U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2011, 09:42 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,552,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftFn View Post
please see again first post, and THINK, really try to THINK and answer - if there is no overpopulation then tell me why Cleveland is looking so much better than New York ?
Cleveland is better/nicer than NYC? Really? Have you ever been to either one? No offense to any chicks with crimson lips, but Cleveland sucks. At least compared to one of the largest most influential and affluent cities on Earth.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 01:53 PM

12,904 posts, read 18,471,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftFn View Post
I have found this text on some forum, it is so interesting that I have decided to cite it here:

"
Overpopulation is a fact, overpopulated areas look like slum, famous example: New York – Newark (40 millions inhabitants) Metropolis – other examples from US: Chicago and Los Angeles. Normal cities are like Cleveland, Phoenix etc. normal are also towns.
Example from beyond of US: Silesia (including Cracow and Wroclaw), Poland – in Europe and Asia such areas is much much more but I would have to have much more money to explore all of them, so I have to leave it for people and scientists which are living there and can see it themselves or for people and scientists which are traveling many.
Normal city should have from couple hundreds thousands of inhabitants to maximum two millions and as a metro to couple millions. Amount of population should stop at level 2,8 billions (in Europe milliards) people in 50’s.
Overpopulation makes gradually for serious biological degradation of inhabitants of overpopulated areas, it is very good seen in Silesia, Poland – but such regions in Euroasia and on other continents is much more.
"
and what do you think ?
We've already overwhelmed nature's ability to maintain the balance and allow flourishing biodiversity, but reaching the point where the world will be physically unable to support us is a whole other matter entirely.

It is not necessarily responsible to drive other species to extinction so there can be more of us, but that is exactly what we are doing. I suspect the world can (and will) ultimately support at least twice (maybe three times, if we farm seaweed and live on/under the ocean) as many people as there are now until we just cannot physically put enough food in people's mouths to keep them all alive. The only other animal wildlife will probably be insects, rats and pigeons, though.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:54 PM

39 posts, read 33,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper
Most of the square footage of the USA is rural, 10 people per square-mile or less.
because overpopulation in your country for know concern only some areas - in future it will change, and overpopulation will include most of the country
but for example in Europe and Asia this problem has catastrophic size

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT
At least compared to one of the largest most influential and affluent cities on Earth
ha, ha, one of the greatest slum in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT
Cleveland is better/nicer than NYC? Really? Have you ever been to either one?
yes, I have a family in North Arlington NJ, and I have seen hundreds of places in US from smallest towns to greatest cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango
but reaching the point where the world will be physically unable to support us is a whole other matter entirely
but first post doesn't say about it

Last edited by ShiftFn; 04-08-2011 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: add answer for Chango

Old 04-08-2011, 02:17 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,868,606 times
Nature takes care of overpopulation.

I'd like the OP to cite where he/she/it found statistics showing NYC/Chicago to be a slum...

Compared to cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Karachi and Mumbai......

Old 04-08-2011, 02:34 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,638,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Cleveland is better/nicer than NYC? Really? Have you ever been to either one? No offense to any chicks with crimson lips, but Cleveland sucks. At least compared to one of the largest most influential and affluent cities on Earth.
Cleveland metro area, compared to New York. has more square feet of housing per capita, more people in homes with yards and gardens, fewer homeless people. Living there is more affordable in terms of the median family income. In addition to being a better quality of family life, it looks less like a slum.

Who, in Cleveland, would want to go to New York, and be one of the 20-million people who live within a stone's throw of a coupe hundred of the "most influential and affluent" people on earth? How would that improve their lifestyle? Would it make my city a better place, if Donald Trump and all his influence and affluence moved to Victoria, Texas?

Old 04-08-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit
Nature takes care of overpopulation.
your faith in Nature is exaggerated

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit
I'd like the OP to cite where he/she/it found statistics showing NYC/Chicago to be a slum...

Compared to cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Karachi and Mumbai......
don't have to because cities like Beijing, Shanghai... are also slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88
Cleveland metro area, compared to New York. has more square feet of housing per capita, more people in homes with yards and gardens, fewer homeless people. Living there is more affordable in terms of the median family income. In addition to being a better quality of family life, it looks less like a slum.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:43 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,167,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Who, in Cleveland, would want to go to New York, and be one of the 20-million people who live within a stone's throw of a coupe hundred of the "most influential and affluent" people on earth? How would that improve their lifestyle? Would it make my city a better place, if Donald Trump and all his influence and affluence moved to Victoria, Texas?
NYC affords you a certain lifestyle that you cannot get in Cleveland. The beauty of NYC is that it's salaries are much higher than it's (already high) cost of living. I know that if I were to do what I do in Cleveland, I'd have to probably take 1/3rd salary and my bonuses would probably be small (love wallstreet bonuses). It's one of the few places where everyone gets paid the same as Drs.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest
NYC affords you a certain lifestyle that you cannot get in Cleveland. The beauty of NYC...
You are blind

Old 04-11-2011, 11:27 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,638,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
NYC affords you a certain lifestyle that you cannot get in Cleveland. The beauty of NYC is that it's salaries are much higher than it's (already high) cost of living. I know that if I were to do what I do in Cleveland, I'd have to probably take 1/3rd salary and my bonuses would probably be small (love wallstreet bonuses). It's one of the few places where everyone gets paid the same as Drs.
What does that have to do with whether either city is overpopulated, or looks like a slum, or sucks? If Wall Street were moved to Cleveland, and YOU could move to Cleveland and make your same salary and bonuses, would Cleveland still suck?

How much does the counter staff at McDonalds make in NYC? Three times as much as in Cleveland? The same as doctors? How much "lifestyle" can be afforded in NYC by the counter staff at McDonalds?

Here's the answer:
http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/McDo...1,24_IM615.htm
National average for McDonalds cashier = $7.01
New York City average for McDonalds cashier = $7.27.
Whoopee.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:39 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,552,424 times
Oh, so we are basically saying slum = skyscrapers. FWIW, I think Cleveland is more "slum" than NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology