Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:36 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,800,355 times

Advertisements

Some more articles from the Discover link.

Neandertals | john hawks weblog

Neandertals are the best known of the ancient humans, the only kind of ancient person in most people's imaginations.
I've worked so much on Neandertals because for some questions they're the only group for whom we have a hope of testing hypotheses. It just happens that we've found more of their bones than any other humans from their era -- a lot more in some cases. The skeletal evidence has emerged over more than 150 years, and today we can add the tremendous and growing store of genetic information from ancient DNA. Put these sources of evidence together, and Neandertals are providing the richest and most interesting scientific problems in paleoanthropology today.

Writer's Daily Grind

This blog is mostly writing-related, my writing in particular. But when the need arises, I'm also going to post prehistoric and medieval stuff, too. That's what my Great Medieval Science Fiction Masterpiece With Neandertals is about, after all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 09:37 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,097,983 times
Discovery Suggests Humans Are a Bit Neanderthal

It’s Official: Some Of You Are Human-Neandertal Hybrid Babies

Old 08-15-2011, 10:01 PM

You could start to like this kid.

We May Soon Be Able to Clone Neanderthals. But Should We? | 80beats | Discover Magazine

Old 08-15-2011, 10:33 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,200,372 times
quote=gy2020;20460520]Curious: Maybe blonde hair and blue eyes was a Neanderthal trait?, considering that Cro Magmon came from Africa and was probably black with dark traits. These traits would make the Neanderthal more appealing and would have sped up our obtaining these features.[/quote]

Actually, it is believed that the gene for red hair originated with Neanderthals. But if you think that all Neanderthals were ugly bruts, think again:

Old 08-15-2011, 10:59 PM

I got to wondering about green eyes. It seems it is polygenetic, but the larger explanation is more complicated.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:03 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,200,372 times
Here is a wiki article about eye color. It looks pretty complex:

Eye color - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-16-2011, 03:28 AM

Another Irish babe, Maureen O'Hara--must be the neandertal gene! Don't forget the Irish temper!

Old 08-16-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Here is a wiki article about eye color. It looks pretty complex:

Eye color - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I read that the color green may not show up for a few years.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:20 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,506,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Brian, the Cavegirl article stated that also, however, most did not think we had much Neanderthal in us. I'm just postulating that that could have been a latent gene from the Neanderthal that made its way back into our gene pool later. A hottie Neanderthal would have encouraged the dark skin Cro Magnon to pair. Not really serious, just having some fun!!
Gy

where do you get your info about cro-mags being dark skin? (how dark?).

They made up the majority of the Aurignacian culture peoples that encompassed all of europe and ukraine estimated 45,000 b.c. - 31,000 b.c. (along with the neanderthals) as they originated above the black sea caucasus region hence the term ''caucasian'' for europeans.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:27 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,506,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Some more articles from the Discover link.

Neandertals | john hawks weblog

Neandertals are the best known of the ancient humans, the only kind of ancient person in most people's imaginations.
I've worked so much on Neandertals because for some questions they're the only group for whom we have a hope of testing hypotheses. It just happens that we've found more of their bones than any other humans from their era -- a lot more in some cases. The skeletal evidence has emerged over more than 150 years, and today we can add the tremendous and growing store of genetic information from ancient DNA. Put these sources of evidence together, and Neandertals are providing the richest and most interesting scientific problems in paleoanthropology today.

Writer's Daily Grind

This blog is mostly writing-related, my writing in particular. But when the need arises, I'm also going to post prehistoric and medieval stuff, too. That's what my Great Medieval Science Fiction Masterpiece With Neandertals is about, after all!
Obviously neanderthals get a bad rap in todays world however they were the ''only'' species of humans to survive in the areas subjugated to the ''last glacial period'' that encompassed most of europe and russia. Noticed that they died out (31,000 b.c.) as those glaciers were retreating back then.

I wouldn't be surprised as the ice continues to melt that in the future we find their bones in antarctica .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology