U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 03:02 PM

11,739 posts, read 18,321,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
For all we know, we are already living "the matrix" or "holodeck" of another more advanced civilization.
Or perhaps I am old and living in a matrix in some nursing home....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 03:47 PM

4,534 posts, read 3,718,575 times
'I want to live forever!'

Me too!

'Ray takes about 200 vitamins a day,plus has his blood cleaned, also takes IVS'

But first he better learn to get rid of his Bald head - Baby Steps.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
'I want to live forever!'

Me too!

'Ray takes about 200 vitamins a day,plus has his blood cleaned, also takes IVS'

But first he better learn to get rid of his Bald head - Baby Steps.
The thing about it is he is right at the line. He might or might not make it but the science behind his theory is sound. My take on it is this. Gen X and down should make it the baby boomers are questionable.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The thing about it is he is right at the line. He might or might not make it but the science behind his theory is sound. My take on it is this. Gen X and down should make it the baby boomers are questionable.
Well, once we learn how are genome functions at all levels and are able to repair it efficiently we will be on our way.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Well, once we learn how are genome functions at all levels and are able to repair it efficiently we will be on our way.
That is the interesting thing. If information technology would improve on a linear scale then it would be hundreds if not thousands of years before that would happen. However, information technology improves at a exponential rate and that is good for us because it brings the research and development time down dramatically. In fact we should be well on our way to this by 2020, only 9 years away.

I really like his example. He says if you take 30 steps and count linearly you get to 30. If you county exponentially you get to over 1 billion. That is a huge difference and why we will see some amazing advancements in the next 10 to 40 years.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
That is the interesting thing. If information technology would improve on a linear scale then it would be hundreds if not thousands of years before that would happen. However, information technology improves at a exponential rate and that is good for us because it brings the research and development time down dramatically. In fact we should be well on our way to this by 2020, only 9 years away.

I really like his example. He says if you take 30 steps and count linearly you get to 30. If you county exponentially you get to over 1 billion. That is a huge difference and why we will see some amazing advancements in the next 10 to 40 years.
Better yet if you could somehow transmit and store your own neuronal memories and experiences you could then upload them to different future nueronal structures in different genomes - we have already shown you can erase memories. How fun would that be

Old 08-25-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Better yet if you could somehow transmit and store your own neuronal memories and experiences you could then upload them to different future nueronal structures in different genomes - we have already shown you can erase memories. How fun would that be
He talks about that in the book and documentary. Kind of like backing up a computer. He also talks about how we will be able to have different bodies both in the real world and in virtual reality that will be just as good if not better then the real world. I am so excited about the potential that I cant wait to see it develop. I would love to have a second life in a virtual world. Maybe live on the Enterprise with Piccard?

Old 08-25-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
He talks about that in the book and documentary. Kind of like backing up a computer. He also talks about how we will be able to have different bodies both in the real world and in virtual reality that will be just as good if not better then the real world. I am so excited about the potential that I cant wait to see it develop. I would love to have a second life in a virtual world. Maybe live on the Enterprise with Piccard?
Maybe, just Maybe! It is fun to think about though.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Maybe, just Maybe! It is fun to think about though.
It is and the movie is even better to watch. Even if he is off and some of his ideas, I don't think he is, there will still be huge advancements in our lifetime including nano technology and virtual reality. Enough to keep us more then happy.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:47 AM

14,698 posts, read 20,611,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
For all we know, we are already living "the matrix" or "holodeck" of another more advanced civilization.
You're freaking me out, man.

If we do discover the key to extreme longetivity we'd better also have figured out how to migrate to other planets. Otherwise, we are facing a Logan's Run type situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology