Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 04:54 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The good news is your will have that option and the people who want to live for a very long time will have that option as well. My hope is as I live for a long time our intelligence and knowledge will increase to the point where scientifically we know what happens to us when we die with no uncertainty. Then I can decide if I want to die or live forever.
Are there any drawbacks to extreme longevity (apart from the obvious)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 04:58 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
I am sure there are some. However for me since I am agnostic and think when we die that is it with this life any draw backs with living for a long time pale in comparison to the ones that come with dying. I do believe in eternal life. That is where we come back in a far future universe but there is no guarantee I will like that universe and I wont have any memories of this one so I want stay alive as long as I can, maybe indefinitely. Now I understand this is a personal decision and some people will not want to live for a long time and I respect that.

Also, the main key for me is quality of life. I would not want to live for thousands of years in a nursing home but since they will find the aging gene and keep me looking like I was 20 and fit with nano-technology in me making me smarter and less likely to get sick I will be happy.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:24 PM

Achieving an incorruptible body --thourgh whatever means-- does nothing to address the corruptible and corrupting world in which we live. Would you want to spend eternity watching things slow down, come to rest, cool off, and fall apart? Physical immortality is still subservient to the steadily disintegrating universe ...

And isn't mortality one of the yardsticks with which we measure our humanity? If we are one day "freed" from old age and physical corruption, disease and injury, we also forfeit our humanity. We become something decidedly inhuman ... like gods?

Old 08-27-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Achieving an incorruptible body --thourgh whatever means-- does nothing to address the corruptible and corrupting world in which we live. Would you want to spend eternity watching things slow down, come to rest, cool off, and fall apart? Physical immortality is still subservient to the steadily disintegrating universe ...

And isn't mortality one of the yardsticks with which we measure our humanity? If we are one day "freed" from old age and physical corruption, disease and injury, we also forfeit our humanity. We become something decidedly inhuman ... like gods?
I suppose we could become "like gods" but to be honest that is not my goal or intention. I just want to live as long as I can and do as much as I can before I die. 100 years might seem like a lot but in reality its not. I have a feeling 1,000 years would go by just as fast or even 100,000 years. I, also, plan on leaving this planet and doing some exploring. If done right the kind of knowledge I could gain in 100,000 years would be more then any of us could now know.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:36 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Josseppie...what do you think would happen if most everyone decided they wanted to live for at least a thousand years?

Old 08-27-2011, 07:56 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
I want to live forever!

I hope you like Barry Manilow...
Quote:
They said we'd never last
A week, a month, a year
They shook their head
Dream on, they said, 'cause dreamers disappear
But here we are, no matter what they say
It's you and me forever and a day

Old 08-28-2011, 12:11 AM

I found this video on line and it does the best job of explaining what I have been talking about in only a few minutes.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Boredom. for some it may take 100 years for others 1000 years but sooner or later the passion for life is going to become just the same old been there done that type of experience.The main ingredient in lifes vitality is newness of experience and transience of life itself..
Living forever? theres only so much a human can do before it becomes boringly repetitive as in Ho Hum just another trip around the world or just another day of glorious scenery,or just another day of exciting adventures etc,etc, etc, it will all become boring sooner or later..

Old 08-28-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Boredom. for some it may take 100 years for others 1000 years but sooner or later the passion for life is going to become just the same old been there done that type of experience.The main ingredient in lifes vitality is newness of experience and transience of life itself..
Living forever? theres only so much a human can do before it becomes boringly repetitive as in Ho Hum just another trip around the world or just another day of glorious scenery,or just another day of exciting adventures etc,etc, etc, it will all become boring sooner or later..
My thoughts exactly.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:57 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
Watch that movie IRobot with Robin Williams, it's a story of an immortal household robot that chooses to become human so he can live a full life, even if it means becoming mortal, great movie....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology