U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:40 AM

11,739 posts, read 18,317,370 times

Advertisements

Well maybe not forever but I intend to live a very long time, thousands of years or more.

I decided to start this thread here because it has to do with science and the progress of information technology. There is a book called "The Singularity is Near" and a documentary called "Transcendent Man" by Ray Kurzweil. This is the teaser from youtube:

In it he discusses the law of accelerating returns and More's Law that say information technology grows at a exponential rate. When I was a kid in the 1970's computers took up a whole room. Now my cell phone has more computing ability then that computer did and in 20 years computers will be the size of a blood cell. That will allow us to have super strong immune systems and help us be even smarter as our biology will blend with nano technology. They have already found the aging gene and fat gene and are working on being able to stop and even reverse them. Then by 2029 computers will be as intelligent as humans and by 2045 a single computer will be as intelligent as all of the humans on earth combined. We will, also, have virtual reality that will be as real as "the real world". Picture the hollow deck on Star Trek but a 1,000 times better in my life time. I can't wait. This is the best time to be alive!

Last edited by Josseppie; 08-24-2011 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 09:10 PM

426 posts, read 1,058,181 times
Default Forever

I have heard of him and the film. Have'nt seen it. I would like to know how this will work. There is no way they are going to let everyone live forever. There are already too many people on the planet and not enough resources. Health care is expensive enough now. This will only benefit only the wealthy and smart people. They do not want the dregs of society or common people to live forever.
Ray takes about 200 vitamins a day,plus has his blood cleaned, also takes IVS. Have you checked the price of some of these supplements? 200 a day, he has to sell a lot of books and do a lot of lectures just to pay for that.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:39 PM

15,039 posts, read 44,830,424 times
Think of all the taxes you will pay.

As you get older, you'll realize that living forever is not always a terribly attractive option.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:31 PM

That is now with today's technology and if it would stay the same or grow linearly then I would agree that we would not live much more then we do today. However, its a proven fact that information technology grows at a exponential rate just look at More's law. What Ray has written in his book and said in his documentary is nothing new, I have heard it talked about for decades, he just puts it together in a way that many people have never thought of but once we do it makes total sense. The good thing about it is if someone does not want to live for a very long time they do not have to but in 20 years the ones of us who do want to will have that option. Personally, I plan on spending the new year 2100 on the moon with my BF at the young age of 127 but look like I am 27.

BTW with nano technology health care costs will go down as we will have super strong immune systems that will handle most of the diseases we can get including cancer, colds, and viruses like HIV.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:04 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,833,941 times
I admire your enthusiasm but there are some pretty big holes in your projections regarding the future of computational power.
First, you say that by 2029 computers will be as smart as humans. Where didja snag this date from? Too: you have to better define the word "smart." As far as calculating and memory power, computers have been "smarter" than us for decades now. But what we're talking about here is, if and when computers will be able to reason. I think the techno-geeks call this "fuzzy logic." Will they someday posess reasoning ability? Morality? Self-awareness--which is the type of mental component that separates us from animals? You gotta remember; we're a long way off from that right now; computers cannot yet even be trusted to drive a car in city or highway traffic conditions. Why? Too many variables and "maybes" involved.
And your 2045 prediction of computers being smarter than "all humans combined." This is sort of a say-nothing repetition of your first statement, since all humans combined are not really smarter than just one human. It's just an increase in numbers, not an enhancement.
And, uhh..I don't think there is an "aging gene." Aging is an overall cumulative process a living organism undergoes. Genes pass along information. Physicians have reckoned that, even if a human being is born in perfect health with no pre-genetic disposition to any disease, and then is coddled and partakes in perfect nutrition and exercise and environment, the maximum age he or she could expect to live is about 110. Tiny quantum computers in your cells (nanotechnology) are not going to be able to reverse this.
As of right now, your best bet to be alive, say, 500 years from now is to undergo Cryogenic suspension, like Walt Disney. That field is becoming viable, but still has some bugs in it.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:28 AM

14,698 posts, read 20,608,187 times
Who wants to live forever? Who dares to live forever?

Old 08-25-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Who wants to live forever? Who dares to live forever?
That is a easy question. I want to live forever and I am sure I am not the only one. There is so much to see in the universe that it would take billions and billions of years to see it all and then some.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:17 PM

378 posts, read 527,906 times
"I would not live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever."
- Miss Alabama, 94

Old 08-25-2011, 02:57 PM

12,259 posts, read 16,403,817 times
For all we know, we are already living "the matrix" or "holodeck" of another more advanced civilization.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I admire your enthusiasm but there are some pretty big holes in your projections regarding the future of computational power.
First, you say that by 2029 computers will be as smart as humans. Where didja snag this date from? Too: you have to better define the word "smart." As far as calculating and memory power, computers have been "smarter" than us for decades now. But what we're talking about here is, if and when computers will be able to reason. I think the techno-geeks call this "fuzzy logic." Will they someday posess reasoning ability? Morality? Self-awareness--which is the type of mental component that separates us from animals? You gotta remember; we're a long way off from that right now; computers cannot yet even be trusted to drive a car in city or highway traffic conditions. Why? Too many variables and "maybes" involved.
And your 2045 prediction of computers being smarter than "all humans combined." This is sort of a say-nothing repetition of your first statement, since all humans combined are not really smarter than just one human. It's just an increase in numbers, not an enhancement.
And, uhh..I don't think there is an "aging gene." Aging is an overall cumulative process a living organism undergoes. Genes pass along information. Physicians have reckoned that, even if a human being is born in perfect health with no pre-genetic disposition to any disease, and then is coddled and partakes in perfect nutrition and exercise and environment, the maximum age he or she could expect to live is about 110. Tiny quantum computers in your cells (nanotechnology) are not going to be able to reverse this.
As of right now, your best bet to be alive, say, 500 years from now is to undergo Cryogenic suspension, like Walt Disney. That field is becoming viable, but still has some bugs in it.
Its based on More's Law and the law of accelerating returns. I should not have said smarter as in many ways computers are smarter then us now I meant intelligent, IE artificial intelligence. Ray does a much better job of explaining it in his book and in the documentary.

We do have a aging gene. Again I refer you to his book, The Singularity is Near. Then look at this from Time:

Now, for the first time, researchers have found a genetic link to cellular aging — a finding that suggests new treatments for a variety of age-related diseases and cancers.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...#ixzz1W4uhIzhf

Last edited by Josseppie; 08-25-2011 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology