U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 07:13 PM

15,066 posts, read 8,891,268 times
Default How does a rocket stay 'balanced' moments after take off?

What forces keep it from toppling over?

MOD CUT

Last edited by linicx; 01-10-2012 at 02:13 AM.. Reason: personal attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 07:15 PM

1,103 posts, read 806,832 times
The nozzle(s) have thrust vectoring to keep the rocket pointed in the proper direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mCWv1axGCE

Skip to about 7:20 and watch the rockets being adjusted in mid-test. Especially the one on the right. It's actually extremely precise.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 01-08-2012 at 07:30 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 08:40 PM

3,360 posts, read 3,287,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
The nozzle(s) have thrust vectoring to keep the rocket pointed in the proper direction.

Saturn V's first stage (S-IC) in its testbed with Dolby 5.1 sound - YouTube

Skip to about 7:20 and watch the rockets being adjusted in mid-test. Especially the one on the right. It's actually extremely precise.
Thank you for answering my question....

I've always wanted to know this...I could never understand how such a tall object could stay aimed perfectly rigid or upward, without toppling over...

Like a tree, that falls, once it's base is no longer secure...

And rockets, moments after lift off, are just like trees, without a base...

They're not moving fast enough for fins to 'stabilize' them...

So I've always wondered why they don't simply 'topple' over...

I mean at least the space shuttle has wings, so i can see how with speed, the wings would work as 'stabilizers'...but plain old skinny tall rockets not toppling over moments after blast off...have always baffled me...

I'll check out the video...and again...thanks...

Old 01-08-2012, 09:54 PM

They're moving faster than you think. The space shuttle is already going several hundred MPH by the time it clears the tower. Even the apparently slow-moving Saturn V rocket is in reality seriously hauling ass. It just looks slow because it's huge.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:08 PM

9,211 posts, read 12,505,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theins View Post
I could never understand how such a tall object could stay aimed perfectly rigid or upward, without toppling over...

US rocket disasters - YouTube
they fail all time it is a very difficult task to get right and no way to say it will be a safe trip and only 3 countries have been able to put man in space on their own rocket program.

Russia and the U.S. and now China is able to do the same but all the world first records go to Russia or the U.S. so far.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:14 PM

14,613 posts, read 5,042,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Nifty stuff. Gimbaling an F-1 must have been a bit of a challenge...

Old 01-09-2012, 08:21 PM

5,012 posts, read 6,247,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post

US rocket disasters - YouTube
they fail all time it is a very difficult task to get right and no way to say it will be a safe trip and only 3 countries have been able to put man in space on their own rocket program.

Russia and the U.S. and now China is able to do the same but all the world first records go to Russia or the U.S. so far.
Umm ... the Delta program has had a 99%+ success rate. The shuttle program had two failures in over 135 launches, making it 98.5% successful.

It's only the Russians who have had a bad run recently. I wouldn't say they "fail all the time."

Old 01-09-2012, 11:26 PM

9,211 posts, read 12,505,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Umm ... the Delta program has had a 99%+ success rate. The shuttle program had two failures in over 135 launches, making it 98.5% successful.

It's only the Russians who have had a bad run recently. I wouldn't say they "fail all the time."
I know but India and China and Russia have had issues and China takes more risks to man some of their Rocket missions that Russia and the US would take more time to do.

they really are doing their launches at a faster rate than they should to review all the in flight data and go over it in depth and they block thier failures from being investigated by either NASA or Russia to see what went cause it to crash and do an independant study.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:03 AM

10,781 posts, read 14,516,391 times
Is there a simple explanation of Thrust Vectoring and how it works?

Thanks

Old 01-10-2012, 03:23 AM

Moving the nozzle changes the direction of the thrust-line relative to the rocket's center of gravity, causing it to turn in a direction that is opposite of the direction of the nozzle:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35930137/Rokkit.png (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology