U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-07-2012, 12:07 AM
 
Location: Texas
5,069 posts, read 5,891,792 times
Reputation: 1537

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
It's rather odd that it took Jim Hoftover a year to respond to that bill. Since it was signed in 20120, where have all the trucker protests bee happening. I've not seen any. I also find it a bit odd that he would suggest (and that is all that it is) that having more fuel efficient trucks is going to wreck the trucking industry, particularly when we see the very high price of today's diesel fuel. That said, imagine how much diesel fuel could be saved if all that long haul freight was moved via rail.
If Obama is objecting to diesel trucks, maybe it is mostly perception. I would agree that there could be a formula for moving some things to trains, but I'm just throwing something to see if it sticks to the wall. I'm certainly not pro Obama.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2012, 12:12 AM
 
23,341 posts, read 17,733,189 times
Reputation: 7675
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agreed. Get the clunkers off the road and get people into smaller vehicles.
I had a 72 f-250 that got about 8MPG that I used to keep around for certain jobs, might of used it 20 times a year. Do you really think it's environmentally friendly or even useful to take that vehicle off the road since it will have to be replaced by something else?


Quote:
America because they say "there is no market for them, people want SUVs." I disagree with that and believe there is a definite market for high mpg cars if they are made available.
Can you walk out of your house and buy a brand new high MPG vehicle right now?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2012, 12:23 AM
 
Location: Texas
5,069 posts, read 5,891,792 times
Reputation: 1537
I've seen these little bitty cars, but I don't know where they get them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2012, 12:24 AM
 
23,341 posts, read 17,733,189 times
Reputation: 7675
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
I also find it a bit odd that he would suggest (and that is all that it is) that having more fuel efficient trucks is going to wreck the trucking industry, particularly when we see the very high price of today's diesel fuel.
The issue becomes the cost of that fuel efficiency, trucks are ridiculously expensive now because of all the new pollution controls which ironically drive fuel economy down. I had a single axle Mercedes Benz that was getting 11 or 12 MPG and that was a 86 but it had no pollution controls. That thing was a work of art, you'd open the hood and there wasn't anything there except the fuel lines and power going to the starter. Just to add the exhaust was very clean compared to other vehicles from that era.

The truck manufacturer would certainly support such a bill becsue they get to produce more expensive trucks, parts etc. Every time you add something to one of these vehicles that's one more thing that needs to be fixed in the future.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2012, 04:13 AM
 
3,486 posts, read 1,333,693 times
Reputation: 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The issue becomes the cost of that fuel efficiency, trucks are ridiculously expensive now because of all the new pollution controls which ironically drive fuel economy down. I had a single axle Mercedes Benz that was getting 11 or 12 MPG and that was a 86 but it had no pollution controls. That thing was a work of art, you'd open the hood and there wasn't anything there except the fuel lines and power going to the starter. Just to add the exhaust was very clean compared to other vehicles from that era.

The truck manufacturer would certainly support such a bill becsue they get to produce more expensive trucks, parts etc. Every time you add something to one of these vehicles that's one more thing that needs to be fixed in the future.
Well, dude, your Mercedes Benz as built today has all those pollution controls and more, gets better gas mileage (20 city/31 hwy mpg) than your 86 clunker did, and requires less maintenance, not more.

The long-haul trucks built today are more expensive for several reasons including the fact that they are larger, more reliable, better built, and last longer. The fact that they will be required to be more efficient will reduce the demand for diesel and further help clean the air of carcenogenic polyaromatic hydrocarbons, a substantial portion of which comes from the exhaust of these trucks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2012, 04:20 AM
 
3,486 posts, read 1,333,693 times
Reputation: 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Can you walk out of your house and buy a brand new high MPG vehicle right now?
Yes.

2012 Ford Fusion Options | View Available Trim Levels | Ford.com

Fuel Efficient Mazdas

All High MPG Cars - Green Vehicles Guide Listing High MPG MSRP MPG and Safety Ratings at Only Drive Green
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2012, 04:43 AM
 
23,341 posts, read 17,733,189 times
Reputation: 7675
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Well, dude, your Mercedes Benz as built today has all those pollution controls and more, gets better gas mileage (20 city/31 hwy mpg) than your 86 clunker did,
You're quoting numbers for a 25K GVW truck?


Quote:
and requires less maintenance, not more.
That truck actually performed very well as far as maintenance and keeping it going. Stuff rarely broke but when it did $$$ compared to my american made trucks. They seem to have the same issue with door handles that VW does...... Arrrrgh, why can't Germans make decent door handles?

In any event I've been involved with the trucking industry for years, the simple fact is if you're going to be running a truck for 500K miles the more stuff just means more stuff to fix, replace and maintain down the road.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2012, 04:51 AM
 
23,341 posts, read 17,733,189 times
Reputation: 7675
This should be directed at bchris, seems they are under the impression you can't find these cars if you want one.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2012, 10:42 AM
 
3,486 posts, read 1,333,693 times
Reputation: 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This should be directed at bchris, seems they are under the impression you can't find these cars if you want one.
I directed it at you because you asked the question.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2012, 10:51 AM
 
3,486 posts, read 1,333,693 times
Reputation: 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You're quoting numbers for a 25K GVW truck?
My mistake.


Quote:
That truck actually performed very well as far as maintenance and keeping it going. Stuff rarely broke but when it did $$$ compared to my american made trucks. They seem to have the same issue with door handles that VW does...... Arrrrgh, why can't Germans make decent door handles?

In any event I've been involved with the trucking industry for years, the simple fact is if you're going to be running a truck for 500K miles the more stuff just means more stuff to fix, replace and maintain down the road.
Well, they have said that about every car and truck for decades, and yet, today's cars and trucks are more complicated than ever, and MORE RELIABE THAN EVER.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top