U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 01:31 PM

39 posts, read 33,630 times

Advertisements

I have found this text on some forum, it is so interesting that I have decided to cite it here:

"
Overpopulation is a fact, overpopulated areas look like slum, famous example: New York – Newark (40 millions inhabitants) Metropolis – other examples from US: Chicago and Los Angeles. Normal cities are like Cleveland, Phoenix etc. normal are also towns.
Example from beyond of US: Silesia (including Cracow and Wroclaw), Poland – in Europe and Asia such areas is much much more but I would have to have much more money to explore all of them, so I have to leave it for people and scientists which are living there and can see it themselves or for people and scientists which are traveling many.
Normal city should have from couple hundreds thousands of inhabitants to maximum two millions and as a metro to couple millions. Amount of population should stop at level 2,8 billions (in Europe milliards) people in 50’s.
Overpopulation makes gradually for serious biological degradation of inhabitants of overpopulated areas, it is very good seen in Silesia, Poland – but such regions in Euroasia and on other continents is much more.
"
and what do you think ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 05:59 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,557,341 times
I think Global Stupidity is of a bigger concern than Global Overpopulation.

The World is not overpopulated. And if it was, then something natural would happen to cull the population. The problem is that economic disparity is big and we have the modern tech to observe it better. We should not be complaining about the size of the human population but instead we should be focusing on turning the world into a fairer place. Just because someone is black or brown does not mean they could not come up with the cure for diseases or invent material that we would all benefit from.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:10 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,385,816 times
Yikes. ^^^

Nature won't allow us to be over-populated. Disease, war, and famine will keep our numbers in check. (Thomas Malthus)

Old 04-07-2011, 07:05 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,687,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftFn View Post

"
Overpopulation is a fact, overpopulated areas look like slum, famous example: New York – Newark (40 millions inhabitants) Metropolis
New York City looked a hell of a lot worse a century ago, when it had only a tiny fraction of its present population:
http://theshiksa.com/images/2010/06/tenements.jpg

And so did every other city in the world.

As people increase in overall economic affluence, the birth rate declines, and the population of the world will probably level off before it hits 9-billion, and the USA at 400-million. If you've ever been in Hong Kong or Singapore, you have seen how civiized people can live in very high density, without giving up a quality of life.

America's population has doubled since I graduated from high school, and the availability of food for the population has actually increased quite dramatically, in both variety and gross quantity.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:15 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,872,224 times
It doesn't help when one of the largest religions in the world would recommend having more kids to a guy with six kids and who makes $8/hour.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:46 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,190,236 times
Our excessive utilization of natural resources will be a limiting factor before we become overpopulated.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:07 AM

39 posts, read 33,630 times
I will try to be an advocate of cited in first post text - I should also add that author of this short article came from outside of Anglosaxon lingual area

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80
I think Global Stupidity is of a bigger concern than Global Overpopulation
if your name ...boy... and status 'I am failure' has anything to do with this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka
Nature won't allow us to be over-populated
Nature have allowed as to be overpopulated - your faith in Nature is
exaggerated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88
If you've ever been in Hong Kong or Singapore
And have you ever seen Silesia in Poland ? besides I can bet that Hong Kong and Singapore looks like slum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
one of the largest religions ... would recommend having more kids to a guy with six kids

this religion must be very STUPID

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest
Our excessive utilization of natural resources will be a limiting factor before we become overpopulated
I am afraid that not

to all participants of forum and guests - read also this article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/3...eal-issue.html

please see again first post, and THINK, really try to THINK and answer - if there is no overpopulation then tell me why Cleveland is looking so much better than New York ?

Last edited by ShiftFn; 04-08-2011 at 02:34 AM.. Reason: orthography

Old 04-08-2011, 06:42 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,557,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftFn View Post
I will try to be an advocate of cited in first post text - I should also add that author of this short article came from outside of Anglosaxon lingual area

if your name ...boy... and status 'I am failure' has anything to do with this ?

Boy has nothing to do with it. My nickname in the real world is Danny boy. And the failure part has to do with a quantum mechanics class I am taking.

It does not matter who the author is. As he or she leaves out the most vital information. And that is that in many societies where people succeed they have to give the people a chance. In most societies you don't have a chance from the moment you are born. Without that chance there would not be any significant progress in the world.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:18 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,545,233 times
Places are already having a problem managing their water. If we are having a problem feeding and getting drinking water to 6 billion people, how are we going to manage that for 9 billion in the next couple of decades.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:13 AM

29,752 posts, read 47,576,640 times
There is no over-population.

Just because stupid people want to cluster into high-density urban areas, does not equate to over-all over population.

Most of the square footage of the USA is rural, 10 people per square-mile or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology