Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:46 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,477,989 times

Advertisements

I think solar will continue to take on a larger and larger role for one simple fact. You can install solar panels virtually anywhere. I don't think we will be seeing them as a major large scale replacement for traditional energy sources, but they could easily offset a decent percentage of energy use. Look at the average city or industrial park and what do you see? Lot's of flat rooftops. Those are some of the perfect locations to install solar panels. As the technology improves and the cost drops I don't see any reason why people wouldn't want to offset a decent chunk of their energy use with solar.

On top of that, they are even now making solar panel's that are translucent. You can see some of this in the new Prius' sunroof. Imagine a skyscraper using this glass in place of traditional panels. Add on high floor wind turbines (already used in some LEED buildings) and you end up with an office tower that can supply much of its own energy needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 10:52 AM

3,719 posts, read 5,669,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I think solar will continue to take on a larger and larger role for one simple fact. You can install solar panels virtually anywhere. I don't think we will be seeing them as a major large scale replacement for traditional energy sources, but they could easily offset a decent percentage of energy use. Look at the average city or industrial park and what do you see? Lot's of flat rooftops. Those are some of the perfect locations to install solar panels. As the technology improves and the cost drops I don't see any reason why people wouldn't want to offset a decent chunk of their energy use with solar.

On top of that, they are even now making solar panel's that are translucent. You can see some of this in the new Prius' sunroof. Imagine a skyscraper using this glass in place of traditional panels. Add on high floor wind turbines (already used in some LEED buildings) and you end up with an office tower that can supply much of its own energy needs.
Could DIY projects also catch on?

Old 08-09-2011, 12:49 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,591,901 times
there is actually a neighborhood association in my town that is suing a homeowner that put $30k of solar panels on his roof. The guy ignored his neighborhood covenant and just put them up. He later found out that it was against the covenant and wants to keep them. He's paid thousands to put up billboards advertising that they are suing him over it.

Personally, I can see the HOA's point of view--they had it spelled out. If they let him go on this they will have no ability to enforce anything. But it is a shame that he can't keep his panels.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:24 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,710,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
there is actually a neighborhood association in my town that is suing a homeowner that put $30k of solar panels on his roof. The guy ignored his neighborhood covenant and just put them up. He later found out that it was against the covenant and wants to keep them. He's paid thousands to put up billboards advertising that they are suing him over it.

Personally, I can see the HOA's point of view--they had it spelled out. If they let him go on this they will have no ability to enforce anything. But it is a shame that he can't keep his panels.
This is exactly why I had opted out of the nuisance that is HOA when buying the homes I did. I already had plans to go solar when I bought the first house in 2004... and consequently, left HOA where it belongs, worked on a size and price that would work well with the investment and couple of years down the road with the mortgage out of the way... solar energy, here I come!

And speaking of Solar: Japan Eyes Solar Panels on All New Buildings

Japan may finally play with Germany in that area.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:53 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,721,469 times
Solar is not competitive at all and neither is wind with mainline sources of power like nukes, coal, or natural gas. The utilization rates for solar/wind as a % of rated capacity is less than 30% vs the others. And maintenance costs on a per unit of real generation rates are much higher as well. In this alone it is a poor investment choice.

And there is not enough hydro locations left to power a modern society.

Thorium nukes are the way to go in the long run.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:12 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,710,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Solar is not competitive at all and neither is wind with mainline sources of power like nukes, coal, or natural gas. The utilization rates for solar/wind as a % of rated capacity is less than 30% vs the others. And maintenance costs on a per unit of real generation rates are much higher as well. In this alone it is a poor investment choice.

And there is not enough hydro locations left to power a modern society.

Thorium nukes are the way to go in the long run.
But I can think about energy independence with solar power, for the price of an average new car or a 10-15% "discount" on a home here in Dallas area. That is where the true power of solar lies. Germany... gets more energy via solar than did the six nuclear reactors in Japan. Now, Japan is joining the fray. It is also why Japan is considering a solar power mandate on all new buildings.

BTW, Germany is also combining the power of solar energy with hydro, in collaboration with Norway. The latter has room for hydro development, with the dams to serve as the massive battery, to store charge from Germany's solar plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology