U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 08:37 PM

750 posts, read 213,019 times

Advertisements

I'd love to live prolong my lifespan. Not sure about living forever as that would mean experiencing the end of the Sun.
If we were immortal does it mean we'd be alive until the heat death of the universe or would we live past that somehow?

Human lifespan is way too short to explore the universe or even the solar system for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 10:23 PM

3,248 posts, read 6,443,584 times
Immortality is not necessarily forever. It's more like a figure of speech. There is a jelly fish that can live forever by regenerating. But it does not actually live forever. It dies when you step on it. It dies when eaten by another fish. It dies when the ocean dries out.

5 Animals That Live Forever*|*Reader's Digest

Old 07-26-2017, 04:56 AM

750 posts, read 213,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Immortality is not necessarily forever. It's more like a figure of speech. There is a jelly fish that can live forever by regenerating. But it does not actually live forever. It dies when you step on it. It dies when eaten by another fish. It dies when the ocean dries out.

5 Animals That Live Forever*|*Reader's Digest
If i'm not mistaken, the term for that is invincible (as in nothing can kill you). Immortal means that one cannot die due to natural causes (age, disease...) but is still vulnerable to all else.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:21 PM
Status: "CSU Pueblo won the NCAA D2 Championship in 2014!" (set 10 days ago)

11,940 posts, read 19,180,635 times
True "forever" is a figure of speech. I mean what is "forever" anyway. No matter how long you live you can no wake up and say Ive done it I have lived "forever".

Old 10-24-2017, 06:16 PM

Some interesting developments that help my goal of reverse aging by 2023.

1)

CRISPR has opened up limitless avenues for genetic modification. From disease prevention to invasive species control, Jennifer Kahn discusses the discover, application, and implications of gene drives.

The link: https://futurism.com/gene-editing-ca...ecies-forever/

2)

The results of two human clinical trials into a stem cell therapy that can reverse symptoms of age-associated frailty have been published, and the indications are that this landmark treatment is both safe and strikingly effective in tackling key factors in aging.

Scientists have been making significant headway recently, studying a variety of anti-aging targets from discovering a protein that can restore hair and improve fitness in old mice to revealing how fecal transplants increase the lifespan of some fish. But the arena of stem cell transplantation has offered some of the most exciting anti-aging research outcomes.

The link: https://newatlas.com/aging-frailty-s...-trials/51867/

3)

First Successful Gene Therapy Against Human Aging? It May Be So

Should these results prove to be accurate, it means that scientists have actually managed to create a way to reverse aging.

The link: https://futurism.com/gene-therapy-re...logical-aging/

4)

Humans Can Now “Print” Genetic Code and Engineer Life

Scientists' ability to create organisms through synthetic biology is getting easier and cheaper fueling the start of a new era in biology.

Synthetic biology has already lead to some innovations such as lab-grown meat, advancement in medicine, and even helping to bring back extinct species.

The link: https://futurism.com/humans-can-now-...engineer-life/

5)

Scientists Developed a Way to Precisely Edit Genes in the Human Brain

Researchers have developed a technique that enables gene editing on neurons — something previously thought to be impossible. This new tool will present amazing new opportunities for neuroscience research.

The link: https://futurism.com/scientists-deve...e-human-brain/

Old 10-31-2017, 09:31 PM

1,867 posts, read 846,724 times
Awhile back I read online articles regarding the bowhead whale. There seems to be evidence that the whale has a maximum life span decades longer than the maximum life span of humans.

Another species of mammal that lives longer than us.

So.... Could some form of biotechnology, or drug therapy, enable us to live longer?

Old 11-07-2017, 04:00 PM

It is getting closer!

‘Your animal life is over. Machine life has begun.’ The road to immortality

In California, radical scientists and billionaire backers think the technology to extend life – by uploading minds to exist separately from the body – is only a few years away

The link" https://www.theguardian.com/science/...to-immortality

Old 11-09-2017, 07:12 AM

49 posts, read 12,747 times
I most certainly do NOT want to live forever. The way this world is going, I'd rather go sooner, rather than later (I'm 51 and have an estimated time of death of age 87.) Plenty long enough for me to live.

I'd much rather they focus on things to make our lives better, rather than forcing us to live in misery for untold number of years. Things like curing asthma, cancer, heart disease, obesity, etc, etc. If they can find a way to keep our bodies from falling apart in our later years, while keeping the lifespan approximately the same, it would be a godsend to humanity, since we'll be able to enjoy our lives to the end, instead of wasting away in hospitals and nursing homes.

This immortality stuff has been going on for as long as humans have been alive - the quest for eternal youth and all of that. Sorry, it ain't happening. If it did, we'd all die anyhow from resource depletion from extreme overpopulation.

Quality vs quantity - I'm going with quality every single time.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I most certainly do NOT want to live forever. The way this world is going, I'd rather go sooner, rather than later (I'm 51 and have an estimated time of death of age 87.) Plenty long enough for me to live.

I'd much rather they focus on things to make our lives better, rather than forcing us to live in misery for untold number of years. Things like curing asthma, cancer, heart disease, obesity, etc, etc. If they can find a way to keep our bodies from falling apart in our later years, while keeping the lifespan approximately the same, it would be a godsend to humanity, since we'll be able to enjoy our lives to the end, instead of wasting away in hospitals and nursing homes.

This immortality stuff has been going on for as long as humans have been alive - the quest for eternal youth and all of that. Sorry, it ain't happening. If it did, we'd all die anyhow from resource depletion from extreme overpopulation.

Quality vs quantity - I'm going with quality every single time.
No one will be forced to live forever......

Old 11-10-2017, 11:57 AM

49 posts, read 12,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
No one will be forced to live forever......
Actually, my biggest fear is that this tech will be developed, but made available only for the super-rich.

Imagine this - the billionaire class taking the Eternal Youth Treatment which enables them to outlive the rest of the population by centuries. What's gonna happen? They'll get richer and richer, hoarding all the money in the world. Today, we have 3 (yes, three) individuals who own more than the bottom 50% of the US population. A century of these billionaires outliving everyone else, it'll be something like 100 families owning 99.9% of the wealth.

NOT a world I wanna live in. It would be smart to start banning this stuff now, while we still have the chance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology