U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 10:53 AM

4,452 posts, read 6,780,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
He talks about that in the book and documentary. Kind of like backing up a computer. He also talks about how we will be able to have different bodies both in the real world and in virtual reality that will be just as good if not better then the real world. I am so excited about the potential that I cant wait to see it develop. I would love to have a second life in a virtual world.
Life in a virtual world sounds pretty exciting, but what options would you choose from to undergo it? A short, limited-time experience, ala Total Recall? Or a permanent transfer? Secondly, why do you think a virtual world would possibly be better than the real world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 02:55 PM

14,698 posts, read 20,192,250 times
"Plugging in" to virtual world would also present other problems such as muscle atrophy, detachment from reality, etc. I'd say a Holodeck is the best way to go if they could just figure out how to keep Professor Moriarity in there.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:10 PM

11,662 posts, read 17,903,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
You're freaking me out, man.

If we do discover the key to extreme longetivity we'd better also have figured out how to migrate to other planets. Otherwise, we are facing a Logan's Run type situation.
Maybe my city can finally grow to over 1 million people.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:17 PM

7 posts, read 8,289 times
Living forever will make you stale. Why don't you think of living another day, Just another day!

Old 08-26-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Life in a virtual world sounds pretty exciting, but what options would you choose from to undergo it? A short, limited-time experience, ala Total Recall? Or a permanent transfer? Secondly, why do you think a virtual world would possibly be better than the real world?
That is a complicated answer. I really could write a book on what I could do in virtual reality that I can't do in the real world. I do have a lot of questions on how it would work, what impact would it have on the economy and society in general and how to fully combine the two.

I dont think you would live your entire life in a virtual reality. If someone did that would be what they called on star trek, Hollow-diction. So I think someone would still have his or her real world life but go there for fun.

That gets me to the second part. What could we do in virtual reality that we can't do in real life. I can tell you what I would do.

1) I would love to design the city of my dreams and visit there time to time. It would be Pueblo, Colorado but many times larger with sky scrapers, huge international airport, large university, medical centers etc. Then I could go with my bf and just have the time of my life as money would be no object, its my world.

2) Virtual realty games would be a lot of fun. For example there is Star Trek. I would love to be the captain of the Enterprise or Voyager etc.

3) History would be way more alive. Imagine actually being able to see the Civil War or President Lincoln give his Gettysburg Address or the Roman Empire how it was etc.

4) I wont get in to the XXX stuff but it would be available and fun.

This is just what I thought of now. I am sure there is a lot more things we could do in virtual reality that we can't do here. Plus we can look how we want and change our appearance. This would bring new meaning to the game "Second Life".

This will happen. Its not a matter of "if" but "when" and with the exponential growth of information technology I think it will be sooner rather then later.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
"Plugging in" to virtual world would also present other problems such as muscle atrophy, detachment from reality, etc. I'd say a Holodeck is the best way to go if they could just figure out how to keep Professor Moriarity in there.
Possibly or maybe they can come up with a way to keep our muscles moving while in virtual reality. Sine we don't have the technology yet its hard to say how they will handle the problems that come with it.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddmovers View Post
Living forever will make you stale. Why don't you think of living another day, Just another day!
Then I will be stale as my only other option is death and I do not want to die.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:35 PM

4,452 posts, read 6,780,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
That is a complicated answer. I really could write a book on what I could do in virtual reality that I can't do in the real world. I do have a lot of questions on how it would work, what impact would it have on the economy and society in general and how to fully combine the two.

I dont think you would live your entire life in a virtual reality. If someone did that would be what they called on star trek, Hollow-diction. So I think someone would still have his or her real world life but go there for fun.

That gets me to the second part. What could we do in virtual reality that we can't do in real life. I can tell you what I would do.

1) I would love to design the city of my dreams and visit there time to time. It would be Pueblo, Colorado but many times larger with sky scrapers, huge international airport, large university, medical centers etc. Then I could go with my bf and just have the time of my life as money would be no object, its my world.

2) Virtual realty games would be a lot of fun. For example there is Star Trek. I would love to be the captain of the Enterprise or Voyager etc.

3) History would be way more alive. Imagine actually being able to see the Civil War or President Lincoln give his Gettysburg Address or the Roman Empire how it was etc.

4) I wont get in to the XXX stuff but it would be available and fun.

This is just what I thought of now. I am sure there is a lot more things we could do in virtual reality that we can't do here. Plus we can look how we want and change our appearance. This would bring new meaning to the game "Second Life".

This will happen. Its not a matter of "if" but "when" and with the exponential growth of information technology I think it will be sooner rather then later.
Okay, so then you're talking about it as a recreational experience. I agree that you wouldn't be able to live your entire life in a virtual reality. In effect the objective you envision is more of a break from the routine of everyday life, much on the same way as a game only with the illusion of being in a different world. In a sense, similar to the movie Total Recall. The problem with the Total Recall scenario is that the 'treatment' in reality lasted a short time, but implanted fictional memories that made you feel as if you really had the experience. The drawback with that is if your brain thought it was actually a real experience, the risk of being unable to draw the line and know the difference between reality and illusion could be a problem. For a recreational experience, an advanced interactive holographic setting would probably be interesting. When you're ready to quit, hit the QUIT button and the holograph vanishes.

Here's an interesting video about a man who creates a virtual reality holographic world for a very special reason. I can see how that too could be a very useful application. Enjoy.

World Builder (high quality) - YouTube

Old 08-26-2011, 05:26 PM

That is a interesting delima because when you are there it would seem like reality and in many ways since perception is reality it would be reality. How do we solve that so we can keep both worlds separate? I have no idea but that is something we as a society will have to work on once we get to that level of technology.

As far as your video that is what I was talking about but on a larger scale and since I am gay I would have the perfect BF there! I would, also, not want to make up all the buildings but have some kind of a blue print then go from there and have voice interface so I would not have to type everything. I would take Pueblo and spend a few days making it my perfect city which is the same now only larger and have all the "news" revolve around Pueblo with NBC, CBS ABC, Fox News and CNN being located in Pueblo not NYC.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:48 PM

5,070 posts, read 7,923,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
'I want to live forever!'

Me too!

'Ray takes about 200 vitamins a day,plus has his blood cleaned, also takes IVS'

But first he better learn to get rid of his Bald head - Baby Steps.
There's a pill you can take that grows hair. Costs about 60/month...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology