. But it was a common practice back when being left-handed was still considered an embarrassment.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:31 AM

5,070 posts, read 8,765,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Those types are very broadly defined. A friend of mine is extremely extroverted, but at the same her character is more like that of a typical INFP person.
An INFP can be what they call, "socialized in one or more areas" That, by itself, doesn't mean much unless you know how it's defined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology