Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:33 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,258 times

Advertisements

Microsoft Sketches Its Vision for the Near Future [VIDEO] Mashable Microsoft Sketches Its Vision for the Near Future [VIDEO] | The top source for social and digital news

This would be cool. Assuming there are enough jobs for people to buy the stuff...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 08:46 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,608,169 times
Some cool vids on there CB .

I always enjoy listening to either futurist Ray Kurzweil or scientist Michio Kaku on coast to coast talking about the coming near future. I guess i'll know that i really lived and saw the future if i happen to be alive when they can cure the holy grail of incurables ''spinal cord paralyses''.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Some cool vids on there CB .

I always enjoy listening to either futurist Ray Kurzweil or scientist Michio Kaku on coast to coast talking about the coming near future. I guess i'll know that i really lived and saw the future if i happen to be alive when they can cure the holy grail of incurables ''spinal cord paralyses''.
He is really good at explaining things in a way that makes it easy to understand. I love his Sci-Fi Science show.

And Ray has some very interesting ideas.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:23 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Very impressive. Being who I am (Someone who catches every editing foobar in movies - It drives Mrs. Tek nuts) I noticed their vision did not include the necessity of wearing seat belts...

Other than that I'm wanting it all by the end of 2012, please.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:50 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Steve Jobs is crying in his grave about this video.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:02 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
There will be plenty of jobs in the rest of the world, even if there aren't any in the imploding USA. By limiting your view to the USA, you are considering only 1/20 of the potential global market and fanciful productive capacity.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There will be plenty of jobs in the rest of the world, even if there aren't any in the imploding USA. By limiting your view to the USA, you are considering only 1/20 of the potential global market and fanciful productive capacity.
I disagree.

Robots and AI will take over those jobs too.

Even in China, where it is low cost, people are going to be replaced by machines.

Foxconn Employees Are Being Replaced By Robot Workers

This is just the beginning.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
I disagree.

Even in China, where it is low cost, people are going to be replaced by machines.

Is it necessary to have jobs done by human labor, even if not necessary to do so, as the only way to distribute the wealth that is created by performing those tasks?

That seems like an extremely backward and counterproductive strategy. What you are saying is that Development and Progress are only happy byproducts of Human Labor, the true objective of advanced civilization. Without creating work, it's all for nothing.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:41 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
I disagree.

Is it cheaper to employ a robot in China than in the USA?

Old 11-06-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Is it necessary to have jobs done by human labor, even if not necessary to do so, as the only way to distribute the wealth that is created by performing those tasks?

That seems like an extremely backward and counterproductive strategy. What you are saying is that Development and Progress are only happy byproducts of Human Labor, the true objective of advanced civilization. Without creating work, it's all for nothing.
Is there enough creative work for billions of people? On another thread, I ask what happens when we no longer need work.

If all our wants and needs were provided for free

answers vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Is it cheaper to employ a robot in China than in the USA?
So it would seem. And better PR too.

Plus, I imagine, once the machines get better, many factories will move back stateside. Just not many jobs with them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology