U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:51 AM

11,762 posts, read 18,396,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I used to fall for this phoney science when I was a kid, 40 yrs ago.
Truth is I just hadn't dealt with my mortality and I was afraid but kept pushing it to the back of my mind with the thought that by the time I'm getting old they will have solved the death problem.
Its fantasy science, fake. But if people are too afraid to deal with the reality of life, yes you're gonna die for certain, then you'll fall for anything that sounds promising.

We'll be able to download the mind? thats hilarious.
Precisely where does consciousness reside in the brain.?
Do you know what the latest theories tell us?
Nothing, they don't have any theories.
I felt the same way you did till I saw a show on how information technology advances exponentially and the impact it has had on society and will have as it continues to advance exponentially.

Think about it this way. In the 1960's computers took up entire buildings. Then in the 1970's entire rooms. The 80's they fit on a desk then in the 90's we had lap tops and around 2005 we got the smart phone and today we have wearable tech and we have virtual reality. Do you think it will stop here? No computers will continue to shrink and get faster and once they become nano scale (nanotechnology) we will merge with it AKA become transhuman and that will change life in ways we can not even imagine today allowing us to live much longer or as I say "forever". So do we know what life will be like when this happens in the mid to late 2020's and especially the 2030's? No that would take a crystal ball. But we can see it coming and do our best to get ready for the changes coming.

As a side note we can never really say we lived "forever" but what we can do is use technology as it advances as a bridge to a bridge to a bridge allowing us to live for a very long time so long that is is easier to say "forever". I now consider myself in life 2.0 which I am finding out is really just a bridge between life 1.0 and 3.0 or when I will be transhuman. Already I can see the changes my life has had as my life today was a science fiction movie when I was in high school in the late 80's and early 90's as I graduated in 1991 and anticipate it to change even more in the next 5-13 years as I reach life 3.0.

Last edited by Josseppie; 04-20-2017 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I have yet to see evidence that we are close. All the experiments on life extension have concentrated on removing age related disease or slowing down aging, which would all extend your life but not make you younger. I have yet to read anything in which they actually regenerated and reverse the age of something even in very simply organisms.
Google's chief futurist Ray Kurzweil thinks we could start living forever by 2029

"I believe we will reach a point around 2029 when medical technologies will add one additional year every year to your life expectancy," he told Playboy. "By that I dont mean life expectancy based on your birthdate, but rather your remaining life expectancy."

The link: Google's chief futurist thinks we could start living forever by 2029 - Business Insider

This video just came out and is good on this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpzX...6009&index=113

Old 04-20-2017, 02:50 PM

2,726 posts, read 5,974,940 times
Quote:
I used to fall for this phoney science when I was a kid, 40 yrs ago.
Truth is I just hadn't dealt with my mortality and I was afraid but kept pushing it to the back of my mind with the thought that by the time I'm getting old they will have solved the death problem.
Its fantasy science, fake. But if people are too afraid to deal with the reality of life, yes you're gonna die for certain, then you'll fall for anything that sounds promising.

We'll be able to download the mind? thats hilarious.
Precisely where does consciousness reside in the brain.?
Do you know what the latest theories tell us?
Nothing, they don't have any theories.
Many innovations began with someone imagining the impossible. Flying was once impossible. Talking to someone half the world away was once impossible. What is now impossible might be possible in the future.

Last edited by davidt1; 04-20-2017 at 03:20 PM..

Old 04-20-2017, 04:41 PM

1,504 posts, read 346,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I felt the same way you did till I saw a show on how information technology advances exponentially and the impact it has had on society and will have as it continues to advance exponentially.

Think about it this way. In the 1960's computers took up entire buildings. Then in the 1970's entire rooms. The 80's they fit on a desk then in the 90's we had lap tops and around 2005 we got the smart phone and today we have wearable tech and we have virtual reality. Do you think it will stop here? No computers will continue to shrink and get faster and once they become nano scale (nanotechnology) we will merge with it AKA become transhuman and that will change life in ways we can not even imagine today allowing us to live much longer or as I say "forever". So do we know what life will be like when this happens in the mid to late 2020's and especially the 2030's? No that would take a crystal ball. But we can see it coming and do our best to get ready for the changes coming.

As a side note we can never really say we lived "forever" but what we can do is use technology as it advances as a bridge to a bridge to a bridge allowing us to live for a very long time so long that is is easier to say "forever". I now consider myself in life 2.0 which I am finding out is really just a bridge between life 1.0 and 3.0 or when I will be transhuman. Already I can see the changes my life has had as my life today was a science fiction movie when I was in high school in the late 80's and early 90's as I graduated in 1991 and anticipate it to change even more in the next 5-13 years as I reach life 3.0.
hehehe and I felt the same way you do until I saw a documentary by Roger Penrose demonstrating why it isn't going to happen.
Presuming a non linear increase in technology will produce consciousness in a machine that runs algorithms based on axioms is sheer ignorance of the fundamentals of math and logic,
its not like its complicated to grasp Godels incompleteness theorem.
We simply don't know what consciousness is, we know what it feels like but the "hard problem" of consciousness is definitely non computable. There is nothing to even suggest that increased computing power and complexity will magically cause consciousness to arise. But it gets even worse, imagine an infinite number of computers with infinite computing power, you still cannot evoke consciousness from any Turing type machine (computer) running on algorythmic functions. There is no way around incompleteness, its a theorem for a reason. Like it or not its something you accept or swallow a lie.

Artificial intelligence is simple, it can be as simple as John Searles Chinese Room, it works and no-one can really tell the difference but the machine itself has zero consciousness. This is all well known to Kurzweil, he's turning a blind eye and wishing.

Penrose doesn't say it can never happen, but he proved it cannot happen with computers we know today, it will require something like quantum computing, Penrose is also an atheist, he has no religious donkey in this race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVq39QbFQXE

Old 04-20-2017, 04:46 PM

1,504 posts, read 346,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Many innovations began with someone imagining the impossible. Flying was once impossible. Talking to someone half the world away was once impossible. What is now impossible might be possible in the future.
When you get to my age and have seen the world you won't want to live forever.
Things change over the decades, fear of death dissolves away.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:48 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,101,576 times
Quote:
hehehe and I felt the same way you do until I saw a documentary by Roger Penrose demonstrating why it isn't going to happen.
Presuming a non linear increase in technology will produce consciousness in a machine that runs algorithms based on axioms is sheer ignorance of the fundamentals of math and logic,
We simply don't know what consciousness is, we know what it feels like but the "hard problem" of consciousness is definitely non computable. There is nothing to even suggest that increased computing power and complexity will magically cause consciousness to arise. But it gets even worse, imagine an infinite number of computers with infinite computing power, you still cannot evoke consciousness from any Turing type machine (computer) running on algorythmic functions. There is no way around incompleteness, its a theorem for a reason. Like it or not its something you accept or swallow a lie.

Artificial intelligence is simple, it can be as simple as John Searles Chinese Room, it works and no-one can really tell the difference but the machine itself has zero consciousness. This is all well known to Kurzweil, he's turning a blind eye and wishing.

Penrose doesn't say it can never happen, but he proved it cannot happen with computers we know today, it will require something like quantum computing, Penrose is also an atheist, he has no religious donkey in this race.

Well I'm one of the people who think Jossep is too generous with his prediction years, as I think it won't happen as soon as many believe. But in terms of quantum computers it seems we're quite close to achieving that feat. Though like you said it's unclear that would actually lead to consciousness as the articles I have read simply say that quantum computers would be able to answer questions that our current super computers would take years to do.

Quantum computers ready to leap out of the lab in 2017 : Nature News & Comment

Old 04-20-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:

That is two different topics.

Will we live "forever" and will we find the nature of consciousness.

We do not need to find the nature of consciousness to greatly extend our life span to nearly "forever". We can do that with biotechnology and merging with nanotechnology.

On the consciousness debate I will let that one go till we reverse engineer the brain around 2020. Then we can answer that question better.

Here is one project working on it but there are many more:

Bluebrain | EPFL

Old 05-22-2017, 12:31 PM

Another step towards reverse aging by Harvard.

Critical step found in DNA repair, cellular aging

Experiments in mice suggest way to thwart DNA damage from aging, radiation

The link: Harvard scientists pinpoint critical step in DNA repair, cellular aging | Harvard Gazette

Old 06-14-2017, 10:07 AM

I have been consistent that i think we will have the ability to reverse age by 2023 when i am 50. It is looking more and more like i will be right as 3-5 years is before 2023!

NASA's Age Reversing Pill Begins Human Testing Within 6 Months

“This is the closest we are to a safe and effective anti-ageing drug that's perhaps only three to five years away from being on the market if the trials go well. In the study, cells of old mice were indistinguishable from the young mice after just one week of treatment,” said lead author Professor David Sinclair.

THe link: https://www.minds.com/blog/view/693324019683827718

Old 06-18-2017, 12:02 AM

7,216 posts, read 2,435,741 times
Quote:
I have been consistent that i think we will have the ability to reverse age by 2023 when i am 50. It is looking more and more like i will be right as 3-5 years is before 2023!
Why would you want to live forever? At the rate of our uncontrolled human population we can predict that in 500 years we will be living in very uncomfortable conditions due to overpopulation. Just Google the problems where overpopulation is occurring.

Neil deGrasse Tyson explains what the world will be like in 500 years
Quote:
NASA's Age Reversing Pill Begins Human Testing Within 6 Months
This is not a NASA study. This study is independent of NASA and is being conducted by Sinclair and Dr. Wu.

Perhaps you can actually read the study that Sinclair published in the March 2017 edition of Science.

Study Conclusion: Thus, NAD+ directly regulates protein-protein interactions, the modulation of which may protect against cancer, radiation, and aging.

You also might want to check out his website where you can also find his published research papers.

Professor David Sinclair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology