Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2015, 04:32 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,451,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
150 years is good enough for me
Something tells me you will change your mind when you are 150.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 06:00 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,432,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Well maybe not forever but I intend to live a very long time, thousands of years or more.

I decided to start this thread here because it has to do with science and the progress of information technology. There is a book called "The Singularity is Near" and a documentary called "Transcendent Man" by Ray Kurzweil. This is the teaser from youtube:

In it he discusses the law of accelerating returns and More's Law that say information technology grows at a exponential rate. When I was a kid in the 1970's computers took up a whole room. Now my cell phone has more computing ability then that computer did and in 20 years computers will be the size of a blood cell. That will allow us to have super strong immune systems and help us be even smarter as our biology will blend with nano technology. They have already found the aging gene and fat gene and are working on being able to stop and even reverse them. Then by 2029 computers will be as intelligent as humans and by 2045 a single computer will be as intelligent as all of the humans on earth combined. We will, also, have virtual reality that will be as real as "the real world". Picture the hollow deck on Star Trek but a 1,000 times better in my life time. I can't wait. This is the best time to be alive!
You know, if you are smoking the right kinda stuff, you will reach that reality much much quicker!

The bold part didn't sound like a good thing to me. If anything, it sounds like the Terminator script!

I always wondered how it would feel like to live forever at least a few hundred years. Would you still look and feel like you are at your prime like a vampire or would you gradually but continuously age still? If it is the latter, doesn't sound too appealing! If it is the former, how could your body and mind remain at its peak then naturally die one day? That didn't seem logical either.

Then I started to think on broader and perhaps less selfish terms and asked myself, why would anyone want to live forever or a long time? Has this person been contributing to the society, to human kind so much that he has a noble reason to wish this or is he just being selfish since he really hasn't done a single noteworthy contribution to mankind thus far? Or is the reason as simple as letting go life?

If letting go life is the reason, then why are we so attached to living when more than 99% of us ultimately does nothing more then eat, sleep and sh.t?

Are you really that happy with your life and accomplishments that you consider living forever?
Why do we think life will be better if we lived forever or a long.ss time? Is it because we associate living forever with being invincible?

Then I realize I don't have a big enough brain for such deep, philosophical thinking and decide on watching a movie like Idiocracy after I grab a bag of funyuns and fix myself a stiff drink.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Then I started to think on broader and perhaps less selfish terms and asked myself, why would anyone want to live forever or a long time? Has this person been contributing to the society, to human kind so much that he has a noble reason to wish this or is he just being selfish since he really hasn't done a single noteworthy contribution to mankind thus far? Or is the reason as simple as letting go life?

If letting go life is the reason, then why are we so attached to living when more than 99% of us ultimately does nothing more then eat, sleep and sh.t?

Are you really that happy with your life and accomplishments that you consider living forever?
Why do we think life will be better if we lived forever or a long.ss time? Is it because we associate living forever with being invincible?

Then I realize I don't have a big enough brain for such deep, philosophical thinking and decide on watching a movie like Idiocracy after I grab a bag of funyuns and fix myself a stiff drink.

I can say why I want to live for a long time if not "forever". Its simple there is so much to learn and explore in the known and unknown universe.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:36 PM

This is a updated article on the first person having reverse aging.

CEO Undergoes Gene Therapy To Reverse Aging

Liz Parry allegedly receives two forms of life extension gene therapy at an undisclosed location in Latin America.

The link: CEO Undergoes Gene Therapy To Reverse Aging

Old 10-20-2015, 12:09 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,461,131 times
I don't know about living forever, but it would be neat for everyone to look 21 years old for 80 years of their life. But imagine that professional athletes taking something like this and, in a sense, being able to play their professional sport for at least 60+ years! I don't know if I could handle seeing Tom Brady win another 50 Super Bowls!

Old 10-20-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I don't know about living forever, but it would be neat for everyone to look 21 years old for 80 years of their life. But imagine that professional athletes taking something like this and, in a sense, being able to play their professional sport for at least 60+ years! I don't know if I could handle seeing Tom Brady win another 50 Super Bowls!
As we live longer and enhance our bodies through biotech and nanotech I wonder if sports will have the kind of appeal it does today? I mean I love football (I have season tickets for the Denver Broncos and CSU Pueblo football team) but when it becomes easy for any of us to make plays like that if we want to will watching sports be as fun?

Old 10-20-2015, 12:37 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,593 times
If everybody is able to live for 100's of years, we'll have to do something about our birthrate, or the world's population would quickly spiral out of control. I have zero desire to live to 200 years old and have to share my life cheek-and-jowl with umpteen numbers of other humans in the year 2150. Even if tech is able to provide for all our needs, I need space and that's something no tech can provide. Unless we go out and colonize the galaxy, but still...

If the world had just 500 million people living to an average lifespan of 1000, with the birthrate at a very, very low .2 or .3, then maybe it'll work. Personally, I'd rather take my chances on being reincarnated - that way I'll get to be a whole different person in a totally different time period.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:44 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
As we live longer and enhance our bodies through biotech and nanotech I wonder if sports will have the kind of appeal it does today? I mean I love football (I have season tickets for the Denver Broncos and CSU Pueblo football team) but when it becomes easy for any of us to make plays like that if we want to will watching sports be as fun?
If people are able to enhance their bodies with tech, athletes would be able to run 40 mph and throw 100-yard passes - football might get real boring, real quick. Same with basketball, people being able to hit 3-pointers all day long from the other side of the court...lol.

Perhaps sports will shift to mental as well as physical - like competing with each other in puzzle games or something.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
If everybody is able to live for 100's of years, we'll have to do something about our birthrate, or the world's population would quickly spiral out of control. I have zero desire to live to 200 years old and have to share my life cheek-and-jowl with umpteen numbers of other humans in the year 2150. Even if tech is able to provide for all our needs, I need space and that's something no tech can provide. Unless we go out and colonize the galaxy, but still...

If the world had just 500 million people living to an average lifespan of 1000, with the birthrate at a very, very low .2 or .3, then maybe it'll work. Personally, I'd rather take my chances on being reincarnated - that way I'll get to be a whole different person in a totally different time period.
A couple of things.

1) As societies get advanced the birth rate actually goes down. Just look at the first world nations birth rate compared to the third world.

2) You are assuming people will not leave the planet when that will not be the case. Look at all the real estate in our solar system alone and while its impossible to get there and live today that will not be the case in the next 50 to 100 years.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
If people are able to enhance their bodies with tech, athletes would be able to run 40 mph and throw 100-yard passes - football might get real boring, real quick. Same with basketball, people being able to hit 3-pointers all day long from the other side of the court...lol.

Perhaps sports will shift to mental as well as physical - like competing with each other in puzzle games or something.
Good point or it might give away to new activities many of which could be in virtual reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology