Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 05:13 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,117 times

Advertisements

I think the ideal scenario would be to live a long healthy enjoyable life and then take a break for a century or so and be re-animated to enjoy another life and so on. I don't think I would want to live forever if I could not take a bread once in a while.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 03:46 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
I thought I would post this here because this is one of the reasons we will live "forever".

The biggest biotech discovery of the century is about to change medicine forever

Read more: https://www.quantamagazine.org/20150...#ixzz3SEYedxSP

Old 02-21-2015, 03:48 PM

This is a good example as to why I will never hit 50 biologically speaking:

Cynthia Kenyon: Experiments that hint of longer lives | Talk Video | TED.com

Old 03-10-2015, 04:31 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,079 times
Google Ventures and the Search for Immortality

Bill Maris has $425 million to invest this year, and the freedom to invest it however he wants. He's looking for companies that will slow aging, reverse disease, and extend life.

“There are a lot of billionaires in Silicon Valley, but in the end, we are all heading to the same place,” Maris says. “If given the choice between making a lot of money or finding a way to make people live longer, what do you choose?”

Old 03-10-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Google Ventures and the Search for Immortality

Bill Maris has $425 million to invest this year, and the freedom to invest it however he wants. He's looking for companies that will slow aging, reverse disease, and extend life.

“There are a lot of billionaires in Silicon Valley, but in the end, we are all heading to the same place,” Maris says. “If given the choice between making a lot of money or finding a way to make people live longer, what do you choose?”
People are starting to realize what I have been saying for years now.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:29 PM

Well it looks like it could be here and ahead of my "optimistic" projection of 2023.

Curing Aging with Cell Manipulation and Telomere Lengthening; One Year Away from Human Trials

The link: https://lifeboat.com/blog/2015/09/cu...m-human-trials

This is a youtube video of him talking about this:

Old 10-03-2015, 03:02 PM

Talking BioViva Treats First Patient with Gene Therapy to Reverse Aging

Well its starting! I will keep a eye on this.

BioViva USA, Inc. has become the first company to treat a person with gene therapy to reverse biological aging, using a combination of two therapies developed and applied outside the United States of America. Testing and research on these therapies is continuing in BioViva’s affiliated labs worldwide.

The link: BioViva Treats First Patient with Gene Therapy to Reverse Aging

Old 10-05-2015, 11:15 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times
It all sounds good on the surface, but I wouldn't want to live forever. For one thing, just because you stopped aging and look and feel 21 forever doesn't mean you'll live forever. There are circumstances beyond our control that would eventually cause our demise. Traffic accidents, plane crashes, terrorism, wars, etc....I firmly believe if one lives long enough, you're going to be faced with one of those situations.

I also think about this. Because we all know that our lives are only for a short time, it makes it a bit easier to deal with the loss of a loved one. It's hard enough to have known a loved one for, say, 80 years, and then they pass, but could you imagine having a loved one for 3000 years, and one day, some tragic accident kills them? That would be much tougher for me to deal with. To know that I've seen this person for thousands of years, and the next thing you know, you'll never see them again? That's tough.

I don't want to ever outlive my son. I really don't want to outlive my wife nor any of my friends. I hate the thoughts of my parents dying. But I'd say, if my friends and family, including myself, could all live forever and be 21 years old forever, then I wouldn't want it to be in this world. It would have to be in paradise.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:32 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Forever is a LONG time. Our minds cannot truly comprehend thousands of years, to say nothing about millions, billions, trillions, ect. years.

Personally I wouldn't mind doing a couple hundred (with a good body) but I highly doubt the human mind can even retain it's sanity for much longer than that.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Forever is a LONG time. Our minds cannot truly comprehend thousands of years, to say nothing about millions, billions, trillions, ect. years.

Personally I wouldn't mind doing a couple hundred (with a good body) but I highly doubt the human mind can even retain it's sanity for much longer than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
It all sounds good on the surface, but I wouldn't want to live forever. For one thing, just because you stopped aging and look and feel 21 forever doesn't mean you'll live forever. There are circumstances beyond our control that would eventually cause our demise. Traffic accidents, plane crashes, terrorism, wars, etc....I firmly believe if one lives long enough, you're going to be faced with one of those situations.

I also think about this. Because we all know that our lives are only for a short time, it makes it a bit easier to deal with the loss of a loved one. It's hard enough to have known a loved one for, say, 80 years, and then they pass, but could you imagine having a loved one for 3000 years, and one day, some tragic accident kills them? That would be much tougher for me to deal with. To know that I've seen this person for thousands of years, and the next thing you know, you'll never see them again? That's tough.

I don't want to ever outlive my son. I really don't want to outlive my wife nor any of my friends. I hate the thoughts of my parents dying. But I'd say, if my friends and family, including myself, could all live forever and be 21 years old forever, then I wouldn't want it to be in this world. It would have to be in paradise.
That is why you, also, become transhuman. That is what will make it possible. Also, if I was going to only live on this planet I would agree it would get boring in about 200 years but look at how big the universe is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology