Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 01:26 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You're both right and wrong if you want to get technical. Hot air gets forced up by colder air, because the gravitational pull of the earth is stronger on the more dense, cold air. To make room for the cold air, the hot air must be pushed out of the way. Thus, it gets pushed up. Rising is not a property of heat. The heat just takes a ride with the air that gets pushed up.

So, essentially, the heat does end up rising. But it is due to gravity and displacement.
I don't know why you need to "get technical" to say that hot air rises or how anything I said is wrong. I think most people are aware of buoyancy and how lighter fluids can rise despite everything being attracted toward the Earth. The end effect is still hot air rising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

Now, below is my OPINION on the question in the OP:

The higher you get, the less dense the air gets due to gravity. Density plays a part in how much energy can be absorbed by matter. This is why higher density materials such as metal and glass retain heat longer than lower density materials such as wood. So, since the air is less dense at the top of a mountain, it cannot absorb much heat, thus creating a colder climate.
You don't have to believe me, but there are plenty of sources out there the describe atmospheric lapse and its origin.

lapse rate (meteorology) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

Lapse rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The adiabatic atmosphere

No need for opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 02:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post

You don't have to believe me, but there are plenty of sources out there the describe atmospheric lapse and its origin.

lapse rate (meteorology) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

The adiabatic atmosphere

No need for opinion.
I wasn't trying to argue. Clearly my opinion was not based on research. That's why I made it a point to indicate it was just an opinion. I'll read up on lapse rate another time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology