U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 09:04 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,293,708 times

Advertisements

As for nanotechnology, yes, I have come across mention that rejuvenation may require a well developed nanotechnology.

You have probably seen illustrations of microscopic submarines in the human capillaries.

One of earliest applications may be selective destruction, such as of pathogens.

Imagine the technology becoming refined. Your tiny submarines grow teeny arms and begin repair work. Such as reaching into a cell to fix the nucleus.

So an elderly body is repaired at the cellular level, reversing the damage of the aging process.

Once your tech gets that sophisticated...there is another concept. Your tiny submarines have onboard computers...they become wired up to the neurons of the cerebral cortex. Right, this scenario has been suggested for Intelligence Amplification (IA).

So if you have the tech for rejuvenation-a tremendous change in itself-you also have the tech for a singularity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 09:47 PM

On the other hand, there are destructive scenarios involving nanotechnology. In one sense nanotechnology may resemble nuclear energy-having constructive uses, but also the capacity to destroy civilization.

I suspect that, once past a very early stage, nanotechnology will lead to either cataclysm or a singularity.

I have wondered about other technologies, such as quantum computers, leading to a singularity.

Come to think of it, there may be several different possible technologies that create thresh holds, leading to singularities.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 06-23-2017 at 09:58 PM..

Old 06-24-2017, 12:33 AM

22,699 posts, read 16,804,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Think of all the taxes you will pay.

As you get older, you'll realize that living forever is not always a terribly attractive option.
I find this very difficult to believe.

I'm with the OP on this one. There are so many things to do, places to see.

As another pointed out, however, it means something drastic will have to change in society. We can't keep having all these people being born and no one dying. So how does it happen? Do we stop allowing people to have kids, or do we wipe out a portion of the population who are "not deserving"? Who decides who is and is not "deserving"? Would enough people not want to live 'forever' to solve the over population issue? Or will we have figured out a way to get to the multiple other "earth-like" planets that scientists state they have recently found?

But yeah, I fantasized about this stuff a lot as a kid. How cool it would be to live forever. I do hesitate when we talk about computers being as smart as every human on earth. Or maybe I read way too many sci-fi books when I was younger. Robopocalypse, anyone?

Old 06-24-2017, 11:59 AM

"Living forever"-or even a somewhat extended lifespan-have not been options. And our experience with the infirmities of old age makes long life seem unattractive.

One hint we can take from a 122 year life-Jeanne Calmest survived from one historical era into another. The world near the end of her life would have seemed wild science fiction compared to the world she experienced as a young adult.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:10 PM

2,070 posts, read 1,590,064 times
Science can't even cure Lupus, Cancer, Sickle Cell or any type of Diabetes after these thousands of years of existence and billions of dollars wasted in research.. I highly doubt we'll ever get to a point of being able to consistently extend life beyond 100 years.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:52 PM

11,037 posts, read 4,814,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I generally like Futurism and read a lot from them. Also if we go to Mars in the next 20 years do you think it is unreasonable to think we will be living on mars by 2100 with how fast we are advancing.
Nope.
Quote:
If not by 2100 it will not be long after that and when it is as safe to travel there as it is to fly to Europe today I am out of here. Not because I do not like Earth, I love it, but want to explore new worlds.
You will be long dead before this ever happens.

So, you want to terraform Mars?

Old 06-24-2017, 04:00 PM

12,177 posts, read 21,010,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Nope.

You will be long dead before this ever happens.

So, you want to terraform Mars?
Not with advancing technology. We will have reverse aging by the 2020's and nanotech where we cam merge with it by 2030.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:05 PM

11,037 posts, read 4,814,407 times
Quote:
Not with advancing technology. We will have reverse aging by the 2020's and nanotech where we cam merge with it by 2030.
No one is trying to reverse aging...that will never happen. Research is being done to find ways to slow down aging.

Perhaps you should be looking into how to lengthen your Telomeres.

The work that Sinclair was doing that you tried to claim in an earlier post was a NASA Age Reverse Pill study that you found on a blog had nothing to do with Age Reversal.

That study had nothing to do with studying age reversal.

The title of the study was: A conserved NAD+ binding pocket that regulates protein-protein interactions during aging

Perhaps you can read the study (I hyperlinked it to the title above) and point out where it suggests the research was being conducted to "reverse aging".

Quote:
An unexpected function of the oxidized form of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) could underlie some effects of aging and propensity to age-related diseases.

Although the reason NAD+ declines with age is unclear, this work provides a plausible explanation for why DNA repair capacity declines as we age (24), pointing to NAD+ replenishment as a means of reducing the side effects of chemotherapy, protecting against radiation exposure, and slowing the natural decline in DNA repair capacity during aging.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:32 PM

4,084 posts, read 7,779,505 times
Quote:
I found this video on line and it does the best job of explaining what I have been talking about in only a few minutes.

I have some fantastic news! Quoted by the OP in 2011, this dude is still alive.

The jury is still out on his personal progress of stopping aging though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ray+...9qYorWW-D5j0M:

Last edited by davidt1; 06-24-2017 at 05:41 PM..

Old 06-25-2017, 06:55 AM

12,177 posts, read 21,010,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
No one is trying to reverse aging...that will never happen. Research is being done to find ways to slow down aging.

Perhaps you should be looking into how to lengthen your Telomeres.

The work that Sinclair was doing that you tried to claim in an earlier post was a NASA Age Reverse Pill study that you found on a blog had nothing to do with Age Reversal.

That study had nothing to do with studying age reversal.

The title of the study was: A conserved NAD+ binding pocket that regulates protein-protein interactions during aging

Perhaps you can read the study (I hyperlinked it to the title above) and point out where it suggests the research was being conducted to "reverse aging".
I have posted articles that show people are working to reverse age in humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology